The drivers of commercial vehicles like buses and large trucks can take negligent actions and cause accidents, just like any other driver on the road. If you were injured in a traffic accident caused by a commercial vehicle in North Bergen, you may be able to hold the driver and any other negligent parties financially responsible for your losses.
Fortunately, you do not need to pursue this compensation on your own. A North Bergen commercial motor vehicle accidents lawyer from Morelli Law Firm may be able to represent you in settlement negotiations or a personal injury lawsuit.
Commercial motor vehicle accidents can be complex, as it can be challenging to determine whether the driver, their company, or even a parts manufacturer is responsible for causing the crash. When Morelli Law Firm represents you, we can identify the liable party, gather evidence, and build a case for compensation while you focus on recovering from your injuries.
For a free, no-risk review of your case, call Morelli Law Firm today at (212) 751-9800.
Commercial Vehicle Driver Negligence
There are many ways in which a commercial driver could negligently cause an accident. Some of the most common ways include:
- Distracted driving: according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), activities such as using a GPS system, eating, or making phone calls while operating a vehicle can distract drivers from the road and increase the risk of an accident. Texting and driving can be particularly dangerous, as it requires you to take your hands off the wheel, your eyes off the road, and your focus off of driving.
- Fatigue: many commercial drivers spend long hours behind the wheel, potentially disrupting their normal sleep cycles and depriving themselves of rest. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) limits the number of hours drivers can work consecutively without rest. If a driver pushes beyond these limits and causes your accident, they may be liable for your injuries.
- Speeding: speeding is a major problem for all drivers. Commercial drivers sometimes choose to speed in order to make tight deadlines. This can lead to devastating accidents, as the large size of commercial vehicles can mean increased stopping distances at high speeds and stronger impact forces in collisions.
Other Causes of Commercial Vehicle Accidents
While it is natural to assume that the driver is responsible for an accident, this is not always the case. Other possible causes of accidents are:
- Defective equipment: defects to brakes, steering, and other car safety systems may cause accidents. These defects can be caused by a failure on the part of the company that owns the vehicle to properly maintain it or by poor maintenance by an improperly trained or negligent technician.
- Parts malfunction: sometimes, the responsibility lies with the manufacturer that produces a defective part prior to the time it was put on the commercial vehicle.
- Road hazards: if it turns out that your accident was caused by a road hazard or a lack of proper signage, a negligent municipality responsible for keeping the roads safe may be liable for your injuries.
A North Bergen commercial motor vehicle accidents lawyer from Morelli Law Firm can investigate your accident and determine who is liable for your injuries when we represent you.
If you believe that another party’s negligence caused your accident, call Morelli Law Firm for a free review of your case at (212) 751-9800.
North Bergen Commercial Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
Injuries in a Commercial Vehicle Accident
Victims can sustain a wide range of injuries in a commercial vehicle accident. These may include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Burns, cuts, or scrapes
- Broken bones
- Spinal injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Airbag impact injuries
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
We recommend seeing a doctor as soon as possible after your accident. A doctor can diagnose your injuries and begin treatment. Seeing a doctor promptly after your accident can also create a link in your medical record between the accident and your injuries that may be used as evidence in your case.
Types of Recoverable Damages
The potentially recoverable damages in a commercial motor vehicle accident may depend on the details of your case, such as how severe or permanent your injuries are, and what your financial losses have been.
In general, recoverable damages in this type of case may include:
- Hospitalization, doctor’s examinations, and surgical procedures
- Physical or occupational therapy
- Estimated future costs of medical care
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning potential
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
Wrongful Death Damages
If your loved one died in a commercial motor vehicle accident, your family may be able to recover a different set of damages through a wrongful death lawsuit. The recoverable damages in a wrongful death case may include:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Medical costs left to the family
- Wages and benefits previously provided by the deceased
A North Bergen commercial motor vehicle accidents lawyer from Morelli Law Firm may be able to represent your family in a wrongful death lawsuit. Call us today to learn more.
How Morelli Law Firm May Be Able to Help You
When you work with a North Bergen commercial motor vehicle accidents lawyer from Morelli Law Firm on your case, we can provide you with a variety of legal services. These may include:
- Answering your questions and keeping you updated on your case
- Communicating with all parties on your behalf
- Identifying the liable party and gathering evidence of their liability
- Collecting evidence of your damages
- Negotiating with the liable party’s insurance company
- Taking your case to trial, if necessary
For a free review of your case, contact Morelli Law Firm today at (212) 751-9800.