When you suffer from an accident caused by another party’s negligent actions, you should not have to deal with the consequences without compensation. You may be able to seek financial recovery from the responsible party in Philadelphia under personal injury laws.
A Philadelphia personal injury attorney could represent you in settlement negotiations or a personal injury lawsuit against the responsible party. We offer a free, no-obligation case review to accident victims to get started. If you believe some else’s negligence caused your injuries, we can help you find out more information about your case.
PA Statute of Limitations in Personal Injury Cases
Pennsylvania law allows for victims to seek compensation in personal injury cases. You have every right to pursue financial compensation if you’ve been injured because of someone else’s actions. But Pennsylvania’s statute of limitations means you have to file within a specific time after the accident takes place if you plan to sue.
In Pennsylvania, you have up to two years to file a personal injury lawsuit, according to Pa. C.S.A. § 5524. If this time limit expires before you take legal action, you could lose your right to recover compensation in a lawsuit, even if you have strong evidence on your side.
However, other filing deadlines could apply if certain factors are involved. A Philadelphia personal injury attorney from our team can discuss what timelines pertain to your case once we begin our investigation.
Working With a Personal Injury Lawyer on Your Case
When you work with a personal injury attorney in Philadelphia from our team, you can concentrate on your recovery while we:
- Answer your questions and provide legal advice
- Handle all legal deadlines, paperwork, and communications for you
- Identify the liable party
- Gather evidence of their liability
- Work with medical providers to assess the costs of your injuries
- Calculate lost wage information
- Negotiate a settlement with the insurance company
- Take your case to trial if they do not make you a fair offer
We will handle as much of your case as possible to limit any further harm or stress you experience from the incident. Our goal is to secure your damages from the liable party so you can move forward.
Our Personal Injury Practice Areas
Just about any kind of accident that someone causes due to negligence may fall within personal injury laws. These cases are based on “tort law.” This category of law may allow you to recover financially when you are injured because of someone else’s wrongdoing.
Some types of injury cases that our firm handles involve the following:
- Medical malpractice: Medical malpractice is the cause of numerous deaths each year. When a physician’s actions fall beneath the accepted standard of care, it can constitute negligence.
- Defective drugs: If a defective drug harms you or your loved one though you took it as directed, you may be eligible for a product liability case against the manufacturer.
- Collisions: Car and truck accidents are the most common personal injury cases. Drivers can be negligent behind the wheel in multiple ways, such as by texting, speeding, drinking and driving, or falling asleep at the wheel.
- Nursing home abuse: Nursing home residents can be the most vulnerable to others’ negligence. If your loved one was taken advantage of physically, emotionally, or financially, or they experienced neglect at the hands of staff, you could seek to hold the facility accountable.
If you believe that someone else’s negligence caused your or your family member’s injuries, no matter what the situation, a representative from our firm can discuss your case for free. We may be able to assign a personal injury lawyer in Philadelphia to represent you.
Recovering Damages in a Personal Injury Case
When someone acts negligently or recklessly, it can lead to accidents that cause severe injuries, as well as emotional and financial damages. Some of the damages you may be able to recover in a personal injury case include:
- Ambulance services and ER care
- Medical bills, including treatment, therapy, medication, and more
- Estimated future costs of medical care
- The financial loss of income from wages
- Pain and suffering
If your family member died due to the negligence of another party, you may be able to recover compensation in a wrongful death lawsuit, per Pa. C.S.A. § 8301. This type of legal action could allow you to recover a different set of damages.
Proving Liability for Your Damages
When you work with a Philadelphia personal injury attorney, our firm will investigate the incident that led to your or your loved one’s injuries to determine who the liable party is. We can then gather evidence of their liability, which may include:
- Photos and videos
- Witness statement
- Police reports
- Your medical records
- Testimony from accident reconstruction experts
Once we have gathered this evidence, we can present it to the responsible party’s insurance company for settlement negotiations or submit it to a judge. If the responsible party’s insurance company is unwilling to make you a fair settlement offer, our team is not afraid to take your case to trial.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer in Philadelphia Today
If someone’s negligent act has injured you, you are not alone. A personal injury lawyer in Philadelphia from Morelli Law Firm may be able to represent you. Doing so would allow us to fully manage your case while you focus on your treatment and wellbeing.
Call Morelli Law Firm for a free, no-obligation consultation with a member of our team. Our firm wants you to have peace of mind and to be able to focus on your recovery when we handle your case.