Many drivers in New York are in a hurry to get somewhere. This fast-paced environment may lead some drivers to run a red light, a negligent action that reflects their lack of consideration for the safety of other drivers on the road. This negligence can easily lead to a motor vehicle accident.
Being injured in a red light accident can leave you with medical bills, missed paychecks, and a sense of financial uncertainty. Fortunately, you do not need to face this situation alone.
If you qualify, a New York red light accident lawyer from Morelli Law Firm can manage your insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit on your behalf. While you focus on recovering, we can handle all of the legal work in your case. We may be able to help you collect compensation for your injuries, lost wages, and more.
For a free consultation on your case with a member of our NY car accident team, call Morelli Law Firm at (212) 751-9800. We may be able to take your case on a contingency-fee-basis.
Dangers of Running a Red Light in New York
When drivers make the decision to run a red light or a stop sign, they endanger other drivers as well as pedestrians crossing at an intersection. Unfortunately, this reckless behavior often leads to serious injuries and may even cause death.
A red light accident may occur as a result of:
- Distracted drivers that are not paying attention to the traffic signals
- Drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Drivers that are speeding to cross the intersection before the light turns red
- Drivers that are reckless and make an illegal turn at the intersection
Regardless of why a driver ran the red light, proceeding into an intersection when a traffic light is red is illegal. Not only that, but running a red light is one of the most dangerous actions that can take place on roads.
According to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), violating traffic control devices, including running red lights, is the single most common cause of urban car accidents in the U.S.
The FHWA also reports the U.S. averages seven deadly crashes at intersections with traffic signals every day, as well as more than 1,000 daily crashes that result in injuries. They estimate that the total cost of these accidents is more than $230 billion each year.
Have You Been Injured In An Accident? Contact Morelli Law877-751-9800
Victims of Red Light Accidents
Multiple types of road users may be injured in a red light accident. Victims may include:
- Pedestrians that are crossing the street at a crosswalk
- Drivers as well as passengers in trucks, cars, motorcycles, and SUVs that are proceeding through an intersection during a green light
- Motorists and their passengers that are making a left turn or are stopped at a red light
- Cyclists who are traveling in the opposite direction of an intersection
No matter how you were using the road, if another party’s negligence caused your red light accident and injured you, they may be liable for your damages.
To learn more about your legal options in a free case review with a member of our team, call Morelli Law Firm today at (212) 751-9800
Damages in a Red Light Accident Case
If you can prove the responsible party’s liability, you may be able to recover compensation for your accident-related damages. Depending on the nature of your injuries and your accident, the recoverable damages in your case may include:
- Costs of medical care, including prescription medicines, doctor consultations, rehabilitation, emergency room visits, surgeries, and physical therapy
- Estimated future costs of medical care
- Lost wages, for the time the accident forced you to miss work
- Property damages
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- And more
If your loved one lost their life in a red light accident, and you are pursuing a wrongful death lawsuit, a different set of damages may be available to you. Wrongful death damages may include:
- Funeral costs
- Pre-death costs of medical care
- Loss of companionship
- And more
Options for Pursuing Compensation After a Car Accident
The state of New York is a no-fault state concerning motor vehicle accidents. According to the New York Department of Financial Services, this means that victims may have to go through their own Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage after an accident first, and may not have the right to sue the liable driver in all circumstances.
If a victim suffered certain types of serious injuries in the accident, however, they may be entitled to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit against the at-fault driver to recover damages beyond their PIP coverage. Victims may also have this option if their economic damages exceed their PIP limits.
Morelli Law Firm can help you determine your options for pursuing compensation for your damages when we represent you.
Working with Morelli Law Firm on Your Case
A New York red light accident lawyer from Morelli Law Firm can manage all of the legal work in your case when we represent you. This may include:
- Filing your PIP claim with your own insurance company
- Filing a fault-based claim and/or lawsuit against the responsible party
- Communicating with all parties on your behalf
- Collecting evidence of the responsible party’s liability
- Collecting evidence of your damages and their value
- Negotiating for a settlement
- Taking your care to trial
Call Morelli Law Firm Today
You can focus on your family and your recovery when a New York red light accident lawyer from Morelli Law Firm manages your case.
Call us today at (212) 751-9800 for a free case evaluation from a member of our team. One of our personal injury attorneys in NYC may be able to represent you on a contingency-fee-basis, where you are not obligated to pay us attorney fees unless and until you recover compensation via a court award or settlement offer.