If you live in Buffalo, New York, and were recently injured in an accident that could have been prevented had another party taken proper precautions, you may be entitled to pursue compensation. We can help you understand if you qualify for a personal injury lawsuit.
A personal injury lawyer in Buffalo can help you build your case and fight for financial recovery of any damages you suffered. Our team offers free consultations where prospective clients can speak with one of our representatives about their case and learn more about their legal options.
Your Personal Injury Case May Entitle You to Recover Damages
If you suffered an injury due to someone else’s negligence, you may have damages that are recoverable by law. Compensatory damages are unique to each individual, in that the amount of financial compensation you may be entitled to collect is based on the total amount of your financial damages and general losses.
Compensatory damages include:
- Pain and suffering and inconvenience, which can be both physical and emotional
- Income loss due to your injuries, including future income loss if your injuries are permanent or long-term
- Medical treatment expenses, such as costs for surgeries, doctor’s visits, prescription medicines, and diagnostic exams, among other medical care services
- Property damage, which includes costs to repair or replace damaged property (e.g., a vehicle)
- Diminished quality of life or loss of joy in former hobbies and activities
- Permanent disability or physical disfigurement
You may be entitled to receive other compensatory damages. Once our Buffalo personal injury attorneys review your case, we can discuss how much compensation you should pursue. We also intend to factor in future losses you might experience, as you will not be able to pursue additional compensation once your case settles.
Our NY Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You Compile Your Case
Should you hire a Buffalo personal injury lawyer from our team, we will work diligently to create a case that establishes how another party caused your injuries and damages. One of the benefits about working with our team is that you won’t need to worry about managing legal tasks because we can handle it for you. Some of these legal tasks include:
- Assessing all the evidence available in your case
- Requesting and retrieving additional evidence to support your case
- Working with medical providers to determine the recovery process for your injuries
- Calculating the value of your total damages
- Interviewing eyewitnesses if there are any
- Handling legal paperwork required to move your case forward
- Negotiating settlements with insurance adjusters or the opposing side
- Representing your case in a trial if needed
Our team is also available to provide legal advice when you want it. As your legal team, we aim to be transparent about your case. Your word is final in all legal decisions. Still, we can advise you should you have questions or concerns about which direction to take, such as whether you should accept a settlement offer based on its fairness.
Your Personal Injury Lawsuit Has a Time Limit
CVP § 214 states that you can file a lawsuit against a negligent party about a personal injury, but you must do so within the time allotted. According to this statute, you generally have up to three years from the date of injury to file your lawsuit in New York.
If your loved one passed away as a result of their injuries, you or another surviving family member may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit. Per EPTL § 5-4.1, you generally have two years from your loved one’s death to do so.
Why Filing Your Case on Time Is Important
If you fail to submit your lawsuit on time, your case could get dismissed, meaning:
- You may be barred from pursuing compensation from the negligent party.
- You would have to cover your damages out of pocket, not the negligent party.
- Any future damages you may experience also falls on you to cover.
A personal injury lawyer in Buffalo from our team can help you make sure to file your case on time. Our team will monitor your case’s filing deadline and alert you when you need to take action.
Should I File a Personal Injury Lawsuit After an Accident?
Every year, people get injured in a variety of ways, from falling down some steps to getting in a car wreck. You may be wondering if your injury is grounds for a legal case. If your injuries occurred because another party acted carelessly, negligently, or maliciously, you may be entitled to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit.
A personal injury case is based on “tort law,” which involves holding the party responsible if they are at fault for harming another person. In other words, you may be able to collect financial compensation if you become injured due to someone else’s wrongdoing.
Types of Cases Our Personal Injury Lawyers in Buffalo Handle
Our law firm handles the following types of personal injury cases, including:
- Product liability cases: These cases can involve defective products, including dangerous pharmaceutical drugs. If you were injured because of a defect in a product’s design, manufacturing, or marketing, you may be entitled to compensation.
- Automobile accident cases: These cases involve collisions between vehicles of any type, such as passenger cars, trucks, motorcycles, Uber/Lyft vehicles, taxis, and commercial vehicles. If you are a bicyclist or pedestrian who was hit by a vehicle, you can also file a personal injury claim or lawsuit.
- Medical malpractice cases: When medical professionals fail to uphold the standard of care they must afford you and you become injured in their care, you may qualify for compensation.
- Construction accident cases: If you were working on a construction site or passing through one when you suffered an injury, you may be entitled to receive compensation.
If your situation does not fall under one of these categories, our team can still review your case. For example, if you have suffered from a slip and fall at a restaurant, we may be able to help you prepare your case against the negligent restaurant owner.
Contact Our Buffalo Personal Injury Lawyers Today
At Morelli Law Firm, we are ready to take on your case so that you can move forward in life. We are prepared to negotiate with third parties to reach a satisfactory deal or take it to trial if need be.
Learn how a Buffalo personal injury attorney from our team can help you with your case by speaking with one of our team representatives in a free consultation. Call Morelli Law Firm or fill out our contact form today.