Reckless driving is an inexcusable offense. If you or someone you care about was injured or sustained property damage due to a reckless driver, a Long Island reckless driving accident lawyer from Morelli Law Firm may be able to pursue compensation on your behalf to potentially recover your losses.
Call Morelli Law Firm today at (212) 751-9800 for a free consultation to start your case.
Reckless Driving Is Negligent Driving
According to New York Vehicle & Traffic Law (VAT) §1212, reckless driving involves any driving behavior that “unreasonably interferes” with other motorists’ use of the road or “unreasonably endangers users of the public highway.”
When motorists drive recklessly, their actions are considered negligent due to the fact that they are knowingly disregarding others’ safety. Reckless driving may involve:
- Street racing
- Weaving in and out of traffic
- Passing illegally
- Running red lights or traffic signs
A driver might choose to drive recklessly because of mood changes they experience during traffic, such as “road rage,” which can lead to aggressive driving behaviors. A driver might also navigate through traffic recklessly because they are late for work or because they find the activity exciting and thrilling.
Your lawyer can look into your case to determine why the driver might have chosen to drive recklessly and whether other forms of negligence were involved in your accident.
You Must Collect Evidence for Your Reckless Driving Accident Case
In order to prove that the driver was driving recklessly, evidence must be presented to the court to show how the driver breached their duty of care to other motorists and pedestrians on the road.
Our attorneys can collect evidence to help strengthen your case against the defendant. The evidence we collect might illustrate how the defendant was reckless behind the wheel.
Evidence of reckless driving might include:
- Eyewitness testimonies: We might be able to collect statements from eyewitnesses, such as another motorist or a pedestrian.
- Photos of property damage or injuries: We may collect photo evidence of the injuries and property damage you sustained in the incident.
- Police and driving records: We may request the accident’s official crash report and the responsible party’s driving record to see if they have committed reckless driving offenses in the past.
- Street camera footage: If there were street and surveillance cameras that recorded footage of the accident, we may request this footage to support your case.
- Medical records: We may use your medical records to show the severity of your injuries.
Long Island Reckless Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
Different Types of Compensation Might Be Available to You
You may be entitled to different forms of compensation. You might be eligible to collect compensation for the following damages:
- Medical expenses: These are the expenses you paid to treat your injuries. These expenses might also include aftercare, such as physical therapy.
- Pain and suffering: The defendant might be obligated to pay for the pain and suffering you experienced due to the event and your injuries.
- Property repair costs: If your vehicle was totaled, you might be able to receive compensation to replace your vehicle.
- Lost wages: If you are unable to work, you might be able to receive compensation for wages that you could not earn due to your injuries. This can also include loss of future wages if you are unable to fully recover from your injuries.
- Funeral and burial costs: In the worst case, if your loved one was killed in a reckless driving accident, you may be compensated for funeral and burial expenses.
Morelli Law Firm can also collect evidence of the value of your damages when we represent you.
Plaintiffs Have a Limited Amount of Time to File Their Lawsuits
According to the New York Civil Practice Law & Rules (CVP) §214, a plaintiff must file their personal injury lawsuit within three years of their accident. Although this might seem like a long period, the pre-trial litigation process can take very long and be complex.
You also want to keep in mind that certain types of evidence might not be preserved for three years, and witnesses might not remember as many clear details about the accident years after it occurred. It is advisable to take action in a timely manner so that you can file your case before the statutory deadline and get started on collecting evidence as soon as possible.
If you have questions about how long you might have to file your case, call Morelli Law Firm today at (212) 751-9800. A member of our car accident team can provide you with a free consultation on your case. If you qualify, a Long Island reckless driving accident lawyer from our firm can get started on your case right away.
What Our Attorneys Can Do for You
If you were injured due to an accident caused by a reckless driver on Long Island, Morelli Law Firm may be able to represent you.
Our team can help you collect evidence, communicate with insurance companies and other involved parties, and provide you with general guidance and counsel during this difficult time.
If you need a Long Island reckless driving accident lawyer, let Morelli Law Firm provide you with legal assistance. We want to help you build your case so that you can feel more secure in your legal pursuit of compensation. Our lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, which means you do not have to pay any attorney’s fees until we win your case.
Call our team today at (212) 751-9800 for a free consultation.