If you or a loved one was involved in a steel truck accident in Suffolk County, Nassau County, or anywhere on Long Island, do not shoulder the financial burden alone. Instead, take legal action. To find out more about your options, call Morelli Law Firm at (212) 751-9800. A Long Island steel truck accident lawyer may be able to help you pursue damages from the liable party.
Truck Accidents Are Often Serious
According to the Institute for Traffic Management Safety and Research (ITSMR), fatalities caused by large truck accidents were declining as of 2018. Personal injuries, however, increased that same year. Such accidents were also more likely to involve multiple vehicles than accidents not involving large trucks.
All of these numbers translate to one outcome: increased suffering for accident victims like you. The consequences of truck accidents may include:
- Property damage: Your vehicle was damaged or totaled.
- Physical injury: The crash caused either short-term or long-term injuries.
- Emotional trauma: Truck accidents are frightening events that may impact your mental health.
- Death: Your loved one lost their life because of the crash.
If your life has been upended by a truck accident, do not hesitate to call Morelli Law Firm at (212) 751-9800. A Long Island steel truck accident lawyer can help you seek justice and compensation for your injuries and losses.
Your Accident May Entitle You to Damages
To file a personal injury lawsuit, you must meet the definition of “serious injury” codified in New York Civil Insurance (ISC) Laws §5102(d). Just as important, you will need to convince the liable party’s insurance company that you meet that definition, as they will be the ones to pay you compensation.
In your lawsuit, you may seek two different types of damages, depending on how the accident affected you and your loved ones.
The first type is economic damages. These relate to the monetary harm you and your family have suffered because of the accident. Consider the examples below. They are only an incomplete list of the economic damages you can sue for, but they will give you an idea of what the law considers to be compensable damage.
- Medical bills: These expenses may include both the cost of the treatment itself, as well as travel expenses if you had to travel a long way to get necessary care.
- Loss of income: This damage may include whatever wages or benefits you would have earned if you were uninjured and able to work.
- Loss of earning capacity: You may have had to give up working or switch to a less lucrative career.
- Other bills: You had to get your car fixed, hire someone else to do your chores (e.g., housework), pay for your deceased loved one’s funeral, and so on.
Non-economic damages are more difficult to quantify, but they are just as important—if not more important—than economic damages. They relate to the physical and psychological harm you and your family suffered because of the accident. These include:
- Pain and suffering: This refers to both the physical pain of your injuries and the emotional pain of having been injured and/or involved in an accident.
- Disfigurement or scarring: Your injuries were severe enough to leave behind permanent scars that impact your appearance, your physical abilities, or both.
- Loss of consortium: Your relationship with your spouse or other companion has changed or suffered due to your injuries.
- Loss of companionship: The accident took your loved one from you unexpectedly and prematurely.
Long Island Steel Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
We Can Help You with Your Case
Morelli Law Firm can handle the legal aspects of your case. Such as:
- Identifying the liable party: Depending on how your accident unfolded, you may be able to sue the truck driver, the trucking company, or someone else. We will look for evidence that shows the liable party’s guilt and your entitlement to damages.
- Calculating compensation: Make sure that the dollar amounts you sue for are accurate and reasonable by letting your lawyer do the calculations.
- Filing paperwork: Something as small as using the wrong form or submitting something late can have a big impact on your suit. We can make sure all of your paperwork is completed correctly and on time.
- Managing communications: We will talk to the liable party and their representatives on your behalf. We will also communicate with you via regular updates about your case.
- Negotiating a pretrial settlement: Your lawyer will meet with representatives from the insurance company and try to come to a settlement agreement that meets your needs.
- Going to court: If the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement, talk to your lawyer about the possibility of a trial. They can arrange a trial date and represent you in the courtroom.
Call Today for Your Free Consultation
A Long Island steel truck accident lawyer can make the legal process easier for you. We work on a contingency-fee-basis, which means you will not have to worry about completing any legal tasks on your own, and you do not have to pay us for our services until we get compensation for you.
Call Morelli Law Firm at (212) 751-9800 today to speak with a member of our team.