Wrong-way accidents are not common, but they can be incredibly deadly. If you suffered severe injuries in a wrong-way accident in Englewood or you lost a loved one in this type of accident, you might be eligible to claim compensation for your damages. Not sure how to go about demanding compensation from the at-fault party? An Englewood wrong-way accident lawyer from Morelli Law Firm can help you organize the materials you need to file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit.
To start the process, call our firm at (212) 751-9800 and discuss how you were injured in the accident in a free case evaluation. From there, we may begin launching an investigation and assessing the kind of damages that apply to your case.
You Must First Determine the Cause of the Wrong-Way Accident
When you hand your case over to us, one of the first things we might do is determine what caused the accident. Of course, if your case is about a wrong-way driver, then the immediate answer is that the other driver was going in the wrong direction on a one-way roadway or was on the wrong side of the road. However, your case argument can be stronger if you can pinpoint the specific factor that led the motorist to drive in the wrong direction.
For example, some common factors that lead to wrong-way accidents include:
- Improper signage or lack of traffic signals: While local municipalities are responsible for making sure road signs are accurate and appropriate for motorists to navigate safely, some roads might lack signs or have incorrect signs. This might lead drivers to become confused while driving or even led astray.
- Alcohol or drug consumption: Drivers who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs while driving are more prone to making misjudgments, such as determining which side of the road to drive on. Substance use might also reduce people’s motor skills, meaning they might accidentally drive onto the wrong side of the wrong while swerving.
- Texting and other driving distractions: If a driver is not looking at the road, they might steer in the wrong direction. Even a few seconds to read a text, look at a GPS, or talk to a friend can be enough for a driver to veer off into the wrong lane, especially if there is no road median, and cause an accident.
- Nighttime and poor weather conditions: Sometimes, environmental factors hinder people’s ability to see the road well, including signs. These factors include heavy rain, fog, roads with limited to no lighting, and even bright sunny days when sun glare is high.
You and your legal team may investigate the cause of your accident and structure how the other party’s negligence led to the accident. In some cases, such as when there are improper road signs, you might also pursue action against a government entity, which can affect how long you have to file your case.
In most situations, you have about two years from the date of injury to file a personal injury lawsuit, per the New Jersey Revised Statutes §2A:14-2. However, you might need to consult with your legal team about this deadline if your case involves a municipality, as this deadline might be shorter.
Have You Been Injured In An Accident? Contact Morelli Law877-751-9800
You Might Be Entitled to Claim Several Kinds of Damages
Every case is different, so damages vary on what kind of personal inflictions you experienced after a wrong-way accident. You might be entitled to demand compensation for:
- Medical expenses, which may include debts you owe for treatment procedures and out-of-pocket expenses you already paid for
- Property damage that you have to pay to get repaired or replaced
- Wages you had to lose because you had to take time off work for medical treatment, recovery, or fixing your vehicle
- Pain and suffering you experienced, including psychological trauma from the accident
An Englewood wrong-way accident lawyer may suggest other types of damages you might be entitled to claim. A team member from Morelli Law Firm can also provide more details about this process in a free consultation, which you can receive by calling (212) 751-9800.
Our Attorneys Provide Multiple Services to Help Our Clients Grow Their Case
At Morelli Law Firm, we offer a variety of legal services to our clients to help them build and develop their case. Some of the services we offer include:
- Giving a free case evaluation so that you can better understand where you stand legally
- Investigating the cause of your car accident
- Collecting evidence to support your claims about the accident and your damages
- Filing paperwork by their deadlines
- Communicating with the insurance company or the other party’s legal team on your behalf
- Representing you during negotiations or in a court trial if necessary
- Advising you on settlement offers you receive and before making legal decisions
- Updating you on the progress of your case
Morelli Law Firm Can Guide You Throughout Your Case
If you are interested in working with our law firm, call our main line at (212) 751-9800 to start setting up your client profile. The first call consists of a free consultation, which can help you learn more about our legal services and how we may be able to assist you. We also work on a contingency-fee-basis, so you may also ask more questions about that payment system.
At Morelli Law Firm, we take care of your legal needs so that you can focus back on your personal recovery. Let an Englewood wrong-way accident lawyer from our firm do the hard work for you. Call today.