A semi-truck weighs anywhere between 25,000 to 80,000 pounds. When you compare that to a 3,000-pound passenger vehicle, it’s no surprise that 18-wheeler accidents lead to catastrophic injuries and death. If you were involved in a collision, the truck accident lawyers at Morelli Law Firm can help you recover.
Our Newark 18-wheeler accident attorneys provide free case evaluations to crash victims. If you suffered injuries due to another party’s negligence, our Essex County law firm will help you obtain a fair settlement.
Causes of 18-Wheeler Accidents
In our years of experience handling commercial truck accidents, the most common causes of collisions we see are:
- Fatigue: Truck companies have federal regulations to limit the amount of time their drivers spend on the road. Those who breach these rules are liable for damages in a motor vehicle accident.
- Reckless driving: The faster truck drivers make their deliveries, the more money they can earn. Therefore, speeding and reckless driving behaviors are common causes of 18-wheeler crashes.
- Driving under the influence: Truck drivers are prohibited from operating commercial vehicles while under the influence of alcohol, drugs, and prescription medications.
- Distracted driving: Operating a fully-loaded 18-wheeler while using a mobile device causes devastating motor vehicle accidents.
- Trucking company negligence: If a trucking company does not properly maintain its fleet, it can be liable in the event of a collision.
- Poorly loaded cargo: If the shipping company overloads the truck or does not disperse the cargo properly, the truck may shift during travel and cause a crash.
In most of these instances, truck driver negligence causes the accident. All drivers have a duty to operate their vehicles in a reasonably safe manner. If they fail to do so, they are liable for injuries and damages the accident causes.
Know Your Rights After a Newark Commercial Vehicle Accident
The State of New Jersey has complex auto insurance policies that can restrict your right to recover damages. The type of coverage you receive depends on the option you select when purchasing coverage. Our legal team can review your policy, explain your options, and determine the best steps to take after an 18-wheeler collision.
If you suffered injuries from your Newark accident, you can pursue damages in a fault-based claim regardless of the type of car insurance you carry. You can seek recovery for:
- The loss of a body part
- Disfigurement or scarring
- Broken bones
- A miscarriage or stillbirth
- Permanent or life-altering wounds
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord damage
Newark 18-Wheeler Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
Trust Our Newark Truck Accident Law Firm to Handle Your Case
Truck accident cases often involve corporate liability policies and corporate attorneys. But our Newark 18-wheeler accident lawyers are on your side, you can feel confident that your claim will receive justice.
Our Essex County attorneys handle everything on your behalf, including:
- Identifying all liable parties
- Communicating with third parties and insurance companies
- Gathering evidence and enlisting the help of experts
- Documenting losses and calculating damages
- Filing a liability insurance claim with the trucking company’s insurance provider
- Negotiating maximum compensation for your accident injuries
- Filing a lawsuit in Essex County or a nearby jurisdiction (if necessary)
- Protecting your rights through every step of the legal process
With our law firm, you receive a dedicated truck accident attorney handling your claim. Our strategic processes have enabled our agency to collect millions for motor vehicle accident victims.
Damages You Can Recover After an 18-Wheeler Accident
When you hold trucking companies and drivers accountable for their negligence, you are entitled to receive compensation for various types of damages. Our 18-wheeler accident attorneys seek economic and non-economic damages for New Jersey truck collisions.
Expenses and losses you can seek compensation for after an 18-wheeler accident include:
- Medical treatment
- Ongoing care, rehabilitation, and medical support costs
- Lost wages, benefits, and reduced earning ability
- Repair or replacement costs for your damaged vehicle
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
In a fatal 18-wheeler accident, surviving family members can pursue wrongful death damages through a fault-based liability claim. Our wrongful death lawyers help Newark families obtain financial recovery for funeral expenses, burial costs, and medical expenses leading up to the death.
Our Attorneys Pursue Fair Settlements for Newark Truck Collisions
Our Newark attorneys establish fault for your accident. We review your claim and identify all liable parties. Regardless if an 18-wheeler driver, another passenger vehicle, or the trucking company caused your collision, we hold all guilty parties accountable.
From there, our legal experts gather evidence to support your claim. First, we secure crash photos, truck driver logs, and accident reports to demonstrate the other party’s fault. Then, we use medical records and pay stubs to calculate the full extent of your damages.
The 18-wheeler accident lawyers in Newark at Morelli Law Firm are not afraid to get aggressive when negotiating with insurance companies. Our professionals stand up for your rights and never settle for less than your injuries warrant. If the trucking company or insurance provider refuses to make a fair settlement, we will represent you during a trial.
New Jersey Statute of Limitations for 18-Wheeler Lawsuits
New Jersey has strict deadlines on when you can file a personal injury lawsuit. This time limit applies whether you meet the criteria for non-economic damages or opt for insurance coverage.
Under New Jersey Statute §2a:14-2, accident victims have two years from the date of the crash to file a claim. There may be other factors that affect your deadline, such as if the accident was fatal.
To ensure you file your injury claim within the correct time frame, partner with an experienced New Jersey 18-wheeler accident lawyer. Our legal experts take swift legal action and see that your claim gets filed on time.
Review Your Claim With a Newark 18-Wheeler Accident Attorney
If you sustained injuries due to a commercial truck collision, the 18-wheeler accident attorneys in Newark at Morelli Law Firm will fight for your compensation. We start by performing a free case review, and from there, we determine the most effective course of action for your claim. Contact us now to get started.