Talking to a Jersey City fatal truck accident lawyer can be the best option for someone who recently lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence. A truck accident can be devastating for the victim’s relatives. Because of that, filing a claim during the aftermath of the accident can become challenging.
An experienced attorney can provide the legal support they need. Our team at Morelli Law understands how difficult it is to lose someone in a truck accident, and we are ready to represent you aggressively, either negotiating with insurance companies or presenting your case in court.
Determining Liability for a Jersey City Fatal Truck Accident
Many parties can be held liable for a fatal truck wreck. Even though truck drivers are liable most of the time, several parties and insurance companies can be involved. In some cases, it is possible to get damages from the truck drivers, the trucking company, or even the cargo loaders.
Nevertheless, other third parties, such as car drivers, technicians, and mechanics, can also hold a level of fault for an accident. Even the Jersey City Department of Transportation can be responsible for an accident when, for instance, the wreck is caused by poor road conditions, lack of signaling, or broken traffic lights.
Have You Been Injured In An Accident? Contact Morelli Law877-751-9800
Damages a Fatal Truck Accident Attorney in Jersey City Can Recover
Damages are divided into two primary categories. Compensatory damages can be calculated by a Jersey City attorney and are usually divided into economic and non-economic damages. In addition to the economic and non-economic damages common in a truck accident, a judge can grant punitive damages on exceptionally negligent accidents.
Economic Damages for a Fatal Truck Accident in Jersey City
A fatal accident victim can spend months recovering before passing away, leaving close relatives in substantial financial debt. Economic damages are meant to cover those and similar financial losses, such as any other damage to property and funeral bills.
Economic damages represent any quantifiable losses related to the accident, including past medical bills, current treatments, and loss of income. Economic damages are the most common type, and the liable party or their insurance company should pay for them. Some of the most frequent economic damages are:
- Loss of services. A wrongful death in the family can be devastating in many ways. Many of the services a loved one provides, such as companionship and parenting, are irreplaceable and must be taken into account.
- Funerary and burial costs. Honoring a loved one’s departure can be expensive. The costs of funeral services in New Jersey are higher than the US average and run into thousands of dollars.
- Loss of income. A fatal truck accident can be particularly complicated when your deceased family member is the main provider of the household. In those cases, you can get damages for the loss of future earnings, inheritance, and benefits.
- Medical Costs. If your loved one was taken to a hospital after the accident, you could claim damages for hospital bills, ambulance rides, surgeries, and any other procedure.
Non-economic Damages After a Loved One’s Wrongful Death
Non-economic damages are a form of compensation for subjective, emotional losses that are difficult to calculate. Examples of non-economic damages include things such as pain and suffering, loss of consortium, psychological consequences, and loss of enjoyment of life.
It is important to talk to an experienced Jersey City fatal truck accident lawyer to claim non-economic damages. Non-economic damages can be complicated to calculate, and most insurance companies ignore them completely.
What a Truck Accident Wrongful Death Lawyer Can Do for You
Truck accidents are different and usually more complicated than other collisions since many liable parties, insurance companies, and attorneys can be involved. But a Jersey City fatal truck accident lawyer can deal with every aspect of the legal process to pursue damages and maximize the compensation you get.
Talking to an attorney may be the last thing on your mind after losing someone in a fatal truck accident. Still, it is important to review your legal options, especially if you need to cover unexpected expenses due to the accident. These are some ways an experienced attorney can help:
- Dealing with liable parties and insurance companies. Insurance companies often try to diminish claims so they can close cases with minimum cost for the company. Your attorney can take care of negotiations on your behalf, so they won’t be able to take advantage.
- Finding expert witnesses. An expert mechanic, for instance, can see the evidence and determine whether a malfunctioning part in the truck caused the accident. Your attorney can also contact medical and financial experts.
- Conduct a private investigation. Your truck accident attorney can use the available evidence to build a solid case. They can also access police reports and medical records and find hard-to-get evidence, such as the trucking company logs and schedules.
- Interviewing eyewitnesses. Contacting and interviewing eyewitnesses can be difficult for surviving family members. Our attorneys have done it many times and know what to ask.
- Representing you in court. The main objective of our Jersey City fatal truck accident lawyers is to reach an off-court settlement since it tends to be the quickest and most beneficial outcome for our clients. But if such an agreement is impossible, we are also ready to get to court.
Contact a Fatal Truck Accident Lawyer in Jersey City
When wrongful death happens in the family, you need experienced legal advice to pursue damages and get justice. Morelli Law attorneys understand the emotional weight of a loved one’s loss and can listen carefully to your story and explain which legal options you have.
Nothing can replace a loved one, but a fatal truck accident attorney can get financial compensation to help your family ease their financial burden and bring them closure. Contact our Jersey City offices today and schedule a legal consultation at no charge.