Garbage trucks keep our Jersey City neighborhoods clean and safe. Unfortunately, they can sometimes cause accidents.
If you were injured in an accident with a garbage truck as a driver, motorcyclist, bicyclist or pedestrian, you may be able to recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
A Jersey City garbage truck lawyer from Morelli Law Firm can pursue this compensation on your behalf in settlement negotiations or a personal injury lawsuit when we represent you.
Call Morelli Law Firm at (212) 751-9800 for a free, no-obligation consultation on your case.
Causes of Garbage Truck Accidents
Garbage trucks typically operate during times where large numbers of other vehicles are not commonly on the road, giving the trash haulers the room they need to do their work. This often means that garbage truck drivers are working during late-night or early-morning hours.
Because of the time of day, the garbage truck drivers may not expect others to be on the road. They may not look closely for cyclists or pedestrians, meaning they may not see one until it is too late to stop, causing a crash.
Beyond working in dark conditions, there are a few other common reasons garbage trucks may cause an accident, including:
- Driver error: poorly trained drivers do not know how to operate the truck as well as they should, leading to a higher potential for a crash.
- Driving under the influence: the garbage truck driver may have taken drugs or alcohol before starting a shift, leaving him or her with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.04% or greater, which is the limit for drivers operating a vehicle with a commercial driver’s license (CDL), according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
- Drowsy driving: an exhausted driver may nod off at the wheel of their vehicle and cause an accident.
- Traffic law violation: such as running a red light, failure to yield, an illegal lane change, etc.
- Poor maintenance: if the garbage truck is not maintained properly, it could suffer an equipment malfunction while in traffic, such as failed brakes, leading to a collision.
If any party’s negligence caused your garbage truck accident, they may be liable for your injuries.
Have You Been Injured In An Accident? Contact Morelli Law877-751-9800
Identifying the Liable Party in Your Accident
Depending on the specifics of your case, the liable party in your accident may be a negligent garbage truck operator, the garbage company, or a mechanic responsible for maintaining the vehicle. If the liable party is a garbage company owned by a municipality, your case may have to be conducted according to specific New Jersey guidelines for lawsuits against a government agency.
A Jersey City garbage truck lawyer from Morelli Law Firm can investigate your case and identify the liable party when we represent you.
Our investigation may utilize evidence such as:
- Photos or videos from the scene
- Surveillance or traffic camera footage, if available
- Witness statements
- Police reports
- Testimony from accident reconstruction experts
- Your medical records
- And more
If you believe that another party’s negligence caused your Jersey City garbage truck accident, call Morelli Law Firm at (212) 751-9800. A member of our team is standing by to answer your questions and discuss your legal options in a free consultation.
Compensation in a Garbage Truck Accident Case
Depending on your injuries, you may be able to recover the following damages in a personal injury lawsuit:
- Ambulance fees and emergency room treatment
- Costs of all medical treatment, including surgeries, therapies, and medications
- Estimated future costs of all medical care
- Pain and suffering
- And more
In the tragic event that your loved one passed away in a garbage truck accident, you may be able to recover a different set of damages in a wrongful death lawsuit. Morelli Law Firm may be able to handle your family’s wrongful death case. Call us today to discuss your legal options.
Working with a Lawyer on Your Case
When you work with a Jersey City garbage truck lawyer from Morelli Law Firm on your case, you can concentrate on your recovery while we:
- Answer your questions, provide legal advice, and keep you updated on your case
- Handle all communications, legal deadlines, and paperwork on your behalf
- Coordinate your case in compliance with all applicable New Jersey laws
- Identify the liable party
- Gather evidence of your injuries and the extent of your damages
- Negotiate with the responsible party’s insurance company for a settlement
- Take your case to trial if they are not willing to make you a fair offer
- Defend your rights the entire time
Call Morelli Law Firm Today
Morelli Law Firm is not intimidated by tough cases. A Jersey City garbage truck lawyer from our firm will pursue compensation from any party liable for your injuries when we represent you.
Do not delay if you are considering legal action for your injuries. Per New Jersey Statute (NJ Stat) §2A:14-2, New Jersey imposes a two-year statute of limitations on most personal injury lawsuits. If the liable party in your accident is a government agency, there could be other deadlines that occur much earlier in your case.
Failing to meet the legal deadlines in your case could prevent you from collecting compensation via a lawsuit, even if you have strong evidence of the responsible party’s liability.
We can discuss what deadlines pertain to your case when you call us at (212) 751-9800. Morelli Law Firm offers free, no-obligation consultations to Jersey City garbage truck accident victims. Call us today.