Being involved in a car accident in New Rochelle is stressful, but finding out that the other party does not have valid insurance can make the situation even worse. Although you may think that their lack of insurance will leave you with a stack of bills to pay, this is not always the case. There are still ways to pursue compensation from an uninsured driver and get the fair financial recovery that you deserve.
If you were involved in a crash with an uninsured driver, hire a New Rochelle uninsured car accident lawyer. Morelli Law Firm offers a free consultation to discuss your situation. One of our attorneys may be able to help you fight for the financial recovery that you deserve. Call (212) 751-9800 today to get started.
New York Drivers Are Required to Have Auto Insurance
Auto insurance can help ensure that anyone who was injured or who had property damage can receive the financial compensation they need to cover their expenses.
New York is a no-fault state, which means that your insurance company will cover certain expenses related to the accident regardless of who was at fault. Drivers in New York are legally required to have an auto insurance policy with a minimum of $25,000 coverage for bodily injuries to one person and $50,000 for all injured persons, according to the New York State Department of Financial Services (NYSDFS). The driver must also have a policy limit of $10,000 for property damage arising from the accident.
A driver can also choose to maintain a larger insurance policy and seek additional coverage through a supplemental uninsured/underinsured motorist (SUM) coverage policy.
Your lawyer will go over your insurance benefits with you to help you understand what kind of coverage you have and how it may apply to your situation. Your lawyer can also make sure that your insurance company is playing by the rules. All too often, insurance companies try to avoid paying policy benefits or try to shortchange the amount that the insured is owed. This can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you are suffering from painful injuries and major disruptions in your life as a result of the crash.
To learn more about whether you are entitled to policy benefits, contact Morelli Law Firm. We offer a free consultation so that you can learn about whether a New Rochelle uninsured car accident lawyer can assist you in securing the financial recovery that you deserve. Call now at (212) 751-9800.
Have You Been Injured In An Accident? Contact Morelli Law877-751-9800
Hold a Careless Uninsured Driver Responsible
For significant damages beyond the auto insurance benefits that you are able to receive under your policy, you may be able to seek additional compensation from the at-fault driver. Unfortunately, some drivers ignore the state’s insurance rules and choose to forgo coverage. This may be because they cannot afford the payments, are unaware of the rule, or simply want to cut corners. In this situation, you could bring a personal injury lawsuit against the driver to obtain compensation for your injuries and damages.
In a personal injury lawsuit, there are four things that the plaintiff must prove before they can receive compensation:
- Duty: you must show that the other driver owed you a duty to drive with reasonable care and skill at the time of the crash.
- Breach: you must show that the other driver failed to operate their vehicle according to this standard. A breach can involve distracted driving, drunk driving, speeding, not yielding the right-of-way, and more.
- Causation: you must show that the other driver’s breach of their duty was the primary cause of your injuries. If they can prove that some other factor was the primary cause, then they may not be required to pay you compensation.
- Damages: you must provide evidence to support the damages that you are seeking in the lawsuit, like medical bills, lost earnings, and permanent disabilities.
Each of these elements is critically important. You cannot win a judgment in your favor without proving all four.
New Rochelle Uninsured Car Accident Lawyer Near Me877-751-9800
A Lawyer Will Assist You with Many Aspects of Your Case
There are many different types of evidence you can use to establish each element of negligence, including:
- Photographs of the accident
- Video surveillance from any cameras in the area
- Documentation regarding your injuries and medical treatment
- Testimony from a medical expert about the long-term impact of your injuries
- Testimony from an accident reconstructionist about how the accident happened
- Testimony from a life care planner about the ongoing costs of your medical care and lost wages
- Eyewitness testimony from individuals who witnessed the crash
One of the main things that your lawyer will do is pursue evidence on your behalf and start building the strongest case possible. Some of the other ways that your lawyer will work on your behalf include:
- Filing key documents with your insurance company and/or the court
- Making sure all deadlines are met
- Keeping records of your payments and expenses
- Contacting expert witnesses on your behalf and retaining them to work on your case
- Keeping you informed about the process and what to expect
- Negotiating a settlement on your behalf and/or preparing for trial
- Holding your insurance company accountable
Let the Morelli Law Firm Help You Today
Do not wait any longer to start pursuing the financial recovery you deserve after an uninsured driver hit you. A New Rochelle uninsured car accident lawyer at Morelli Law Firm wants to help you during this difficult time. Call us now for a free and confidential consultation at (212) 751-9800. We charge no upfront or out-of-pocket fees, as we only take our payment once you receive compensation.