If you were injured in a car accident, you may qualify to recover accident-related damages from the at-fault driver or a liable party. Our Jersey City car accident lawyer can investigate your accident to retrieve evidence and then pursue compensation through an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit for you.
Morelli Law Firm offers legal services for all types of car accidents. If you were in a collision and required medical treatment, our law firm could help you seek compensation for your medical expenses, lost pay, and other related damages. Every potential client receives a free case evaluation with a member of our team.
Our Team Will First Identify Who May Be Held Liable for Your Damages
Driver negligence does not cause all motor vehicle accidents. A defective auto part can cause a car to veer off the road or collide with another vehicle or object, leaving all passengers defenseless. Examples of automotive product liability we could present in your case include:
- Defective airbags
- Defective child restraints or car seats
- Defective seat belts
- Bad brakes
- Problems with brake lights or headlights
Manufacturers are responsible for ensuring that all auto parts work properly to provide a safe driving experience. When a defective product leads to an accident, the manufacturer, distributor, inspector, or retailer may be liable for damages.
Some Cases May Have Multiple Liable Parties or Conditional Liability
In certain cases, liability may vary even if there is an at-fault party. For example, in many truck accident cases, an at-fault truck driver’s employer may have “vicarious liability.” This type of liability holds employers responsible for their employees’ actions as a reflection of their business conduct.
Other examples where liability may vary can be seen in cases where:
- An Uber or Lyft driver is at fault for an accident: Rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft hold liability if the rideshare driver was logged in to the app and working, whether waiting for a ride or actively transporting a passenger. If the driver was not logged in, then their personal insurance would have to cover the accident.
- A teenager crashed their parent’s vehicle: Some traffic laws place liability on the vehicle owner when accident cases involve minors. Parents hold liability for their children and may have to use their auto insurance to cover accidents their teenage drivers cause.
- Municipalities fail to maintain proper road conditions: Accidents caused by poor road conditions like potholes, road construction, or environmental factors may place liability on the local municipality responsible for keeping roads safe. For example, if you got into an accident because the roads were not salted to keep ice off the road, you may be able to sue your local district for failing to follow standard safety protocol.
Regardless of who your collision involves, if you believe another party’s negligence caused your or your loved one’s injuries, our team would like to hear from you.
Our Attorneys Will Calculate How Much Compensation You Should Pursue
The compensation you can claim after a collision depends on the nature and extent of your losses. The following types of damages may be available in a car accident case:
Medical Bills for Past or Ongoing Treatment
Medical treatment can range from emergency medical care immediately after the accident to ongoing treatment, rehabilitation, and follow-ups. You may face expenses for:
- Hospitalization stays
- Pain medication
- Medical devices, e.g., wheelchairs or neck braces
- Bloodwork and other diagnostic tests
- Doctor’s appointments
- Physical therapy
When we review your case, we will consider any treatment you have already paid for and your outstanding medical bills. We will also review your prognosis based on records from your doctor to estimate the cost of any additional care you will eventually need.
Your total lost income may include lost wages or benefits. You may also miss out on potential bonuses, tips, or employment opportunities because of the crash. We can calculate your lost wages and the loss of future earning capacity when we represent you.
Pain and Suffering
We look beyond tangible damages, like medical bills, to determine how the accident changed your life. For example, you may experience physical suffering, anxiety, or depression because of your car accident and injuries.
When we assign a Jersey City car accident attorney to represent you, they will discuss what compensation may be available in your case.
Jersey City Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
How Our Jersey City Car Accident Lawyers Can Help
When you work with our firm’s car accident lawyers in Jersey City, we will manage your entire case for you. Some of the legal services we provide include:
- Consulting you on how to handle your case based on your legal options
- Handling all paperwork and case documents
- Estimating your damages’ total value
- Negotiating a fair settlement with the insurance company or the defendant
- Taking your case to trial if the insurer does not settle
You will have time to concentrate on your recovery when we handle these tasks for you. As your case moves through the claims or litigation system, we will provide updates and counsel you on how to move forward with your case.
Your Time to File Your Jersey City Car Accident Case is Limited
Do not wait too long before taking legal action after a car accident in Jersey City. Consider these deadlines:
- For personal injury cases: Per NJ Rev Stat § 2A:14-2, a two-year statute of limitations applies to most New Jersey personal injury lawsuits. This window period starts on the date of your accident.
- For wrongful death cases: If your loved one died in a car accident and you are pursuing compensation in a wrongful death lawsuit, a two-year statute of limitations may apply to your case, per NJ Rev Stat § 2A:31-3. This window period starts on the victim’s death date.
Whether you are filing a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit, there could be special circumstances in your case that alter these deadlines. Our team can explain more about what specific time restrictions pertain to your case.
Our Personal Injury Lawyers Work Hard to Hold Negligent Drivers Responsible
Our car accident lawyers in Jersey City handle cases when a driver’s negligence has caused injuries and other damages. Driver errors are frequently cited as the cause of collisions, so we see cases like this often. Examples of driver negligence that we may be able to base your claim or lawsuit on include:
- Speeding or aggressive driving
- Drunk driving
- Drowsy driving
- Texting while driving
- Violating other traffic laws
Our legal team can review the official crash report and conduct a separate investigation into your accident to determine if any of these causal factors were involved in your case. If we discover other contributing factors, we will collect evidence to prove your claims.
How to Handle Your Case After the Jersey City Accident
We recommend taking the following steps after a car accident:
Seek Medical Care Immediately
You may walk away from the car accident thinking you have minor injuries. However, some injuries may not manifest fully until a few days later. Therefore, we recommend that you seek emergency room care or see your doctor for an exam. The longer you wait to get medical treatment for your injuries, the harder it may become to connect them to the accident in your case.
Keep Careful Records
If possible, try to document your accident as much as possible. For example, photograph your vehicle’s damages and your injuries. Also, keep all medical reports, bills, and receipts. Your attorney can use this information to build your case.
Consider Seeking Support from Our Firm
Our car accident lawyers in Jersey City, N.J., offer a free, no-obligation case evaluation for auto wreck victims. We also operate under a contingency fee structure. We believe attorney’s fees shouldn’t keep you from seeking help with your personal injury case. Rather than charging you an upfront or hourly fee, we get paid only if we secure your settlement or award.
Get a Free Case Evaluation Today and Start Working with Our Accident Attorneys
Our team at Morelli Law Firm is available to help you with your car accident claim or lawsuit in New Jersey. A Jersey City car accident lawyer from our firm may be able to represent you. To learn more about working with us, call our office at (212) 751-9800 or submit a contact form for a free case evaluation.