Although the majority of bus drivers safely operate their vehicles, accidents can still occur. And when bus collisions happen, the blunt force of its heavy frame can cause devastating and sometimes fatal injuries to others—whether they are passengers or other motorists on the road.
If you sustained injuries due to a bus collision, let our White Plains bus accident attorneys handle your claim. At Morelli Law Firm, our professionals are equipped to take on your case and pursue justice for your losses. Get started by scheduling a free accident claim review now.
Common Causes of Bus Accidents in New York
Bus drivers often need to maneuver their vehicles through narrow city streets clogged with parked cars and other obstacles. Driving in tight spaces can lead to minor fender benders, but it can also cause drivers to miss seeing a pedestrian or a bicyclist until it is too late.
Some of the most common reasons for bus accidents throughout New York include:
- Aggressive driving: If the bus driver tries to hurry because they are running late on a route, it may lead to speeding and reckless behavior.
- Excessive fatigue: If a bus driver works long hours, especially at night, fatigue can impair their driving skills and cause them to fall asleep at the wheel.
- Texting while driving: If the bus driver uses their smartphone while behind the wheel, it can cause the bus to miss traffic signals, veer off the road, or collide with other motor vehicles.
- Driving while drunk: If the bus driver took drugs or drank alcohol before starting the workday, they may suffer significant judgment errors while operating the commercial vehicle.
In addition to bus driver negligence, a bus company, city government, or manufacturer can also be liable for a collision. If another party played a role in your injuries, our bus accident attorneys can help you file a claim.
Determining Fault After a Bus Collision
The typical New York bus weighs between 25,000 and 40,000 pounds, drastically outweighing 3,000-pound passenger vehicles. This significant weight difference can lead to extensive injuries for motor vehicle passengers, pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcyclists during a crash.
If you were involved in a bus accident, the cause of the crash might not have been solely due to the bus driver. Instead, the negligence of multiple parties may have caused your injuries. For example, if the bus company failed to maintain regular vehicle repairs, worn-down parts may have caused the collision.
When you hire a White Plains bus accident lawyer from Morelli Law Firm, we determine which parties are responsible for your damages. First, our legal experts study the facts to figure out why the accident occurred and identify all parties who contributed to the crash. From there, we use that information to demand a fair settlement from the insurance company.
Bus Accident Lawyers Negotiate With Insurers for You
You have the right to negotiate with the other driver’s insurance company on your own rather than hiring an attorney. However, when you do not deal with these situations regularly, it can be challenging to know whether the insurer is offering you a fair settlement for your losses.
But that’s where our bus accident lawyers come in. We can study your medical records, interview doctors, and review pay stubs to determine the correct value of your compensatory damages. In addition, if your injuries caused permanent disabilities or trauma, we will make sure your settlement includes estimated future medical costs and lost earning potential.
Don’t Attempt to Negotiate Alone
You may find that the insurance company offers you a smaller settlement than your losses merit. If this happens, you do not have to accept the initial offer. Accident victims have a right to negotiate for fair compensation. While this can be challenging to do on your own, a skilled personal injury lawyer can demand justice on your behalf.
Many insurance companies downplay injuries or argue that the victim contributed to the accident to reduce their client’s liability. Our attorneys use evidence to prove the full extent of your injuries as well as how the defendant caused the accident. If the insurance company still refuses to make a fair payment, we will take your claim to court.
White Plains Bus Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
Damages to Pursue After a White Plains Bus Crash
Compensatory damages reimburse accident victims for the losses following a collision. To ensure your settlement covers all of your economic and non-economic damages, file a personal injury lawsuit against the liable driver, company, or insurance provider.
Our White Plains bus accident attorneys will seek to collect damages that cover:
- Medical expenses: All costs incurred while treating injuries and any future medical bills you are expecting for ongoing care.
- Property damages: Any expenses you are facing for repairing or replacing a motor vehicle damaged in the bus crash.
- Loss of income: Reimbursement for lost wages, tips, or benefits you missed while recovering from your injuries.
- Pain and suffering: Compensation for the physical and emotional trauma you endured due to the bus accident.
- Out-of-pocket expenses: Miscellaneous costs incurred while recovering from your injuries, such as paying for transportation or hiring childcare services.
When you hire a skilled bus accident law firm, we include all of your damages in your settlement.
Seeking Recovery After a Fatal New York Bus Collision
Large truck and bus crash facts from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) show over 5,000 fatal accidents in 2018. Losing a loved one in a bus collision is traumatic, but our New York accident attorneys can help you seek justice on their behalf.
In New York, a spouse, child, or parent can bring a wrongful death claim against a liable party. These types of civil suits allow family members to seek financial recovery for:
- Medical costs leading to the death
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of future income and benefits
Navigating a wrongful death claim after a fatal bus collision is complex. Let our legal experts take the burden off your shoulders and make sure the parties responsible for your loved one’s death are held accountable.
White Plains Bus Accident Lawyers: Let Us Handle Your Claim
After a bus accident, you should only have to focus on healing from your injuries. When you partner with the bus accident lawyers at Morelli Law Firm, you can trust our legal experts to pursue maximum compensation for your damages.
Contact our bus accident attorneys in White Plains now. We are ready to review your case and take swift legal action to secure your fair settlement.