In 2019, there were almost 313,000 auto crashes in Illinois, resulting in at least 64,000 injuries and 938 deaths. Car accidents can be devastating and traumatic. They can upend your life in ways you can’t even imagine. Apart from the injuries, they can be a huge source of financial strain.
With the help of an experienced Marion car accident lawyer, you can get satisfactory compensation that will cover all related expenses. Having to deal with accident-related injuries and chasing insurance claims is often too much for an injured person without a lot of experience or their loved ones to do.
But if you have the right legal professional going to bat for you, it’ll be easier to file your injury claim, pursue all damages, and get the compensation that you deserve. Morelli Law Firm’s injury lawyers serving Marion, IL, can help you get your settlement, recover losses, and other benefits.
Recoverable Compensation from a Marion Car Crash Claim
In Illinois, people who are hurt in car crashes may be able to pursue certain damages and recover their losses. There are three categories of benefits that you might be able to claim:
These are the easiest damages to claim and recover in a car crash injury claim in Marion, IL. This is because they are usually financial and have traceable paperwork in the form of receipts, invoices, and payslips. Examples of economic damages that you can seek include:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Diminished or lost future earning potential
- Property damage or repair expenses
- Property replacement costs
- Out-of-pocket costs
These are damages that are just as real but are subjective. They are often referred to as intangible benefits whose value is dependent on the personal experience of the victim. Examples of non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Mental anguish
- Reduced quality of life caused by the accident
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
Although not as commonly awarded as economic and non-economic damages, punitive damages are awarded where there’s proof of malicious intent, wilful harm, or reckless endangerment.
For example, if a driver intentionally tailgates another vehicle and rams into them, causing them severe injury in the process, the court can award punitive damages to punish the driver and serve as a deterrent to other road users.
Remember to keep and save all receipts, invoices, evidence of lost pay, and bills–paid and unpaid–that are related to the accident. With these, it’ll be easier for your auto collision attorney to compute the figures and present a justifiable amount when they file your compensation claim.
Have You Been Injured In An Accident? Contact Morelli Law877-751-9800
What if a Loved One Died in the Auto Crash?
If you lost a loved one because of the injuries they sustained in the car wreck, you can file a wrongful death lawsuit against the defendant. Part of the lawsuit will include claims for the following damages:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Future income and allowances
- Medical treatment costs up until the deceased’s demise
- Loss of society and value
- Loss of companionship
Your wrongful death attorney serving Marion, IL, will be in the best position to ascertain the right benefits to pursue on behalf of your loved one who has passed, as well as, the right representative for the deceased’s estate.
Establishing Liability in a Car Accident Case in Marion, IL
A key part of collecting our claim is identifying the liable parties and ensuring that they are held responsible for your injuries and/or losses. Ideally, the liable person is usually the other driver, person, or entity that caused the crash. But there could be other causes of the car wreck too.
Causes of Car Accidents in Illinois
Determining the cause of the crash is the first important step, and these include:
- Failure to yield
- Abrupt lane change
- Excessive speeding
- Reckless driving
- Sudden animal crossings aka wildlife-vehicle collisions
- Defective vehicle parts can lead to blown tires, failed brakes, and stalled vehicles, among others
- Running a stop sign or red light
- Brake-checking other vehicles
- Road rage activities
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of illicit substances
- Health problems like heart attacks, seizures, or fainting spells
- Driver fatigue
- Bad weather conditions (include bad weather condition link)
- Bad road conditions
- Loose objects from other vehicles
Identifying Liable Parties in a Marion Auto Accident Compensation Claim
These are some of the causes of car crashes in Marion, Illinois. After identifying the cause of the accident, the auto wreck attorney has to then identify who to hold liable. Based on the causes of the crash listed above, some of the more common liable parties are:
- The driver
- Other road users like a pedestrian, a motorcyclist, a biker, or a driver
- Cargo loaders
- Vehicle maintenance crew
- Car owner–if the car is a rental
- Vehicle manufacturer
- Vehicle parts manufacturer
- Local or relevant government agencies
Proving Negligence Elements
As you can see, there are many potentially liable entities that a Marion car crash lawyer can bring legal action against. But, before your lawyer can begin the claims process, the traffic collision attorney has to prove that the accused party was negligent or careless.
And to do that, the car wreck legal professional must ensure that the following four negligence elements are present:
- Duty of care – That the at-fault party owed you an obligation of reasonable safety
- Breach of duty – That through their actions, mistakes, or recklessness, they acted in a manner that threatened your personal safety
- Cause of injury – That their disregard of this obligation led to the accident and caused you harm or injury
- Damages – That you incurred losses, expenses, or damages because they caused the accident
Once your car accident attorney in Marion, IL, can establish these elements, they can easily file a claim with their insurance providers or file a personal injury lawsuit against them on your behalf.
What is Your Car Accident Case Worth in Marion, IL?
After a traffic crash, you may be wondering how much your case is worth. That depends on multiple factors, such as:
- The severity of your injuries
- The extent of property damage
- How long you will be away from work because of the injury
- The possibility that you may not be able to return to full capacity
- Whether you have a temporary or permanent disability
- Whether your quality of life has been dramatically altered
- If you were partially at fault and the degree to which you were at fault–Illinois is a contributory negligence state
- The accident’s impact on your ability to get a new job or retain your old one
- Whether you’ll need to make some modifications to the car or home
- If the injuries have affected your ability to perform your obligations to your partner or family
- How quickly you filed the claim–Illinois has a two-year deadline for filing an injury claim
As you can see, there are many factors, all of which can play a role in your final settlement amount.
Hire an Experienced Marion Car Accident Lawyer
But to recover these benefits, you need the help of a competent Marion car accident lawyer. At Morelli Law Firm, our auto crash attorneys are skilled, dedicated, and committed to helping car crash victims in Illinois, get satisfactory compensation.
We have won many sizable injury claims for other victims through our rigorous investigative processes and relentless pursuit of justice. We believe that you deserve the chance to get your life back on track and move forward.
This is why when we take a case, we will fight for the client until they get what’s theirs. If you have been in an auto crash in Marion, Illinois, and are wondering if you have a case, come talk to our experienced Marion car accident lawyers today. Fill out our free case evaluation form or call us, and we’ll get right back to you.