Car accidents can cause more than property damage, from medical expenses to income loss and pain and suffering. If you or someone you love was injured in a car accident in Long Island, New York, you may be entitled to pursue compensation through a claim or lawsuit.
A Long Island car accident lawyer with Morelli Law Firm can help you understand your legal options and build a case against the at-fault driver or a liable party your accident involves. Our team can investigate your accident and help you navigate the insurance claims process.
How a Car Accident Lawyer from Our Team Can Help You
When you’re pursuing a personal injury claim, it’s important to have a lawyer on your side to negotiate with the opposing party and help you to prove negligence against the other driver. Our car accident lawyers in Long Island, NY, can help you build a personal injury case by:
We will examine any evidence you have to establish if you have a case after your car accident. If necessary, we will conduct a private investigation to retrieve and request additional evidence to support your case.
We will review all evidence related to your case, including:
- Police reports
- Witness statements from other drivers or pedestrians who saw the crash
- Cell phone, traffic cam, dashboard camera footage
- Medical records
- Physical evidence from the accident scene, such as a broken car part
- Testimony from accident reconstructionists
Calculating Your Damages
An auto accident attorney on Long Island will pursue financial compensation to cover the expenses you incurred from the accident, such as medical bills and property damage, among other damages. We will calculate your damages to determine how much compensation to pursue.
Providing Legal Advice
Our team will help you understand your rights and offer you legal advice when necessary. We can advise you on how fair a settlement offer is, whether you should pursue multiple parties in your case, and if you should take your case to court.
Representing You in or Out of Court
Our car accident attorneys on Long Island will represent you, whether at the negotiation table or on the court floor. We aim to negotiate a settlement for your case to avoid a trial. However, our team can also represent you in court if necessary.
Communicating With Other Parties on Your Behalf
We can handle calls with insurance companies and legal attorneys to make statements about your case on your behalf. This allows us to protect you from admitting potential contributory negligence. Also, we can reach out to medical and accident expert witnesses who can provide testimony for your case.
Our legal team will also take care of administrative tasks, such as filling out your case’s paperwork and updating you as your case progresses through the claims or litigation system. Should you ever have questions or concerns about your case, we will be available to answer you.
A Long Island Car Accident Attorney That Works to Maximize Your Compensation
Examining the value of your total damages is a crucial part of building your car accident case, as this determines how much compensation we should pursue. Your attorney can factor in your current damages and future damages you should expect to endure.
If you accept a settlement from the insurance company before you are certain about the amount of damages you will incur, you risk leaving money on the table. Once your case is settled, you won’t be able to pursue additional compensatory damages.
In an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit, you may be able to recover compensation for the following types of damages:
- Property damage: This includes the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle and personal items damaged in the crash.
- Medical expenses: This includes current and future medical bills, such as hospital stays, doctor visits, physical therapy, medications, and other associated expenses.
- Pain and suffering: This includes physical pain related to the severity of your injuries, how long they take to treat, and how long they take to heal.
- Punitive damages: In some cases, punitive damages may be available if the other party acted with gross negligence or intentional misconduct.
- Current and future income loss: If you missed work due to severe injuries or had to take a lower-paying position, you may be able to recover lost wages.
- Permanent disability or physical disfigurement: If you become permanently disabled, lose a limb, or experience significant scars, this can be compensated.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: If you can no longer enjoy your favorite activities or have a diminished quality of life, you may be able to recover damages for this loss.
Additional damages not listed here may apply to your case. Working with a Long Island personal injury lawyer who understands the complexities of auto accident claims can safeguard your rights and your accident claim.
Long Island Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
Why You Should Seek Medical Attention Following a Collision
See a doctor as soon as possible to determine the extent of your injuries if you haven’t already. An evaluation by a medical professional is essential because you might not immediately notice certain types of injuries. The rush of adrenaline that follows an accident may conceal the severity of any injuries.
Your body naturally releases adrenaline to aid you in surviving dangerous situations, but these chemicals also have a hidden side. It’s not unusual for injuries to take time to show symptoms. More severe wounds like brain injuries, organ failure, or even internal injuries might be obscured.
If you’re trying to decide whether you need to pursue a claim, think about the possible medical costs you might face. Seeking help from a medical doctor and protecting your rights with a Long Island car accident attorney may save you from trouble in the long run.
Compensation Wrongful Death Claims After an Auto Accident
If you lost a loved one in a motor vehicle accident, our team at Morelli Law Firm wants to express our condolences. We know processing grief can be deeply difficult.
You may not be able to handle legal issues while coping with your loss, which is why you might wish to consider a car accident lawyer on Long Island to manage your case for you.
We aim to assist you with your case so that you do not lose your opportunity to recover economic losses and non-economic losses associated with your loved one’s death. We also want to help you hold the negligent parties accountable for this negligence.
