Were you or a loved one the victim of a big rig accident? You may be eligible for compensation. To pursue this compensation, you can file a lawsuit with the help of a Long Island big rig accident lawyer. Call the office of the Morelli Law Firm today at (212) 751-9800 to get started. We charge nothing upfront, and we only collect our fee if we can get compensation for you.
After the Accident
The Institute for Traffic Safety Management and Research (ITSMR) reports that large truck accident fatalities decreased statewide between 2014 and 2018. Large truck accident injuries also dropped slightly during the same period. Altogether, 88 percent of these fatal and injury accidents involved multiple vehicles. This number represents thousands of innocent bystanders who were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Immediately after the crash, assess your position and your health. Get out of the roadway if you must and call an ambulance if you or your passengers were injured. You can then talk to the other driver, make sure they do not need help, and exchange contact and insurance information with them.
Getting the other driver’s insurance information will make it easier for you to receive compensation down the line. Should a driver injure you, they are legally required to give you their insurance information per New York Vehicle & Traffic (VAT) §600. This law also requires accident drivers to report the crash to the authorities and stay on the scene until law enforcement officers arrive. Failure to do so constitutes a hit-and-run and is a misdemeanor. If caught, the hit-and-run driver might face a fine.
As soon as you have taken care of your immediate needs, you could call the Morelli Law Firm at (212) 751-9800. At no cost or obligation to you, we will evaluate your accident, tell you if you have a case, and explain how a Long Island big rig accident lawyer can help you recover compensation.
Economic and Non-Economic Damages
To figure out what damages you might qualify to receive, you will have to list all the ways the accident has upended your life. Then, you must put a price tag, so to speak, on each one. This process can be tricky, and you may want to consult a lawyer to ensure the numbers you calculate are accurate.
As you already know, truck accidents can end up being extremely expensive. You could face increasing bills and decreasing income because of:
- Loss of wages: Your family depends on your income. Thanks to your injuries, you were unable to work for a lengthy period.
- Loss of employment: Your injuries cost you your job, either because your boss let you go, or you can no longer fulfill your duties.
- Medical bills: You went to the hospital, had tests done, received a prescription, hired a home nurse, or received any other treatment for your injuries. In wrongful death cases, you may be able to receive compensation for the treatment your loved one received before their passing.
- Repair bills: You had to pay for repairs to your car, or the insurance company totaled your car, and you must buy a new vehicle.
The above losses are referred to in legal terms as economic damages. They are just one type of damage that you may be entitled to receive after an accident.
The second type of damage is non-economic damages, which is compensation for the physical and emotional toll inflicted by the crash. You might qualify for noneconomic damages if you experienced:
- Pain and suffering: Your injuries caused physical or emotional distress that affected your entire life, either in the short or long term. In wrongful death cases, you can sue for your loved one’s pain and suffering.
- Disfigurement: Your injuries permanently altered your physical abilities and appearance.
- Disability: Your injuries have resulted in the loss or loss of use of any body part or system (e.g., hearing loss or an amputated limb).
- Diminished quality of life: Pain or disability will always keep you from living independently or engaging in your favorite activities.
Long Island Big Rig Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
Filing Your Lawsuit
Do you still have questions about your lawsuit, or are you ready to begin right away? Either way, the Morelli Law Firm is here to help. We are happy to do whatever we can, including:
- Providing advice: We can tell you what your first steps should be and help keep you on the right track throughout your case. Also, if you have questions or something new to report, you can let us know right away.
- Seeking evidence: To strengthen your case, your lawyer may take pictures of the accident scene, retrieve your medical records, review surveillance footage, and more.
- Communicating: You will have no direct interaction with the liable party, their insurance company, or their lawyer. Our team is happy to mediate all the necessary discussions.
- Negotiating: We can confront the insurance company on your behalf. During our meetings with them, we will present the evidence we have gathered and fight for the compensation you need.
- Going to trial: In cases where the insurance company is not open to paying a fair settlement, you have the option of scheduling a trial. Your lawyer will explain how this process works and represent you in the courtroom.
- Charging nothing upfront: We strive to make our services as affordable as possible. Therefore, you will only pay us if you receive compensation. If you do not recover compensation, you owe us nothing.
Call Us Today to Get Started
Big rig accidents can change your life in ways big and small. The Morelli Law Firm stands ready to provide you with a Long Island big rig accident lawyer to fight for your rights and compensation. Keep in mind that New York Civil Practice Law & Rules (CVP) §214 allows you just three years to file a personal injury lawsuit. Give us a call today at (212) 751-9800. We can assess your case at no charge, and you will owe us no fees unless you recover compensation.