If you or a loved one was in an automobile accident that caused severe injury and damages, you may be struggling to keep up with expenses related to the accident. You might also be in physical and/or emotional pain. This is all too common for many people after car accidents.
Fortunately, you may be able to pursue compensation for your damages via a claim or lawsuit. A New York car accident lawyer from our firm wants to represent you in your case. We offer a free case evaluation so that you know what your legal options are.
Your Injuries May Entitle You to Compensation
Every case is different, so there is no way of knowing exactly what compensation may be available in your case without a direct consultation. When we discuss your case with you, we can categorize your damages to identify both the financial and non-financial consequences you have suffered.
While our NY car accident attorneys want to pursue compensation for your financial damages, we also want to pursue compensation that reflects the physical and emotional toll the car accident had on you or your loved one.
Referred to as economic damages, your financial damages encompass every debt, expense, and financial loss you experienced because of the accident and/or your injuries. In general, these damages may include:
- Costs for ambulance services, hospitalization, and ER treatment
- Costs of other medical care, including surgery, therapy, and medication
- Future costs of medical care
- Lost wages if you missed work due to your injuries
- Future wages you will lose as a result of having long-term or permanent injuries
- Reduced earning potential
- Costs to fix or replace the property that was damaged in the accident, such as your vehicle
We may suggest other financial damages based on the specifics of your case.
Referred to as non-economic damages, your general damages involve more subjective forms of losses, such as the physical and emotional pain you suffered after the car accident.
These losses can be more ambiguous since they do not have a monetary value, but our car accident lawyers in New York can assign a figure to them that reflects the accident’s impact on your life. These damages may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability, including vision and hearing loss
- Physical disfigurement, including scarring and burns
- Diminished quality of life
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
- Loss of consortium or changes in your relationship with loved ones
Our Legal Team Provides Multiple Services When Managing Legal Cases
Car accidents often leave victims with negative life impacts, and some of the effects can last for months or even years after the accident. If you are facing severe physical injury, you may find it challenging to pursue compensation for the losses incurred.
A lawyer from our team can relieve you of the burden of legal work. When you hire Morelli Law Firm, our team works together to build and manage your case. This involves:
- Answering your legal questions and giving you legal advice
- Discussing possible outcomes in your case
- Managing your legal paperwork and deadlines
- Communicating with all parties on your behalf
- Identifying the liable party or parties
- Gathering evidence for your case
- Placing a value on your injuries based on evidence
- Negotiating a potential settlement offer with the responsible party’s insurance company
- Taking your case to trial if the other party is not willing to make you a fair settlement offer
When you allow a car accident attorney from our firm to take these tasks off your shoulders, you can concentrate your time and energy on recovering from your injuries.
New York Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
We Will Make Sure Your Case Is Filed By Its Statutory Deadline
If you are considering legal action after a traffic accident, it is better if you speak with an attorney sooner rather than later. According to CPLR § 214, a three-year statute of limitations may apply to your personal injury case.
In some cases, such as in lawsuits against a municipality or county agency, you may have even shorter deadlines to comply with, as detailed in GMU § 50-E. We can discuss what deadlines pertain to your case during your consultation.
We Investigate How the Other Party Caused Your Accident
Thousands of traffic accidents happen in New York City, and preventable, negligent behaviors caused too many; they should never have happened.
In order to recover compensation from the other party, you need to prove their negligence caused your accident. There are many ways that a driver can be negligent on the road. Some car accident causes include:
- Distracted driving, including texting, eating, grooming, or adjusting the settings of the car
- Drunk or intoxicated driving
- Road rage or aggressive driving
- Drowsy driving
- Not adjusting to inclement weather
- Driving an unsafe vehicle
- Violating a traffic law
In some cases, a car accident can happen due to a negligent mechanic or parts manufacturer. For example, if a vehicle defect caused the accident, we may argue that the parts manufacturer should have recalled the defective part or that a mechanic should have spotted the defect while working on the vehicle.
A car accident attorney from Morelli Law Firm can investigate your case for liability. We are not intimidated by complex cases or multiparty liability. If someone’s negligence on the road caused you to be injured, we believe they should be held accountable.
Proactive Steps You Can Take After a Car Accident
Our car accident lawyers in New York recommend the following steps after your accident. If you did not or could not take one or more of these steps, you do not have to let that stop you from contacting our firm. We may still be able to help you pursue a case against the liable party.
Seek Medical Care
It is always a good idea to seek immediate medical care after an accident. Even if you feel OK, internal injuries may be hidden, and subtle symptoms could get worse. A doctor can fully evaluate you and begin treatment. They can also create a link in your medical record between the accident and your injuries that may be used in your case.
While it is our job to collect evidence for you, you should keep and preserve any evidence from the accident if possible. This includes:
- Witness contact information
- The other driver’s contact information
- The police report
- Medical records
These documents may all be useful in your case. They all contain potentially crucial information.
Be Cautious When Communicating About Your Case
We recommend using caution when communicating about your case with insurance companies or on social media. This is because:
- Insurance companies may be able to use minor inconsistencies or omissions in your statements to reduce or deny your claim.
- Insurance companies may be able to obtain your comments on social media and use them to “prove” that you are not as bad off as your lawsuit claims. For instance, if you post about spending the day out with friends, they may try to claim this is proof that you have recovered and do not need damages.
- Insurance companies may offer you a lowball settlement right away. This might seem like easy money, but it is really designed to prevent you from suing for additional money in the future.
In short, it is important to remember that the liable party’s insurance company will do anything to reduce their payout. Instead of speaking to them alone, you can let a car accident attorney from our firm represent you in all meetings with insurance representatives.
Our New York Car Accident Lawyers Are Here to Help
If you have been involved in an auto wreck, you are not alone. A car accident lawyer in New York from Morelli Law Firm may be able to represent you. For a free consultation on your case and your legal options, call us at (212) 751-9800 at any time. Members of our team are standing by to speak with you.