If you have been injured in a crash with FedEx, Walmart, UPS, DHL, or Amazon delivery trucks, you may be able to recover compensation, depending on the circumstances of the collision.
Although these trucks and their drivers, by virtue of their role in the nation’s logistics and freight industry, are vital to people taking delivery of their purchased items, the reality is that they have come under undue pressure from increased consumer demands. As a result, some drivers have to work for longer hours than they ought to.
And these prolonged hours, among other things, can lead to crashes with other road users and cause catastrophic injuries or kill them. Don’t let them get away with their actions. Our Long Island delivery truck accident lawyers can help you get the settlement you deserve.
Liability in Long Island Delivery Truck Accident Cases
According to reports from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), truck accident-related fatalities are at their highest in decades. When people get hurt in these delivery truck crashes, it is important to find out why the accident happened in the first place. This will help establish liability so injured victims can get the compensation they deserve.
As a rule, delivery companies are usually held liable for the wrecks caused by their drivers. This is because more often than not, the drivers were doing the bidding of the delivery company – sometimes against their wishes – when they were involved in the accident.
For example, if a trucker has worked his or her shift for the mandatory hours of service, but the delivery company insists that they need to work a few more hours because it’s peak season, the company will be held liable if the driver falls asleep behind the wheel and crashes into another vehicle.
Who Is Liable for Your Accident?
Most delivery truck crashes can be traced to their parent company’s negligence. However, there may be some instances in which an injured victim of a delivery van collision would have to directly deal with the driver’s insurance company, instead of the driver’s company.
Ultimately, you’ll need the seasoned perspective of experienced delivery truck accident lawyers in Long Island, NY, to determine liability and file your compensation claims with the responsible party’s insurance company.
At Morelli Law Firm, our delivery truck crash attorneys can help identify the liable party and pursue compensation on your behalf.
Our Case Building Process
Every delivery truck collision case has a customized process to it. This helps us build the case so that it goes in your favor. This way, you’re more likely to win and receive your full settlement. Here’s what our case-building process looks like:
- Take a look at the crash report – According to the New York Vehicle & Traffic Law §605, any vehicle collision with potential vehicular damage exceeding $1,000 must be reported. So, we’ll look at the incident report
- Get the contact details for all parties including witnesses who were at the accident scene
- Ascertain the date and time of the filing
- Investigate the cause of the crash
- Determine the extent of your injuries, losses, and property damage – New York has a categorization system for identifying the severity of the injury
- Identify all liable parties – this may include more than one liable party
- Find out how much you’ve spent on treatment, vehicle repairs, and other losses you may have suffered
- File a claim with their insurance company
- Engage the services of expert witnesses if necessary
- Negotiate your claim and follow through until your settlement is paid
- If the insurance company refuses to settle, we will take the case to trial
- Fight for and represent you in court until you receive a fair settlement
Long Island Delivery Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
The Importance of Evidence in Building Your Case
Your ability to receive an adequate settlement from the delivery truck wreck is largely tied to your attorney’s capacity to gather adequate evidence and use it well. Our delivery truck accident attorneys in Long Island, NY, typically take a look at the following when investigating the delivery truck’s driver:
- Previous evidence of infractions or traffic violations
- The company’s adherence to safety codes and rigorous vehicle maintenance schedules
- Examine photographs and/or videos of the accident scene
- Surveillance footage of drivers in the cabin
- The truck’s black box
- The truck’s trip logs
- Proof of past misconduct
- Trucker’s driving schedule
- Whether the trucker had adequate experience or not – some delivery companies are hiring just about anyone who can drive because of an acute truck driver shortage in the country
- See if the driver was working directly with Amazon or a third-party contractor
All these and more will go to building a rock-solid and airtight case so that you end up receiving the compensation that you deserve.
How Much Can You Receive as Compensation from a Long Island Delivery Truck Case?
In New York, you can recover both economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages are compensation for losses that can be easily quantified financially. Examples include medical expenses, lost wages, reduced ability to earn a living, vehicle repair costs, and other losses.
Non-economic damages are very real losses that are much harder to assign financial value to. For instance, non-economic damages include things like:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
But how do you estimate the pecuniary value of these nebulous but very real issues? This is one of the things that our experienced Long Island delivery truck accident lawyers do for injured truck crash victims in New York.
We will work with experts to ascertain the true value of your damages so that you can receive commensurate compensation for your injuries and losses.
Contact an Experienced Long Island Delivery Truck Accident Lawyer
Accidents involving delivery trucks or vans can be quite devastating. This, in part, is due to their size. These vehicles tend to be considerably bigger than the average passenger vehicle or other smaller vehicles.
So, when they crash into these smaller vehicles, the injured victims tend to be the occupants of the smaller vehicles. And these injuries can very quickly lead to death, financial ruin, and/or impaired quality of life.
When you’re dealing with these, you need the help of an experienced Long Island delivery truck accident attorney to help you get the money you need to settle your bills, take care of your loved ones, and get back on your feet. Morelli Law Firm has highly skilled and competent lawyers committed to getting you the maximum compensation you deserve.
Contact us today to schedule a free case evaluation.