Another driver colliding with the back of your car can leave you shocked and injured. If you or someone you love was involved in a rear-end collision, you might be entitled to financial compensation due to the at-fault driver’s negligence.
A White Plains, NY rear-end collision attorney at Morelli Law Firm can help you prove how the other driver’s negligent actions caused the accident that injured you. They may also help you fight for compensation with an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. You should not have to bear the financial burden of your car accident injuries alone.
Your Lawyer May Prove How the At-Fault Driver Caused the Accident
Our team may ask you to obtain a copy of your official crash report if you are considering filing a personal injury insurance claim or lawsuit against the driver who ran into the back of your car. New York’s vehicle and traffic laws require you to file a crash report if an accident led to:
- An injury
- A fatality
- Property damage of at least $1,000
Your crash report might help your rear-end collision lawyer in White Plains, NY, prove the cause of the rear-end accident. The report might contain:
- The investigating officer’s notes
- A diagram that describes the accident
- Each vehicle’s points of impact
- Details on any tickets issued
- Vehicle damage codes
Your crash report can be a valuable piece of evidence that might also include the names of all involved parties and any fatalities.
Proving Your Rear-End Collision Injuries
If you were the driver or passenger in a car that was rear-ended by another driver, you might have sustained injuries that caused short- or long-term physical damage. Whiplash is a commonly reported rear-end accident injury. Whiplash is a neck injury that occurs when your neck snaps back and forth after a powerful impact.
Whiplash can range from minor to severe depending on the intensity of the accident. If you suffer from whiplash as the result of a rear-end accident, you might experience symptoms like:
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Pain that worsens with movement
- Limited range of neck motion
- Persistent headaches
- Arm tenderness, tingling, or numbness
- Fatigue, dizziness, visual disturbances
- Lethargy, memory problems, or depression
To heal from whiplash you may need to seek medical attention.You might require costly and extensive treatments that include:
- Extended rest and immobility
- Over-the-counter medications
- Prescription medications
- Specialized exercises
- Extended physical therapy
- Supportive foam cervical collars
If you and your attorney can prove negligence, you might be eligible to collect financial compensation to cover your injury-related expenses and losses.
How Negligence is Proven in a Rear-End Car Crash
When you get into a rear-end car accident, a rear-end collision attorney in White Plains, NY, can help you prove who is at fault in a rear-end collision. To do this, 4 elements must be present, these include:
- Duty of Care: The alleged negligent party must have had an obligation to provide a reasonable amount of care to avoid causing any injuries. All drivers on the road have a duty of care to drive responsibly.
- Breach of Duty: The driver that rear-ended you ignored the duty of care. This can range from failing to stop at a stop light or even being under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Injury: Your lawyer must be able to prove that your injuries are a result of the defendant’s negligent actions. To prove it, a rear-end accident lawyer can compile evidence that shows a link between the breach of duty and your injury.
- Damages: You must have actual damages that you have suffered as a result of your injury. This can include things like costly medical bills and a damaged car.
If an attorney can prove the other driver’s negligence, you can hold them accountable and request compensation from them.
White Plains Rear-End Collisions Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
Make Sure to File Your Lawsuit Before the Statutory Deadline
If you are considering seeking financial compensation from the negligent driver who caused your rear-end car accident, do not hesitate to contact a member of our personal injury team as soon as possible. According to the New York Civil Practice Law & Rules (CVP) § 214, you are generally entitled to three years from the date of the accident to file your personal injury lawsuit.
Failing to file your lawsuit on time may force you to inadvertently give up the right to file your lawsuit and compel the negligent driver to compensate you for your damages.Should you file your personal injury lawsuit on time, you may be able to recover the following economic and non-economic damages:
- Current medical care costs
- Future medical care costs
- Current loss of income
- Future loss of income
- Property repair costs
- Property replacement costs
- Pain and suffering
- Mental distress
- Emotional trauma
Every personal injury claim is different, and your potential compensation might include expenses and losses not included in this list. You can discuss your potential financial recovery with one of our rear-end collision lawyers in White Plains, NY.
What is the Average Payout for a Rear-End Collision?
After you get into a rear-end collision accident and you qualify for a case, you may wonder how much your settlement may be. There is no specific settlement amount that applies to every rear-end accident. However, our rear-end collision attorneys in White Plains, NY, can tell you how certain factors can determine your settlement amount.
The severity of your injuries is one of the factors that can determine your settlement. The general rule is the more serious your injuries are, the higher your settlement may be. The injuries that have the highest payout are the ones that severely inhibit you from functioning normally like paralysis.
Another factor that affects your settlement is the amount of damages you sustain. If you’ve been in a total loss rear-end collision where your car is severely damaged, your settlement may be higher. The higher amount of damages you have as a result of the accident, the more your settlement will be.
The last factor that can determine your rear-end car accident settlement is the number of negligent parties involved. If there are multiple parties that contributed to your accident, you may be able to hold them accountable and recover compensation.
Know the Benefits of a White Plains Rear-End Collisions Lawyer
In New York, you can file a compensation claim on your own. However, there are benefits and advantages to hiring a rear-end car accident lawyer that you might want to consider.
Our team can concentrate on moving your case forward while you concentrate on recovering from your injuries. Your attorney may also:
- Review and assess each settlement offer you receive
- Build a comprehensive case file that supports your claim
- Identify, locate, and interview witnesses to the rear-end collision
- Obtain, complete, and submit insurance forms
- Assess the total monetary value of your pending compensation package
Your lawyer might also be able to help ensure you do not accept a settlement offer that does not fairly cover your damages, including damages you expect to incur in the future.
We Build a Comprehensive Case File for Each Client
Our firm makes sure that we build a strong case for every client that qualifies for a rear-end accident case. The case file that bolsters and supports your right to financial compensation due to a negligent driver may include:
- Medical records and bills
- Official crash report
- Witness statements
- Pictures of your injuries
- Pictures of your vehicle
- Proof of your lost income
We can build a robust case file so that we have the documents we need to prove how the at-fault driver’s negligence caused the rear-end collision. Your case file may also help us prove the total extent of your damages and losses, including how much compensation you need to recover.
Morelli Law Firm Will Fight for Your Financial Recovery
You might be entitled to receive compensation if you were injured in a White Plains car accident. You can review the details of the rear-end accident with one of our team members, and we can assign a White Plains rear-end collisions lawyer to your case to help you get started.
Contact the personal injury team at Morelli Law Firm by giving us a call or filling out the contact form on our website for a free case evaluation.