According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were over 5,000 motorcycle fatalities in 2017. Because there is nothing to protect the rider from being ejected or against the impact of a crash, injuries from these accidents tend to be severe or life-threatening.
If you or someone you love is suffering because of injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident, a North Bergen motorcycle accident lawyer from Morelli Law Firm may be able to help you gather evidence, build a case, and negotiate a settlement for your losses.
We understand how overwhelming these cases can be. The team at Morelli Law Firm can answer all of your questions and guide you through the process from start to finish, taking the burden off your shoulders while you focus on healing from your injuries. For a free, no-risk case review, contact Morelli Law Firm today at (212) 751-9800.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
There are many circumstances that can lead to motorcycle accidents. Some common causes are:
- Blind spots: motorcycles can easily move into a car’s blind spot. If the motorist decides to change lanes, they may not see the biker and could hit them.
- Lane splitting: lane splitting is when the motorcyclist rides on the line between lanes of traffic to avoid stopping or slowing down for heavy traffic. This practice can take bikers close to other cars and may increase the likelihood of an accident.
- Turns: a driver may fail to see an oncoming motorcyclist when they are making a left turn. A driver may also fail to see an approaching motorcyclist from behind when they change lanes.
Proving Liability in a Motorcycle Accident Case
When a North Bergen motorcycle accident lawyer from Morelli Law Firm represents you, our firm can gather evidence of the responsible party’s liability. This may involve proving that another driver caused your motorcycle accident with a negligent act, such as:
- Breaking a traffic rule
- Intoxicated driving
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy driving
Depending on the specifics of your case, we may determine that a non-driver party is liable for your injuries. This could be true if a negligent mechanic caused your accident by failing to service your motorcycle correctly. If your accident was caused by a dangerous road condition, it is possible that a municipality responsible for maintaining the roadways is liable.
Our team can gather a variety of evidence to build your case against the responsible party. This may include:
- Photos and videos from the accident
- Police reports
- Surveillance or traffic camera footage
- Witness testimony
- Your medical records
- Testimony from accident reconstruction experts
- And more
If you believe that another party’s negligence caused your motorcycle accident, call Morelli Law Firm today at (212) 751-9800 for a free consultation on your case with a member of our team.
North Bergen Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
Types of Recoverable Damages in a Motorcycle Accident Case
The types of damages you may recover depend on the details of your motorcycle accident case, such as the severity of your injuries or the full extent of financial losses. Some common types of damages victims may recover in cases like these include:
- Ambulance rides and hospital stays
- Surgical procedures and physical or recreational therapy
- Estimated future costs of medical care
- Lost wages
- Future wages if your earning potential is lost or diminished
- Pain and suffering
- And more
If your loved one did not survive the accident or passed away later because of the severity of their injuries, your family may be able to recover damages in a wrongful death lawsuit. Recoverable damages in this type of claim may include:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Medical costs left to the family to pay
- Wages and benefits previously provided by the deceased
- And more
How a North Bergen Motorcycle Accident Lawyer May Be Able to Help
There are many ways that a North Bergen motorcycle accident lawyer from Morelli Law Firm can take the burden off your shoulders and help with your case. Here are a few specific ways:
- Answering your legal questions and offering you guidance from start to finish
- Gathering evidence like police reports, witness statements, and video footage if available
- Obtaining copies of your medical records and speaking with your doctors to understand the full impact the case will have on your future
- Gathering bills and receipts to calculate the value of your case, including the cost of your pain and suffering
- Negotiating with the insurance company to recover a fair settlement for your injuries
- Fighting for your rights at trial if an agreeable settlement cannot be reached
To learn more about these services, call Morelli Law Firm today.
A Time Limit for Legal Action in New Jersey
Every state has a statute of limitations that limits the amount of time people have to pursue compensation in a lawsuit after an accident.
In New Jersey, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is generally two years, per New Jersey Revised Statutes (NJ Rev Stat) §2A:14-2. If your loved one died as a result of the accident and you intend to file a wrongful death lawsuit, the statute of limitations is generally two years, per NJ Rev Stat §2A:31-3.
If you do not file your claim by the time the statute of limitations runs out, in either situation, you may be barred from recovering any damages via a lawsuit.
Call Morelli Law Firm Today
You do not have to face settlement negotiations or a personal injury lawsuit alone. Morelli Law Firm. A North Bergen motorcycle accident lawyer from Morelli Law Firm may be able to handle all aspects of your case when we represent you. You can focus on your recovery while we defend your rights.
For a free, no-obligation review of your motorcycle accident claim, call Morelli Law Firm today at (212) 751-9800.