Rideshare services such as Uber and Lyft offer quick transportation that is usually a safe option to get where you need to go. However, accidents can still happen in rideshares, leaving victims with serious injuries. After an accident involving a rideshare service, you may be able to receive compensation for your damages and other losses.
If you are looking for an attorney to represent you after a rideshare accident, the legal team at Morelli Law Firm can help. An Englewood rideshare accident lawyer from our firm can work on your behalf to build a compensation claim for your injuries.
How Our Rideshare Accident Attorneys in Englewood Can Help with Your Case
Accidents are often traumatic, life-changing events. Additionally, the process of recovering compensation can be time-consuming and complex. We will help you at every stage of your claim and work to get the compensation you need to recover from your injuries.
A rideshare accident lawyer from our legal team will represent your interests and explain your potential legal options for recovery. Some of the ways we may be able to help include:
- Collecting supporting evidence: Police reports, medical records, photos of the crash scene, and documents from the rideshare company can help you make your case to the liable party’s insurance company.
- Calculating your damages: If you are unsure about your case’s value, we will determine a value for your claim, which includes your total losses.
- Filing paperwork: Correctly filling out and submitting required documents, such as your initial demand letter, is a crucial part of any claim or lawsuit.
- Negotiating with the insurer on your behalf: The insurance company may not offer everything you are due. Depending on your case’s issues, the negotiation process may require several offers and counteroffers before resolving.
- Going to court: We will help determine if you need to file a lawsuit and take your case to court. If so, we will work with you to prepare and submit all required legal documentation.
- Keep you informed: We will provide regular updates about significant developments and progress in your case.
Regardless of the specific facts of your accident or where you are in your claim currently, our accident attorneys can help you work toward getting the compensation you deserve.
When You Can Recover From the Rideshare Service’s Insurance Policy
In New Jersey, rideshare companies must hold specific insurance policies to cover injuries and other losses that the service involves. However, these policies only apply when certain conditions are present. According to NJ Rev Stat § 39:5H-10, rideshare companies, also known as transportation network companies (TNCs), must provide coverage only when:
- A driver from their service is logged in to the app and prepared to accept ride requests
- A driver from their service is completing a ride request
When a driver is not logged onto the service and is liable for an accident, their insurance policy usually applies.
Englewood Rideshare Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
Understanding the Statute of Limitations for Filing a Rideshare Accident Lawsuit
Your case may involve complex issues around applicable insurance policies, liability, or the exact amount of losses. These questions can make it challenging to settle, so you may decide to take your case to court. If you choose to file a lawsuit, you have two years from the crash date to submit your case, per NJ Rev Stat § 2A:14-2,
It is essential to work quickly to ensure you do not miss the statute of limitations deadline. Filing your rideshare accident lawsuit with the proper New Jersey court before the deadline is crucial to preserving your right to recover compensation after a crash. Our rideshare accident attorneys will explain what time limits apply in your case and work with you to ensure you meet the deadline.
Damages Available in an Englewood, N.J., Rideshare Accident Case
Damages are the different types of accident losses you have for which you may be able to seek compensation. Generally, we classify your damages into two distinct categories: economic and non-economic.
Economic damages include any tangible, monetary losses you experience from the rideshare accident. For example, you may qualify for the following types of non-economic damages:
- Lost income: For when you cannot work or make the income you depend on while recovering from your injuries
- Future lost wages: Compensation for the wages you are expected to lose during your recovery time
- Medical expenses: Costs related to the emergency care you received right after the accident, follow-up care, or long-term care, such as hiring a home nurse
- Funeral bills: Compensation to surviving family members if a loved one died from their accident injuries
Non-economic damages include anything that caused you physical or emotional pain after the accident. For example, you may qualify for non-economic damages if you experienced:
- Pain and suffering: Accidents can have a devastating impact on your physical and emotional health.
- Disfigurement: If your injuries will never fully heal or are severe enough to significantly impact your daily life
- Disability: You lost one or more body parts, systems, functions, or senses because of your injuries.
- Loss of companionship: If your loved one died because of the crash, and you can no longer turn to them for advice or affection
Increased Rideshare Vehicles on Roads Can Lead to More Accidents
In 2019, the Pew Research Center reported that more than one-third of all adults in the United States had used a ridesharing service. Services such as Uber and Lyft can provide significant benefits for those without sufficient transportation options to find a low-cost way to arrive at their destination.
However, with more rideshare vehicles on the road, traffic accidents may also increase. These crashes can be devastating for the passengers in the rideshare vehicle and the occupants of any other vehicle involved in the collision.
Rideshare Accidents Happen for Various Reasons
Although the rideshare driver may be responsible in some cases, such as if they were distracted or failed to follow New Jersey traffic rules, accidents can also be the result of:
- A malfunctioning vehicle or vehicle part: Some accidents result from a defect with the vehicle or a faulty part or component of the vehicle.
- Roadway problems: Sometimes, foreign objects left in the middle of the street or an invisible slick spot can cause rideshare drivers to lose control of the vehicle.
- Environmental problems: Thick fog, heavy rain, and even the glare from oncoming headlights can decrease visibility, increasing the chances of a motor vehicle crash.
In many cases, rideshare accident victims in Englewood can recover compensation if they are hurt in an accident. Depending on the accident’s facts and cause, you may be able to seek compensation to cover your injuries and other losses after a rideshare accident.
Contact Morelli Law Firm for a Free Consultation Today
If you have been hurt in a rideshare accident in Englewood, our injury lawyers can help. We will answer questions you may have about your case, explain the factors that could affect your case’s value, and ensure you meet any applicable deadlines. Additionally, we can determine which insurance policy may cover your losses.
Contact us at (212) 751-9800 today for a free consultation to learn more about your potential compensation options after a rideshare accident.