Dump trucks are usually used for hauling loose material such as gravel, sand, and concrete. An average dump truck uses a hydraulic lift to slant the cargo carrier and dump the load.
Dump trucks can cause injuries through collisions or when their loaded material spills onto other vehicles on the road. Dump trucks are taller than many other vehicles on the road. This means that when they get into an accident they may trample over other vehicles, causing severe injuries or even death.
If you were injured in a dump truck accident in Wayne, New Jersey, either from an impact with a dump truck or by colliding with the spilled contents of such a vehicle, you may be able to recover compensation in a personal injury lawsuit. Recoverable damages may include your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
A Wayne dump truck lawyer from Morelli Law Firm may be able to handle your case and pursue compensation on your behalf while you recover from your injuries.
For a free consultation on your case with a member of our team, call Morelli Law Firm today at (212) 751-9800.
Dump Truck Accident Causes and Liability
There are many possible causes of dump truck accidents. A driver may cause an accident due to the challenging nature of driving these large vehicles and managing their blind spots.
Driver negligence can also cause a dump truck accident due to:
- A violation of traffic law
- Drunk or intoxicated driving
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy driving
In some cases, the dump truck driver may be liable for your injuries. However, due to the legal principle of vicarious liability, if a dump truck driver caused your accident while working, the dump truck company may be the liable party.
Other times, the dump truck company could be liable for accidents caused by:
- Failing to screen, train, and hire licensed drivers
- Forcing drivers to drive long shifts that exceed federal regulations
- Not maintaining or servicing their trucks
- Failing to properly load and secure the contents of the truck
Additional liable parties could be:
- A government entity responsible for maintaining the roadways that cause your accident due to dangerous road conditions or signage
- A mechanic responsible for servicing the dump truck who does their job in a negligent manner
- A component manufacturer who sells a defective dump truck component, such as a defective tire or hydraulic lift
A Wayne dump truck lawyer from Morelli Law Firm can investigate your case and identify the liable party or parties when we represent you. We are not intimidated by complex cases, cases with multi-party liability, or cases that go against a government entity responsible for your injuries.
If you believe that another party’s negligence caused your dump truck accident, call Morelli Law Firm today at (212) 751-9800 for a free consultation with a member of our team.
Steps to Take Following a Dump Truck Accident
The foremost step following a dump truck accident is to quickly seek treatment. It matters not if you only have minor cuts and bruises, it is still vital you seek medical attention. You may have subtle or delayed symptoms. The sooner you see a doctor, the sooner your injuries can be diagnosed, and treatment may begin.
If you see a doctor promptly after your accident, your medical record may serve as evidence of your injuries and proof that it was the accident that caused them.
After seeking medical treatment, we also recommend that you retain all evidence from the accident, including police reports, witness contact information, photos, videos, and receipts of your medical care.
If the responsible party’s insurance company contacts you after the accident, we recommend you use caution when speaking with them. They may be able to use your statements to reduce or deny your claim.
Wayne Dump Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
Recoverable Damages in a Dump Truck Accident
Victims of a dump truck accident may be able to recover the following damages in a personal injury lawsuit:
- Medical costs, including ER treatment, surgery, medications, and more
- Estimated future costs of medical treatment
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capability
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- And more
If your family member passed away in a Wayne dump truck accident, a different set of damages may be available to you in a wrongful death lawsuit. Call Morelli Law Firm today to learn more about this type of action.
How Morelli Law Firm Can Help You
When you work with a Wayne dump truck lawyer from Morelli Law Firm on your case, we can handle a variety of tasks while you focus on your recovery.
These tasks may include:
- Answering your questions, providing legal advice, and keeping you updated on your case
- Handling all communications, legal deadlines, and paperwork on your behalf
- Coordinating your case according to all relevant New Jersey laws
- Identifying the liable party and gathering evidence of their liability
- Hiring accident reconstruction and medical experts to testify in your defense
- Gathering evidence to put a value on your damages
- Negotiating with the responsible party’s insurance company
- Taking your case to trial if they are not willing to make you a fair offer
Call Morelli Law Firm Today
If you or a member of your family has sustained severe injuries from a dump truck accident, a Wayne dump truck lawyer from Morelli Law Firm may be able to help you.
Do not wait too long if you are considering legal action, as New Jersey Statute (NJ Stat) §2A:14-2 imposes a general two-year statute of limitations on personal injury lawsuits in New Jersey. Filing a lawsuit against a municipality or government agency could require you to take legal action within 90 days of the accident.
To discuss what specific deadlines pertain to your case, call Morelli Law Firm for a free consultation at (212) 751-9800.