Accidents can be difficult to move on from both physically and financially. Accident injuries can disrupt your life in many ways, but the costs of treatment, missed time at work, and other financial losses that can accompany an accident can be just as damaging.
If someone else caused your accident, your damages might be their financial responsibility—not yours. Morelli Law Firm helps accident victims in Hempstead, New York, figure out:
- Who caused their injuries
- How much money they may deserve
- What options they have to pursue compensation
Then, we help them fight for compensation in insurance claims and lawsuits.
To learn more about working with a Hempstead personal injury lawyer from Morelli Law Firm on your case, call us today at (212) 751-9800. A member of our team will be happy to take your call and provide you with a free case review.
The Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
There are many types of situations that can give rise to a personal injury case. Morelli Law Firm regularly handles cases related to:
- Truck and automobile accidents
- Construction accidents
- Railroad disasters
- Slip and fall accidents
- Nursing home abuse
- Medical malpractice
- Defective drugs or medical devices
We may be able to help you with other types of accidents not listed here, which is why we encourage anyone wondering about their legal options to call us for a free case review.
Negligence Is Key to a Personal Injury Case
Most personal injury cases are based upon an act of negligence. For a personal injury case to exist, the following elements of negligence typically need to be in place:
- The defendant owed the plaintiff a duty of care to behave a certain way.
- The defendant failed to uphold this duty.
- This failure harmed the plaintiff.
- The plaintiff sustained financial losses as a result of this harm.
Often, there are laws that add nuance to this process, such as those governing employer liability or medical malpractice.
A Hempstead personal injury lawyer from Morelli Law Firm can help you understand the specific laws that pertain to your case and guide you through the entire legal process when we represent you.
We can also collect evidence to establish the elements of negligence mentioned above on your behalf.
If you would like to learn more about working with Morelli Law Firm on your case, call our personal injury team today at (212) 751-9800.
Hempstead Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
The Damages You May Be Entitled to Receive
One of the most important things to understand at the beginning of your case is the potential value of your damages. This amount will help you determine if a settlement offer is fair or if you should break off settlement negotiations and take your case to trial.
Everyone’s damages are unique and specific to the way their accident affected them. With that said, some general damage categories that may be available in a personal injury case in New York include:
- Medical care: The responsible party may be liable for all of the medical treatment necessary for you to make a full recovery. If you are still in the recovery process during your case, estimating your future medical care costs will be an important part of assigning a value to this damage type.
- Property damage: If any of your property was hurt or destroyed in the accident, like your car or cell phone, you can request the cost of getting it repaired or replaced.
- Loss of income: If you had to miss work, lose benefits, or sacrifice income of any sort due to your accident or recovery process, this type of loss can also be added to your claim.
- Reduced earning capability: If your injuries are so serious that you must stop working or permanently lower your income, you may deserve compensation for your reduced earning capability.
- Pain and suffering: You may also be able to receive compensation for the physical and mental anguish caused by your injuries.
Other types of damages not listed here may also be available in your case.
Morelli Law Firm will interview you about how your injuries cost you money and affected your life when we calculate your damages.
We will back up these calculations using evidence, such as:
- Your medical records and bills
- Income documents from your work or tax forms
- Receipts for damaged property or out-of-pocket expenses
- Expert witness testimony
- Precedent from past cases
There Are Deadlines to Sue in New York
New York has various laws in place that determine how much time you have to file a lawsuit. The general deadlines include:
- Personal injury and defective drug lawsuits: three years, per CVP § 214.
- Medical malpractice lawsuits: two years and six months, per CVP § 214-A.
- Lawsuits against a government agency: Ninety days to file a Notice of Claim, per GMU § 50-E.
If you miss a deadline in your case, it could mean that you lose your right to sue. By contacting Morelli Law Firm soon after your accident, we can inform you about your case’s specific legal deadlines and help you meet them.
How Morelli Law Firm Can Help You
When you hire Morelli Law Firm to represent you, you can expect us to:
- Speak with all other parties and their representatives on your behalf via phone, email, or mail
- Collect evidence that establishes the responsible party’s liability and the value of your damages
- Initiate legal action by filing insurance claims or lawsuits on your behalf
- Negotiate with the other party’s representatives for a settlement offer
- Take your case to trial if necessary
- Continuously update you on what’s happening in your case, your options, and any decisions you need to make
At Morelli Law Firm, we provide our services on a contingency-fee basis, meaning our clients do not have to pay us anything for our efforts unless they win their case and receive payment for their damages.
Get Your Free Consultation Today
Morelli Law Firm offers free, no-obligation case reviews to accident victims in Hempstead. This is an opportunity for you to discuss your case and your legal options with our team and learn more about what we can do for you.
If you qualify, we will offer to assign a Hempstead personal injury lawyer to your case.
To get started, call us at (212) 751-9800 today.