Accidents can occur at a moment’s notice, but many of them are preventable. When someone else’s negligence causes you injury or the wrongful death of a loved one, you may pursue compensation from them through a personal injury claim or lawsuit.
This legal action allows injured people to fight for financial recovery of your damages, like medical bills and income loss. If you or a loved one was an accident victim, let a personal injury lawyer in Long Island help you build a case against the liable party.
We Can Help You Understand How Much Your Case Is Worth
Many victims don’t know how much money, in terms of compensation, they’re supposed to get from their injuries. The damages you have experienced could be compensable without you realizing it.
When you consult our Long Island personal injury attorneys and let us review your case for free, we can assess how much compensation you may be entitled to receive.
Don’t Accept an Insurance Company’s First Offer
Not accepting an insurance company’s first offer can be strategic for you if they reach out to give you a settlement offer for your damages. A Long Island personal injury attorney can calculate your damages and determine whether their offer is fair, which is often not the case if it’s their first offer.
The insurance company might give you minimum values that their policy allows without factoring in future damages you might experience because of your injuries. However, our team can discuss with you personally what hardships you’ve faced, thus allowing us to reach a more accurate figure of how much compensation you should receive.
New York’s No-Fault Coverage
Because New York is a “no-fault” state, car insurance claims cannot determine the liable party following a car accident. Each party files a claim with their respective insurance company.
New York drivers must carry $50,000 no-fault insurance (the minimum auto insurance requirement) to cover damages in the event of an accident. The no-fault policy covers compensatory damages, like damaged property, lost wages, or medical expenses,
We Know Which Damages Are Compensable by Law
The following damages are compensable in Long Island personal injury cases:
- Medical treatment expenses, including costs for emergency room care, doctor’s appointments, prescription medicines, and physical therapy
- Property damage, which can involve repair costs or cash value to replace damaged property (e.g., a totaled car)
- Pain and suffering, both physical and emotional
- Diminished quality of life
- Current and future loss of wages and benefits
- Reduced earning potential
- Permanent disability and physical disfigurement
Once we review your case, we may suggest other damages not listed here. Each personal injury case is unique to an individual’s personal damages, so we will explain how we intend to calculate the value of your injuries.
You Can Focus on Your Recovery While We Build Your Case
Aside from calculating the value of your losses, working with our law firm comes with other convenient benefits. For example, if you are still recovering from your injuries or are overwhelmed by the prospect of building your own legal case, let us take that responsibility on your behalf. We can shoulder the burden of building your case while you rest.
Working with a Long Island personal injury lawyer from our team means we will provide the following services:
- Analyzing and calculating the value of your damages
- Barring insurance companies from exploiting you
- Consulting with a medical officer to determine future health care costs
- Handling legal paperwork on your behalf and making sure all documents are filed on time
- Communicating with interested parties on your behalf, such as insurance companies and defending attorneys
- Gathering evidence to support your claims about how you injured, who injured you, and what damages you experienced
- Representing you during negotiations or a trial case
Personal Injury Cases We Handle
Our law firm handles the following types of personal injury cases:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Defective drugs and products
- Medical malpractice
- Construction accidents
- Railroad accidents
This is not an exhaustive list, and our personal injury lawyers in Long Island can review the specifics of your case with you during a consultation.
When Negotiations Don’t Come Through
In some cases, negotiations may not go as planned. The insurance company might not agree to your terms or believe you deserve the amount of compensation you are pursuing. If this happens, we may suggest filing a lawsuit to continue your legal efforts to fight for compensation.
Still, there is a deadline for personal injury cases. Per CVP § 214, you generally have three years to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you do not file within this deadline, your case might get dismissed and you may be barred from pursuing compensation.
We Will Keep Track of Your Case so That It Gets Filed on Time
It is possible to settle insurance claims through alternative means. The process is complex and can happen before or after trial. A Long Island personal injury attorney from our firm can help you negotiate a settlement with an insurer. Our team can help you abide by the statute of limitations by:
- Reviewing your medical records and accident report to determine your case’s statutory deadline
- Keeping track of the filing deadline while negotiating an insurance settlement for you
- Filing all the necessary paperwork and setting the process in motion well before a decision to file a lawsuit
Do not let your opportunity to hold a negligent party responsible for your losses pass you by. The sooner you call us, the sooner we can begin putting together your case and reaching out to the liable parties.
Our Law Firm Works on a Contingency-Fee Basis
Our attorney’s fee structure is on a contingency basis, meaning we charge no upfront payment for representation. We only collect payment if we secure a settlement or court-awarded recovery on your behalf.
You can learn more about our fee system in a free consultation with one of our team representatives.
Get Representation With a Long Island Personal Injury Attorney
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident that could have been prevented, such as a car accident or a slip and fall, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your damages.
A Long Island, NY personal injury lawyer can guide you through the litigation process to seek fair compensation. Call Morelli Law Firm or fill out our contact form for guidance on your personal injury lawsuit.