When someone else injures you because they acted irresponsibly, negligently, or maliciously, you have the right to expect financial recovery. Of course, some people are not going to willingly pay for their actions, and trying to work with an insurance company can seem like it requires skill and knowledge of the law. You do not have to take this on alone—the aid of a Mount Vernon personal injury lawyer at Morelli Law Firm is available to you.
Some of the damages you can file for include physical injuries, such as broken bones, whiplash, concussions, or other injuries. Additional damages can include emotional pain and suffering and financial loss from being out of work. We will help you claim financial losses and seek the compensation you deserve. Call Morelli Law Firm at (212) 751-9800 and find out more information about your case.
Recovering Damages from a Personal Injury Case
When you incur a personal injury, you deserve to collect compensation for the damages. Whether you have significant physical, emotional, or financial losses, you can pursue financial recovery. Depending on how the incident impacted your life and the evidence we uncover to prove your damages, you may qualify to recover compensation for:
- The income you were unable to earn while healing from your injuries
- Future wages, if your injuries are not fully healed before the end of your case
- Treatment and medications you needed and continue to need to address your injuries
- Assistive devices, such as a wheelchair or crutches
- Any lasting effects of your injuries, such as a disability that affects your ability to work or enjoy life
- Pain and suffering
Our team will need to present proof of the damages above in order to prove your right to recover them. The earlier we get involved in your case, the easier it will be to preserve evidence and keep track of your expenses and losses. However, evidence collection is not the only reason to act quickly.
Your Time to Take Legal Action is Limited
Under New York Civil Practice Law & Rules (CVP) §214, you have up to three years to file a lawsuit. This window starts from the date of the incident and includes time spent healing, searching for an attorney, compiling evidence to build your case, and negotiating with an insurance company.
Knowing all that goes into seeking personal injury compensation and the importance of collecting evidence early, you want to get started as soon as you can. Once this deadline passes, the court can dismiss your lawsuit no matter how compelling the evidence.
With the aid of a Mount Vernon personal injury lawyer from our team, you can have peace of mind that we will protect your right to sue however we can.
What You Can Expect from Working with an Attorney at Morelli Law Firm
Your Mount Vernon personal injury lawyer on our team will work diligently to build a strong case for you that meets the burden of proof. Even if the other party was not entirely at fault and you became injured, they can be held proportionately liable for the accident.
You will not need to worry about getting all the material ready to prove the case because your Mount Vernon personal injury lawyer will manage this for you. Some of the jobs our team will handle include:
- Gathering and assessing all the evidence
- Working with medical providers to make sure the proper record is pulled
- Adding up the amount of money lost in damages
- Interviewing eyewitnesses, when necessary
- Negotiating settlements with insurance adjusters
At Morelli Law Firm, we have worked on personal injury claims for a wide variety of clients and are familiar with these cases. When you connect with a Mount Vernon personal injury lawyer at Morelli Law Firm, you have someone fighting on your side.
Your Recovery is Our Priority
Personal injuries are often disastrous and traumatic for the victim. When someone else is the cause of your accident, you should not have to take on the monetary cost of recovering. You have the right to seek financial recovery from the other party.
At Morelli Law Firm, our goal is to create a rock-solid case during the negotiation phase so that we will not have to even go to a trial. This route often provides the fastest financial relief for our clients. However, we will not compromise on fighting for the value of your case, and we will go to court when necessary. Some of our results for past clients include:
- $7.4 million for a client who was struck by a truck while making deliveries on his bicycle
- A verdict of $5.5 million for a client who was struck while crossing the street
- $30 million for a client who lost his legs in a subway accident
You deserve a legal advocate like our attorneys at Morelli Law Firm who will fight for your case.
What to Do Immediately After Suffering a Personal Injury
When you suffer injuries in an accident, and someone else is at fault, there are certain steps you can take from the beginning to support your case.
Whenever you have an injury with someone else involved, it is a good idea to take notes of what happened soon afterward. Things are always fresher in your memory right after the incident. Simply write down what happened or record it on your smartphone. Also, write down the names of any eyewitnesses.
Fill Out the Police Report
Police reports are usually only relevant in certain cases, such as a vehicle accident, dog bite incident, or potentially a defamation case. So, if you do need to fill one out, make sure to give and get all the pertinent details.
See a Doctor
Some people feel like they are ok after an accident. However, it is still vital to have a medical professional examine you for any hidden or internal injuries. In addition, you should let the doctor know about any pain you have. Then, if something arises in the future, you can trace it back to your initial complaint.
Seek an Attorney’s Advice
You can reclaim your future by pursuing your financial recovery when someone else caused your injuries. A Mount Vernon personal injury lawyer with Morelli Law Firm can help you accomplish that.
Personal Injury Cases We Can Help with
Personal injury cases occur quite often. Every year people are injured in a variety of ways. What makes a personal injury a legal claim? The fact that someone acted negligently, recklessly, or with malice will be the determining factor. From the Legal Information Institute (LII), these cases are known as tort law. You can recover financially when you suffer injuries because of someone else’s wrongdoing.
Some of the more common types of personal injury cases include:
- Slip, trip, and fall cases: To prove this type of injury, you need to show that someone left a slippery or cluttered surface with no warning signs and did not take steps to correct the hazard.
- Product liability cases: When a defective product ends up harming you, then a personal injury claim is likely. You could hold the manufacturer liable.
- Car accident cases: Car accidents are commonplace, with thousands occurring every year. Often, the cause of an accident is negligence, and personal injury is evident.
- Medical malpractice cases: A personal injury is a common result of a physician’s mistake. These kinds of errors are more common than people realize, according to a study by John Hopkins University.
- Dog bite cases: if a dog bite injures you, then you can potentially file a personal injury claim against the negligent owner.
- Defamation cases: If someone defames your character, name, or reputation with untrue statements, then you can bring a personal injury case.
Contact the Attorneys on Our Mount Vernon Team Today for Help
From gathering the evidence to negotiating a settlement for you, we will be with you every step of the way. Get in touch today to discuss working with a Mount Vernon personal injury lawyer at Morelli Law Firm. Call us at (212) 751-9800. We will provide you a no-obligation case consultation.