Being in a rental car accident can be an extremely stressful experience. If you or a loved one were injured in a rental car accident, you may be able to recover damages. We can assign a New York rental car accident lawyer to work on your case and pursue compensation on your behalf.
Getting into an Accident While Renting a Car Can Be Stressful
Even though a car accident may result in only minor damage and no fatalities, it can still be a stressful event. It can be even worse if you get involved in a car accident while driving a rental car. You might be concerned about the costs of repairs, especially if you did not pay for insurance before renting the vehicle.
Companies may take advantage of all kinds of policy stipulations and add-ons and throw them at you. Do not let any of this scare you. A New York car accident lawyer is here to help you understand your rights, obligations, and responsibilities in the case of a New York rental car accident.
If you or a loved one was injured in a rental car accident, contact Morelli Law Firm at (212) 751-9800. We want to understand your situation and help you potentially recover the compensation you might be entitled to receive for your damages.
Have You Been Injured In An Accident? Contact Morelli Law877-751-9800
Rental Car Accidents Can Lead to Serious Injuries
Several variables in a car accident may determine what kind of injuries you experience. Factors like speed, safety precautions, and type of vehicle might play a role in your accident. With this in mind, some common injuries victims might sustain in a rental car accident include:
- Cuts and bruising
- Back and neck injuries
- Fractured bones
- Head trauma
- Wrongful death
Renters Can Take Certain Steps After a Car Accident
According to the Department of Insurance, Securities, and Banking (DISB), renters should follow the following steps if they get involved in a traffic accident with their rental vehicle:
- Make sure everyone is safe: Review the situation first to make sure that no one is injured. Call 911 immediately, particularly if anyone suffered injuries. To avoid blocking traffic, relocate your car to the shoulder of the road or to another safe area if possible.
- Collect evidence: Exchange contact and insurance information with other drivers and injured parties involved in the crash. Instead of writing down details, take photos, using your smartphone for convenience.
- Call your insurance agent: File a claim with your personal auto insurance company or credit card company. If a policyholder delays filing their claim immediately after the accident, claims may be rejected.
- Call the car rental company: When experiencing trouble, most rental car companies provide you an emergency 24-hour number to dial. Call them after the accident and ask them what to do next. If your vehicle is capable of driving, the rental company may ask you to bring it to one of their offices or have it be towed.
- File a report with the rental company: You are expected to file a report detailing the accident, type of damage to the vehicle, and injuries suffered to the rental company.
- Call a law firm: If you are involved in a rental car crash, you might want to consider hiring a New York rental car accident lawyer immediately. These cases are often less clear since they may involve several liable parties, insurance agencies, corporate entities, and legal contracts.
You Need to Establish Liability for a Rental Car Accident
The same procedure for determining responsibility in a rental car crash applies as if the driver was driving their own car. New York is a “no-fault” state, which means your insurer may have to bear the costs of the accident, regardless of who was at fault of the accident.
In New York, drivers are required to have the minimum coverage of liability as part of their auto insurance plan. The state also requires drivers to have uninsured motorist (UM) coverage in case they get into accidents with an uninsured driver or a hit-and-run driver.
Although most rental car incidents hold one of the drivers at fault, there are situations where the rental company may be found liable. For example, if the car had flaws that the rental company knew about prior to the accident and refused to repair these problems that caused the accident, the rental company may be found at fault for the accident due to their negligence. The NYC personal injury attorney at Morelli Law are extremely knowledgable of motor vehicle laws and can help you navigate this sometimes confusing process.
How to Get Coverage to Cover Rental Car Accidents
There are three main methods of avoiding harm while renting a vehicle. These options include:
- Transfer your insurance coverage: You may be able to transfer coverage to your rental car if you have full coverage for your vehicle.
- Buy the car rental company’s coverage: Rental companies often have various insurance plans that you can choose to prevent you from being responsible for a rental car crash.
- Use insurance on credit cards: Some credit card firms provide compensation for rental car accidents to protect you from liability. If you are using a credit card to pay for your vehicle rental, check the status of your credit card coverage first.
Get a New York Rental Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you suffered injuries and damages from a rental car accident, you might be worried about what to do next. Call Morelli Law Firm at (212) 751-9800. We can listen to your situation and discuss your legal options. If we determine you might have grounds for a personal injury case, we can help you build your case and start pursuing compensation.