More Huntington residents have started using Lyft due to the ease of ordering a ride, the convenience, and increased driver availability reducing wait times. However, accidents involving Lyft rideshares have also become more prevalent as users flock to the app. If you have suffered injuries in a crash involving a Lyft, you could recover compensation for your injuries.
When you work with a Huntington Lyft accident lawyer at Morelli Law Firm, we can help you navigate the often-complex process of pursuing a claim. Our attorneys can work with you to determine what insurance policies apply, calculate a fair case value, and explain what the process entails.
Types of Damages You Can Recover After a Lyft Accident in Huntington
The exact amount you can recover in damages will depend on several factors in your case, such as your injuries and the insurance policies held by those involved. However, you could recover a wide range of compensatory damages after a Lyft accident leaves you injured. Depending on the facts of your case, you could recover compensation for:
- Medical expenses to cover your present and future care
- Lost income to cover present and future wages you didn’t earn while you recover
- Property damage if the crash broke any of your belongings
- Additional out-of-pocket costs such as assistive services or transportation expenses
- Pain and suffering to cover emotional and physical losses
- Emotional anguish to cover mental distress due to the crash
- Loss of enjoyment, opportunity, and companionship from the mental agony you’ve experienced
- Physical impairment, disfigurement, or disability due to accident-related injuries
Especially in cases with severe or life-altering injuries, such as those that happen at high speeds, it is essential to do a careful calculation that includes a reasonable valuation of your future expenses. Our Lyft accident lawyers can work with you to use your monetary and subjective damages to calculate a settlement value that reflects the entire scope of your losses.
How We Can Help with Your Lyft Accident Case
At Morelli Law Firm, our injury lawyers can help after a Lyft accident in Suffolk County. We understand the nuances of Lyft accident cases and can provide much-needed clarity on possible options for recovery. Some of the ways we could help with your Lyft accident case include:
- Investigating all potential causes of the crash and identifying all parties involved
- Collecting information about the Lyft driver’s status and company driving history
- Determining what insurance policies exist to cover your losses
- Gathering key evidence such as surveillance and dashcam footage, medical records, witness testimony, and Lyft internal records related to the driver
- Calculating an accurate settlement amount based on your specific injuries and other losses
- Handling all correspondence with the insurance companies involved, Lyft, the driver, and other parties involved
- Informing you of your options for recovery and advising on your possible next steps
- Representing your interests and working toward getting you the compensation you need.
- Ensuring you meet the statute of limitations to file your lawsuit and other potential deadlines that apply to your case
After a Lyft accident in Huntington, our lawyers can work with you at every stage to ensure you have what you need to recover from your injuries. Our accident attorneys work with you at every stage of your Lyft case.
Understanding the Costs of Hiring an Accident Lawyer
At Morelli Law Firm, we represent Lyft accident victims in Huntington on a contingency basis. As a result, we can start at no out-of-pocket cost when you work with us. Instead, we receive payment at the end of your case if you recover compensation, usually a percentage of the total settlement amount. There might also be additional court or other fees that apply.
Huntington Lyft Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
Insurance Considerations Related to Your Lyft Accident
Although Lyft accident cases fall under the same general rules as most New York car accidents, some unique considerations can increase the complexity of pursuing the compensation you need. For example, one of the more complicated aspects of Lyft accident cases in New York involves the insurance policies available.
Lyft Provides Coverage in Some Cases
Lyft provides insurance for bodily injury and property damage for accidents involving rides with their service. However, according to NY VAT § 1693, these policies and the specific coverage provided depend on the driver’s status at the time of the crash. In general, Lyft insurance policies only cover damages up to certain limits when the driver has logged onto the app or while completing a ride.
The Lyft Driver’s Insurance Policy May Also Apply
All Lyft drivers in Huntington and throughout New York must have a personal insurance liability policy. Therefore, in cases where a Lyft driver is not logged onto the app at the time of the crash, you may need to look to their insurance policy for coverage. However, you might have to consider liability concerns when determining the exact policies that may apply.
The Impact of New York’s No-Fault Laws on Your Lyft Case
New York’s no-fault laws require all vehicle owners to carry specific amounts of personal injury protection (PIP) insurance. These policies pay benefits for injuries with no consideration of fault. Generally, after a car accident, you would look to your PIP policy to cover your medical expenses.
However, NY ISC § 5103(b) includes exclusions for accidents involving Lyft, further complicating the process of determining which insurance policies apply. After a collision involving a Lyft in Suffolk County, our lawyers can work with you to understand the specific New York laws that may affect your claim.
Contact Us Today for Help with Your Lyft Accident Case
If you have sustained injuries after a Lyft accident in Huntington, Morelli Law Firm can work with you to pursue compensation. Our injury lawyers can help you determine possible liable parties and insurance policies that may apply to cover your losses related to the crash.
Call us today at (212) 751-9800 to learn more about how we can help with your Lyft accident case.