Being injured in a parking lot accident can leave you injured and feeling vulnerable. You do not have to face this difficult situation alone. If you have been injured in a parking lot accident, you may be entitled to recover damages. Contact Morelli Law Firm at (212) 751-9800 to see if a New York parking lot accident lawyer can help you pursue compensation for your losses.
Parking Lots Can Be Dangerous Places
In a parking lot, vehicles, pedestrians, and shopping carts can be moving in every direction. More often than not, drivers and pedestrians may get distracted by a variety of factors, including stressful errands, noisy children, or their cell phones. These events can result in an accident.
Accidents involving parked vehicles can even be fatal. The Insurance Information Institute (III) reported that 1.2% of fatal car crashes involved a parked vehicle.
Private Property and Public Property
Parking lots can be located on either private or public property, but oftentimes, most parking lots are found on private property. This fact, however, does not negate the legal duty of care of drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and car park operators. If any degree of negligence is found to have caused a parking lot accident, then an individual or multiple parties may be liable for injuries or damage to vehicles.
New York Parking Lot Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
The Role of Police in a Parking Lot Accident
The police may not respond to an accident on private property as they would if it were on a public road. This means there is no guarantee that the police will respond to a parking lot accident unless serious injuries or property damage were involved. However, that does not mean you should not call the police, especially if you have appeared to have been moderately injured.
If it seems the police are not immediately needed, then the important evidence of a police report may not be available. If this is the case, evidence-gathering on your part becomes even more important. Therefore, you will need to:
- Collect information from the other driver. This includes the name of the driver, name of the vehicle owner if not the same as the driver, names of any passengers, as well as the vehicle make, model, and license plate number. You will also need to gather their insurance information, including the company name, policy number, and phone number to call for claims.
- Take pictures of the accident scene and obtain video surveillance if possible
- Look for security personnel who may have been monitoring the parking lot or bystanders who may have witnessed the incident
If possible, go to a doctor right away to assess any injuries you may have suffered. Also, in such a situation, you may want to hire a New York parking lot accident lawyer to ensure that your role in the accident is assessed fairly.
Determining Liability in a Parking Lot Accident
One or several parties may be at fault in a parking lot accident that may include:
- Drivers: All car drivers have a duty of care to be aware of their surroundings to keep other parking lot users safe.
- Passengers: Passengers also have a responsibility to keep others safe while in the car. Intentionally diverting the driver’s attention might lead to an accident. Because they contributed to the accident, they might be negligent.
- Pedestrians: There are many instances of pedestrians’ negligence, such as stepping out into the path of a car, that can cause an accident. Pedestrians do have a duty of care and can also be held liable for car park accidents caused by their negligence.
- Parking lot facilities: Under New York’s premises liability laws, it is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure that their facility is clearly marked lanes, and the parking lot is well maintained. Any hazards, including potholes and other obstructions, should be taken care of in a reasonable time frame. Defective parking spots should be repaired promptly, and in the meantime, the facility should use short-term warning signs to warn drivers of the hazard.
In the state of New York, you have three years from the date of your car accident to file your personal injury claim.
Forms of Compensation Available
If you were injured in a parking lot collision, contact Morelli Law Firm at (212) 751-9800 to learn about pursuing compensation for your physical, emotional, and financial losses. You may have the right to obtain compensation for your:
- Medical expenses
- Wage loss and future loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
Dealing with Insurance Companies
When you want to hire a personal injury lawyer to represent you in a parking lot accident case, you should consider the attorney’s track record and experience with trying these types of cases.
Dealing with an insurance adjuster who represents the at-fault party or parties can be intimidating and may want to pay out as little as possible or even deny your claim. These actions can result in your case ending up in court. Therefore, it can be helpful to have an attorney who understands the unique aspects of parking lot accidents working in your best interests.
Hire a Parking Lot Accident Lawyer Today
If you have been involved in a parking lot accident and you are considering filing a claim, contact our law firm to see if a personal injury lawyer can help you. The attorneys at Morelli Law Firm can help you develop a strategy for a successful claim. Schedule a free consultation with a New York parking lot accident lawyer at (212) 751-9800.