Tractor-trailer truck accidents can be quite devastating. In accidents involving an 18-wheeler and a passenger vehicle, the ensuing damage can be catastrophic to both the victims and their vehicles. Often, people get killed in crashes involving these types of trucks.
For truck accident survivors in Missouri, victims may have to live with the consequences of the accident for a long time. And even when they heal physically, the mental and psychological trauma may never really be resolved.
If you’ve been injured in a FedEx truck crash, you need the help of an experienced Chesterfield FedEx truck accident attorney to get the compensation you deserve. Morelli Law Firm’s truck accident lawyers can ensure you receive it.
Proving Fault in a FedEx Truck Accident Case in Chesterfield, MO
Although FedEx drivers are expected to adhere to safe roadway practices, the reality is that they’re often under tremendous pressure to meet delivery targets. As a result, they may be in a hurry, engage in reckless actions on the road, and generally make the roads unsafe for other road users.
Before you can file a FedEx truck accident compensation claim, you have to prove that the driver or another party was at fault. And to do that, you must demonstrate that they were negligent or careless in their actions. Some examples of negligence on the roadways include:
- Driving while distracted: Truckers who engage in distracting activities such as texting, looking for stuff on the floor, or doing anything other than paying full attention while driving can cause serious wrecks.
- Driver fatigue: FedEx truckers may have to drive while they’re sleep-deprived. This can lead to devastating truck crashes caused by a driver who was asleep behind the wheel.
- Inclement or bad weather: Black ice, sleet, extreme winds, thick fog, heavy rain, and snow squall can cause trucks to hydroplane, slide or skid without control, and crash into other vehicles. This is why car pile-ups tend to occur in bad weather.
- Spilled content on the roadway: For example, spilled petroleum fluids such as diesel can make the road extra slippery, leading to accidents and crashes.
- Excessive speeding or reckless driving: FedEx truck drivers who drive past the recommended speed limits or engage in dangerous roadway behaviors like tailgating or sudden lane changing can cause collisions and injuries to innocent victims.
- Driving under the influence: Even though driving while intoxicated is a criminal offense in Missouri, some drivers still do that. Unfortunately, being high or drunk while operating heavy machinery can lead to unnecessary mistakes on the road.
These are just some of the things that Your FedEx truck accident attorney in Chesterfield, MO, would have to investigate to prove and show who was at fault in the accident.
Please note that because Missouri is a pure comparative fault state, the insurance company and even your attorney might try to determine the degree to which you were at fault. The good news is that you can still get some compensation even if you were partly at fault for the crash.
How Much Can I Get From a FedEx Truck Collision Claim in Missouri?
Each FedEx truck has $5 million auto liability insurance coverage. This means that you could potentially get up to that if your injury attorney is experienced and capable. However, just because each truck carries that amount of liability doesn’t mean that you’ll automatically get that much.
How much you’ll get as compensation depends on various factors, such as:
- How bad your injuries are: Victims with catastrophic injuries tend to get more compensation than those with mild or moderate injuries because they often need more medical treatment and have a longer recovery time.
- The extent of property damage: If your vehicle was totaled or sustained major damage, you may need to completely replace the vehicle.
- Driver’s liability: What caused the accident and the driver’s actions can influence your settlement amount. If there’s proof of clear malicious intent and action on the driver’s part, that may increase the compensation amount.
- Whether the driver is in FedEx’s direct employ: Many FedEx drivers are independent contractors, although that’s in contention now. So, the company may not be directly responsible for the driver’s liabilities. Your attorney will need to figure out this one.
- Whether someone was killed: Because of the size of FedEx semis, tractor-trailers, and smaller-sized trucks, fatalities are a real concern. So, if someone is killed in an accident, this will affect the final settlement.
There are many more factors that will determine what your final settlement will be. However, you need to understand that because FedEx has a large legal department, your case might take time. So, give your attorney the time that they’ll need to get you your rightful compensation.
Chesterfield FedEx Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
Recoverable Damages in Chesterfield FedEx Truck Crash Case
You can file a claim for two categories of damages, depending on your situation:
These are damages that you can put a direct dollar value on because the various parties that will bill you for them will provide invoices and receipts. They include:
- Hospital bills and medical treatment expenses
- Loss of income
- Property damage
- Reduced capacity to earn an income
- Future lost income
- Household running costs
- Out-of-pocket expenses
These include subjective emotional, physical, and psychological pain and turmoil that the victim has to live with post-accident. These include:
- PTSD, depression, and mental anxiety
- Panic attacks
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of companionship
In more rare cases, punitive damages may be awarded in court. These damages are meant to punish someone for gross negligence or malicious behavior while deterring others from behaving similarly.
Contact an Experienced Chesterfield FedEx Truck Accident Lawyer
When dealing with the aftermath of a truck crash, you need a skilled lawyer experienced in dealing with large trucking companies. Remember that FedEx is a multibillion-dollar corporation with a massive legal department whose sole mission is to thwart all efforts at compensation and fight all litigation.
You need a Chesterfield FedEx truck accident lawyer who can go against the big corporation and emerge victorious. The legal team at Morelli Law Firm is uniquely equipped to handle cases like this. We have gone to battle for our clients against similar corporations and won them huge settlements to the tune of over $1 billion.
Let us help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact our legal team today for a free case evaluation.