As such, you may recover compensation for the following:
- Funeral arrangement costs, including costs for burial or cremation services
- Loss of financial support if your loved one contributed to the family’s net worth
- Other financial losses, such as loss of benefits, pensions, or inheritances from your loved one
- Emotional losses, such as loss of companionship, love and affection, and guidance
- Pain and suffering, including grief
- Medical care debts your loved one left behind
Our legal team can go over your recoverable damages and calculate their value before sending a demand letter to the liable party or parties.
Common Injuries We Can Claim For in a Car Accident
Injury victims can suffer from a wide variety of injuries, from minor to severe. Some of the most common injuries that we can seek compensation for include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Chest injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries and head trauma
- Internal bleeding, organ damage
- Facial injury
- Soft tissue injuries
- Burn injuries
Additionally, emotional distress and psychological harm, such as post-traumatic stress disorder, may also be compensable in some cases. A Long Island car accident lawyer will work diligently to assess your situation and pursue the maximum compensation available under the law.
Handling Insurance Claims On Your Own: Possible Dangers
Insurance adjusters are experts who handle numerous claims each day. They possess the knowledge and experience to know what is effective when it comes to generating financial savings for their business. They are taught to minimize compensation and, where possible, reject claims.
New York is a no-fault state for auto accidents, making reimbursement more accessible in situations involving minor damage. Still, insurance firms frequently make inadequate compensation offers. In this kind of situation, having a lawyer on your side is very important.
Even though the insurance adjuster has the advantage, you don’t have to go up against them alone.
Long Island car accident attorneys have an in-depth understanding of personal injury law and are ready to fight for you if you have been hurt in a car accident.
Don’t Wait Until the Last Minute to File Your Car Crash Case
Some assume they have to prepare everything before approaching our car wreck lawyer serving Long Island, but this is not true. As our client, you can benefit from having a legal team that can access resources you might have difficulty reaching.
An attorney from our team can procure the required medical records or statements on your behalf to begin building your case. Also, they can negotiate with the insurance company and other parties for you, which can be convenient if you are still recovering from your injuries.
Your Case Has a Legal Deadline
New York’s statute of limitations puts a timeline on your lawsuit. According toCPLR § 214, you generally have three years from the car collision date to file your injury lawsuit. A Long Island auto accident attorney can help you to avoid any costly mistakes. If you are filing a wrongful death lawsuit, you have two years to do so, perEPTL § 5-4.1.
If you do not file your case on time, you can jeopardize your financial recovery. The other party would have a legal right to ask for a dismissal of your case due to its tardiness. Should a judge grant that order, you would not be able to pursue compensation.
Your Car Accident and Injuries on Social Media: a Word of Caution
What is posted on the internet can spread quickly, and almost anyone can see it. Here are a few examples of how your opponent might utilize social media to attack your case:
- Even though you still hurt a lot and are tired most of the time, you made it to mom’s birthday party. You are mentioned in your sister’s social media check-in at the bistro. The defense is using this as evidence that you must not be hurting as much as you claim.
- After your accident, you decide to go out with friends even though you are still in pain. You don’t even stay long enough to finish one drink. You’re tagged in a selfie, and everyone can see that the group is having a great time. The defense can definitely use this to refute the severity of your suffering.
- Your grandmother updates her Facebook friends that soon you are making great progress and will soon be as good as new. This evidence can be used against you by the opposing side’s attorney to suggest that your pain and suffering aren’t as bad as you say they are.
Opposing counsel will use every available tactic to downplay the severity of your condition, including subpoenaing your previous social media activity. After a car accident, it’s best to use social media as little as possible or stop using it altogether.
Advocates for New York Car Accident Victims
Keep in mind that not all certified attorneys who practice in New York can handle your case with the compassion and knowledge needed.
- Understand and handle car crash cases regularly
- Have won substantial settlements and court awards for our clients
- Are open and upfront about our fees and policies
- Are available to answer your questions
Lawsuits are complex processes that demand the attention and skills of an experienced legal team. You can count on our attorneys and their staff to communicate with the insurance companies and gather the essential evidence for your case.
Have Your Case Evaluated Free of Charge at Your Convenience
Our personal injury attorneys will make time for you by meeting with you directly at your request, visiting you in either your home or the hospital, and assuring you of their support in case of any concern or question. An attorney who understands your pain and uncertainty can be reassuring.
Our Long Island car accident attorney will take an interest in your case by having a passion to pursue justice for you. We can help you heal from the accident by enabling you to find the peace of mind needed to recover from this traumatic experience.
Get a Free Case Review with Our New York Car Accident Attorneys
At Morelli Law Firm, we have a team of car accident attorneys in Long Island ready to assist you. We’re ready to handle your case by taking you through the whole process step by step.
We understand that the aftermath of a car accident can be overwhelming. That’s why we offer free case reviews to help you determine if you have a valid claim and what your legal options are. We will review the details of your case and provide honest advice about the best way to secure the maximum compensation possible.
We will explain how we will handle your case in the initial consultation, including our contingency fee system. There are no out-of-pocket expenses, as we expect no payment from you until we collect a settlement or award on your behalf. Contact us today for your free case review.