Morelli Law Firm believes in holding drivers with road rage accountable for their negligent actions. If you were hurt in a car crash that involved road rage, a New York road rage accident lawyer from our firm may be able to represent you.
We can pursue compensation on your behalf in an insurance claim and/or a lawsuit while you focus on your recovery. You may be entitled to damages suffered in your accident, such as your medical treatment, lost wages, and more.
Call Morelli Law Firm today at (212) 751-9800 for a free case evaluation with a member of our NY car accident team. We may be able to represent you on a contingency-fee-basis with no up-front payment required.
Road Rage Is a Threat to Public Safety
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), road rage is a violent or angry form of aggressive driving.
Road rage refers to an enraged or aggressive state that can increase the chance of causing motor vehicle accidents. Road rage involves acts that may serve to anger others or to make them feel intimidated. It can also involve intentional acts of harm.
During unfavorable driving conditions, feeling anxious or annoyed is usual. The issue gets worse, however, when these emotions intensify into road rage. Road rage may involve:
- Cursing and movements that are offensive or obscene
- Driving off the designated road area
- Ramming another car intentionally
- Chasing another car at an increased speed
- Tailgating too closely to another vehicle and for a prolonged period of time
- Overusing the horn of a vehicle
- Erratic or dangerous lane changes
- Flashing headlights
Have You Been Injured In An Accident? Contact Morelli Law877-751-9800
Negligence and Liability in a NY Road Rage Accident
If a driver with road rage caused your accident, this fall under personal injury in New York, and they may be liable for your damages. Establishing their liability may require evidence that a negligent action caused your accident.
Any violation of traffic law may qualify as negligence. This may include:
- Illegal lane change
- Not following at a safe distance
- Failure to yield
- Running a red light or stop sign
- And more
With evidence that a traffic law violation caused your accident, you may not need further evidence that the driver was enraged at the time of the accident to hold them liable.
A New York road rage accident lawyer from Morelli Law Firm can investigate your case and collect evidence of driver liability when we represent you. This may include:
- Photos or videos from the scene of the accident
- Witness statements
- The police crash report
- Testimony from accident reconstruction experts
- Your medical record
- And more
Make sure to retain any evidence you have from the accident to support your case. Keep any documentation or receipts of accident-related expenses as well.
For a free consultation on your case with a member of our car accident team, call Morelli Law Firm today at (212) 751-9800.
How to Respond to Road Rage Drivers
The following suggestions may help you respond in situations where you encounter a road rage driver.
- Call the police if you feel like you are in danger or if you are being attacked.
- Avoid eye contact with a road rage driver, as it may cause a dangerous situation with other drivers.
- Do not engage in tailgating, as some drivers feel antagonized when someone drives directly behind them.
- Allow violent drivers the right of way to prevent a dangerous conflict.
- Do not react to other drivers’ acts, such as honking back at someone who is honking at you.
- Install your car with a dash camera. It records the driving environment as you are behind the wheel and can be used in your potential claim.
Consequences of Road Rage Accidents
Victims of accidents involving road rage can suffer major injuries. Because of the considerable medical costs, they may experience serious financial distress. In addition, their income may get negatively affected as they may have to take time off work because to recover from their physical and emotional injuries suffered in an accident.
Depending on the details of the accident and injuries, the recoverable damages in a car accident case may include:
- Ambulance fees and emergency room treatment
- Current and future costs of accident-related medical care
- Lost wages
- Harm to property
- Pain and suffering
- Physical disabilities
- And more
A New York road rage accident lawyer from Morelli Law Firm can help you collect evidence of your damages and their value when we represent you.
The Deadline to Sue in New York
All states have legislation that dictates the period available to initiate a lawsuit. Per NY Civil Practice Law & Rules (CVP) § 214, New York provides a general three-year statute of limitations on personal injury lawsuits.
If you do not take legal action within this time limit, you may be unable to recover compensation for your damages via a lawsuit, even with strong evidence in your defense.
It is important to act quickly in a personal injury case to retain your right to sue. The sooner you call Morelli Law Firm, the sooner we can start working on your case.
Consult with a Representative of Morelli Law Firm Today
A New York road rage accident lawyer from Morelli Law Firm can handle all communications, deadlines, and paperwork in your case when we represent you.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident caused by road rage, call Morelli Law Firm at (212) 751-9800 for a free case evaluation from a member of our team.
We may be able to offer you representation on a contingency-fee-basis with no up-front payment required. We do not charge our clients attorney fees in this arrangement unless and until they recover compensation via a court award or settlement offer.