Talking to a Mount Vernon fatal truck accident lawyer might be the best way to file a legal claim for damages after the wrongful death of a loved one in a truck accident. The New York legal system can be hard to understand and navigate without professional help.
Surviving family members of a wrongful death victim often face complications after an accident, such as paying for their loved one’s medical bills or taking care of funerary arrangements. When someone else is liable for a fatal truck accident, Morelli Law can also make them liable for the victim’s damages.
What a Fatal Truck Accident Attorney in Mount Vernon, NY, Can Do for You
There are many things a truck accident attorney can do for the surviving family of a wrongful death victim. First, a lawyer will explain the complexities of the legal system and can represent them in court and negotiations with insurance companies. But an experienced law firm can do more than that.
Our truck accident attorneys can conduct a private investigation, contact qualified experts and accident reconstructionists, and interview witnesses. We can also offer the victim’s family a free consultation, where they can evaluate the case and determine the best course of action. And we can do all that while you recover from injuries or spend time with your family.
Have You Been Injured In An Accident? Contact Morelli Law877-751-9800
A Fatal Truck Accident Lawyer in Mount Vernon, NY, Can Determine Liability
Filing a claim for a loved one’s wrongful death represents determining and proving several things. A fatal truck accident attorney in Mount Vernon, NY, will analyze your case, collect evidence and interview witnesses to determine these facts:
- Duty of Care. An attorney must prove that a truck driver, trucking company, or other party had a duty of care to the wrongful death victim. That means they were responsible for taking all necessary precautions to prevent harm to other road occupants.
- Breach of Duty. The duty of care was breached, and the liable party failed to take precautions to prevent harm to the victim, and that failure led to the accident.
- Causation. The breach of duty was the direct cause of the victim’s death. And if the breach of duty had not occurred, the victim would still be alive.
- Damages. Your attorney will then prove that the victim or the victim’s family suffered damages, such as medical expenses, funeral costs, lost income, and other economic losses, resulting from the fatal truck accident.
Mount Vernon Fatal Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me877-751-9800
Cost of Hiring a Fatal Truck Accident Lawyer
Many people affected by a trucking accident’s wrongful death do not claim damages because they think hiring a wrongful death lawyer will be expensive. But the truth is some of the best law firms are the most affordable for surviving family members.
Morelli Law attorneys offer free consultations to surviving family members of wrongful death victims, where they can show you the best course of action for your claim. But we can also work for you on a contingency basis. That means we will represent you in front of insurance companies or court, and you only have to pay after we recover compensation for your case.
Common Causes of Fatal Trucking Accidents
Fatal trucking accidents can occur because of many different reasons. But there are some common causes for fatal trucking accidents. Many accidents cause catastrophic injuries, which lead to wrongful death days or weeks after the event.
Some of the most common fatal truck accidents in Mount Vernon are:
- Driving while fatigued. Many truck drivers exceed their safe limit of driving hours which can cause accidents.
- Distracted driving. Texting or using a smartphone while driving or any other device, such as a GPS, can distract the driver’s attention from the road.
- Driving while intoxicated. Even though this is not common, some truck drivers use alcohol or other drugs behind the wheel.
- Speeding. Truck drivers are subject to New York Speeding Tickets and Penalties and are obliged to drive under the speed limit.
- Poor truck maintenance. Sometimes trucking companies fail to keep their trucks in optimal conditions, which can cause accidents on the road.
- Overloaded or improperly loaded trucks. An overloaded or improperly loaded truck can sway because of loose cargo and hit another vehicle.
- Lack of training. Truck drivers must comply with a series of strict regulations. However, some do not have the proper training and don’t know how to react in dangerous situations.
However, many acts of negligence can lead to a fatal trucking accident in Mount Vernon. Because of that, you should talk to an experienced truck accident attorney who can evaluate your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form nowContact Us
Statute of Limitations for Fatal Truck Accidents
New York’s limitation of time for a fatal truck accident claim is two years. That means surviving family members should file a claim two years after the accident. It is important to note that any claim after that period will be barred.
But many factors can alter and shorten that period. That is one reason why a lawyer can be helpful. Your Mount Vernon fatal truck accident attorney can tell you exactly how much time you have left to file a claim for your loved one’s wrongful death, but they can also get an extension if your time is about to expire.
Contact a Truck Accident Attorney in Mount Vernon
Fatal truck accidents in Mount Vernon can devastate and sink an entire family into debt for years. But when another party is responsible for their loved one’s wrongful death, the family is entitled to pursue damages. Morelli Law attorneys can help them navigate the complex legal system.
If you lost a loved one in a fatal truck accident, there are many things you need to consider to file a claim. Contact our Mount Vernon Offices today, and let our experienced attorneys explain your legal situation and show you how to proceed. We offer a first consultation for surviving family members of fatal truck accidents—at no cost.