Traffic signs and signals are placed on roads for the safety of all road users. According to New York Vehicle & Traffic (VAT) §1110, all road users must obey instructions of official traffic control devices. If a motorist fails to obey any traffic signal, an accident may result, possibly causing grave injury and property damage.
If you or someone you love were hurt because of a driver who failed to obey any traffic signal, sign, or marking, you may be entitled to receive compensation. Drivers ignoring road signs pose a serious risk to all road users. When their negligence or recklessness causes injury or property damage, they should be held accountable.
At Morelli Law Firm, our Buffalo accident caused by failure to obey traffic signals lawyer may be able to help you better understand your rights. During your time of struggle, we can take up your quest for justice, allowing you to focus on healing and restoring your life. Contact us at (212) 751-9800 to schedule your free, confidential, and no-obligation consultation to discuss the facts of your case.
New York Traffic Laws and Causes of Traffic Signal Accidents
In New York, traffic control devices include:
- Street markings or other kinds of markings
They are erected by public bodies to inform drivers of the required behavior for keeping all road users safe. A person who ignores any traffic control device may face serious penalties, including civil and criminal actions against them.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), driver-related causes of crashes in a traffic signal-controlled intersection include:
- Distracted driving – lack of attention, texting while driving, internal distractions, external distractions
- Inadequate road surveillance
- Falsely assuming another road user’s actions
- Errors in the estimation of another motorist’s speed or distance between vehicles
- Aggressive driving and road rage
- Turning with an obstructed view
- Speeding, including driving too fast for prevailing road conditions
- Illegal maneuvers
- Critical performance and non-performance errors
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Failure to yield right of way
Types of Accidents Resulting from Failure to Obey Traffic Signals
Failure to obey traffic signals can cause the following types of accidents. Most of these accidents often occur at junctions and intersections, but they can happen anywhere. They include:
- Head-on collisions
- Side-impact/broadside/T-bone collisions
- Rear-end collisions
- Accidents involving vulnerable road users (cyclists and pedestrians)
- Rollover accidents
- Multiple-vehicle car crashes
The severity of injuries and property damage to those involved in the crashes varies according to the crash’s specific details. If you were involved in a car crash with a motorist who failed to yield right of way or disobeyed another traffic signal, you may be eligible for compensation. Contact Morelli Law Firm at (212) 751-9800 for more information.
Buffalo Failure to Obey Traffic Signals Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
Injuries for Traffic Signal Accidents
Traffic signals are mounted on roads with good reason. The drivers who disregard them risk their own and the safety of other road users. Depending on the type of crash, vehicle speed, and the types of vehicles involved, serious injuries, and even fatalities can occur. Some injuries include:
- Whiplash injuries – head and neck from rear-end collisions
- Head, chest, neck, and back injuries
- Brain damage, traumatic brain injury, or concussions
- Amnesia after blunt force trauma to the head
- Cuts, bruises, and laceration from broken glass and other sharp objects
- Fractures and broken bones
- Internal organ damage and internal bleeding
It is critical to seek medical attention if you or your loved one were involved in any car accident. The doctor will not only treat your injuries, but documentation of your doctor’s visit can serve as evidence when you file your insurance claim or lawsuit.
Recoverable Damages for Traffic Signal Accidents in New York
New York is a no-fault state when it comes to personal injury from car accidents. This means that you can file a claim with your insurance carrier to receive compensation regardless of the party at-fault for a car crash. According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), your insurer can provide compensation of up to $50,000 for tangible losses as a result of the accident, such as:
- Present and future medical expenses, including the cost of rehabilitation
- Loss of income or wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Property damage
The law makes these provisions to prevent the courts from being backed up with litigation for non-serious accident claims. If, however, your losses/damages exceed the provision of $50,000, you can sue the at-fault driver to reclaim the difference and also reimbursement for non-tangible losses like:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Wrongful death
To receive damages, you must show how the at-fault driver was negligent and how their negligence caused your injuries and/or losses. Our lawyers can conduct thorough investigations, often using physical evidence and witnesses’ input to determine the events leading to a crash.
Morelli Law Firm’s Buffalo Accident Caused by Failure to Obey Traffic Signals Lawyer at Your Service
If you or someone you loved suffered an injury or died because of another driver’s reckless or negligent actions, you may be hurt, confused, and angry.
If you have been hurt in a car accident caused by failure to obey traffic signals, consider hiring our Buffalo accident caused by failure to obey traffic signals lawyer. They can apply all our resources towards ensuring that those who hurt you are held accountable. Call Morelli Law Firm at (212) 751-9800 for your free and confidential case evaluation today.