Morelli Law Firm believes that no one should experience financial suffering on top of injuries caused by another party’s negligence. That is even true for an accident caused by a professional driver.
If you were hurt in a cargo truck accident in New York, New York, Morelli Law Firm may be able to help you. A New York truck accident lawyer from our firm may be able to handle all of the legal work in your case. The potentially recoverable damages in this type of case may include medical bills, lost wages, and more.
Contact Morelli Law Firm today for a free consultation on your case with a member of our team. We represent clients on a contingency-fee-basis with no up-front payments required.
Cargo Truck Accident Causes
Large commercial trucks weigh much more than a regular vehicle, and they can cause significant damages in a collision. New York law, therefore, requires mandatory liability insurance for these types of vehicles.
Sometimes, a truck accident is due to driver negligence, such as speeding, failing to yield, or another violation of traffic law. Other times, these accidents can be cargo related. Commercial trucks often carry significant loads of merchandise, boxes, and cargo. The following cargo-related factors may also lead to an accident:
- Overpacking: to save money through making fewer trips, trucking companies may load their trucks with as much cargo as possible. If a truck is carrying more weight than it is rated for or is legally allowed to carry, an accident may occur.
- Instability: if the cargo is not secured or stored in a balanced fashion, it could shift during transportation or fall off of the truck and enter the road, causing an accident.
- Faulty equipment: truck drivers depend on various pieces of equipment for securing cargo. This equipment may include steel straps, tie-downs, and webbing. Should any of this equipment fail in its function, the cargo may fall from the truck and hit other vehicles.
A New York personal injury lawyer from Morelli Law Firm can investigate your truck accident to determine the cause and the liable party when we represent you.
Have You Been Injured In An Accident? Contact Morelli Law877-751-9800
Potentially Available Compensation in a Truck Accident Case
The attorneys at Morelli Law Firm can represent your rights and interests and help you to pursue compensation for your damages. In general, the potentially recoverable damages in a truck accident case may include:
- Past and future medical costs
- Pain and suffering
- Lost income
- Lost earning capacity
- Property damage
New York Cargo Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me877-751-9800
Wrongful Death Damages
Unfortunately, some truck accidents are fatal. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), 4,136 people lost their lives as a result of a large truck crash in 2018.
If your loved one passed away in a cargo truck accident, Morelli Law Firm may be able to help you file a wrongful death lawsuit and pursue compensation for damages such as funeral costs, pre-death medical care, and more.
A New York Cargo Truck Accident Lawyer Can Defend Your Legal Rights
A New York cargo truck accident lawyer from Morelli Law Firm may be able to provide you with a wide range of legal services when we represent you. This may include:
- Communicating with all parties on our behalf
- Thoroughly investigating your claim and identifying the liable party
- Gathering evidence in support of your claim
- Estimating the value of your damages
- Filing your insurance claim and/or lawsuit
- Negotiating with insurance companies
- Representing you on trial if necessary
Our team can also be available to answer your questions and provide you with legal advice and updates on your case throughout our work together.
To learn more about our services in a free case review with a member of our team, call Morelli Law Firm today at (212) 751-9800.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form nowContact Us
Supporting Evidence in Your Case
In order to successfully prove your case, you may need supporting evidence and documentation. These documents may include:
- A police report
- Photographs from the accident scene
- Eyewitness statements when available
- Medical records that provide details concerning treatment and visits
- Evidence that you missed work as a result of your accident
Morelli Law Firm can help you collect evidence such as this when we represent you. We may also be able to hire accident reconstruction experts to testify in your defense.
The Time Limit to Sue in Truck Accident Cases
There are deadlines to file certain types of lawsuits in New York:
- Per New York Civil Practice Law & Rules (CVP) §214, there is a general three-year statute of limitations on personal injury lawsuits.
- Per New York Estates, Powers & Trusts (EPT) §5-4.1, there is a general two-year statute of limitations on wrongful death lawsuits.
If you fail to act by the specific deadline that pertains to your case, your lawsuit may be dismissed, and you may be unable to recover compensation for your damages. Because of this, Morelli Law Firm encourages you to call us as soon as possible after your accident.
Call Morelli Law Firm Today
If you or a loved one were injured in a cargo accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your damages. While you focus on your recovery, a New York cargo truck accident lawyer from Morelli Law Firm may be able to manage all aspects of your case.
For a free case review with a member of our team, call Morelli Law Firm today at (212) 751-9800. We may be able to provide you with representation on a contingency-fee-basis with no up-front payments required. We only collect attorney fees in this arrangement if and when you recover compensation via a settlement offer or court award.
Morelli Law Firm represents clients in New York City, on Long Island, and in New York State up to Albany. We also operate in Northern New Jersey and Philadelphia.