When you have suffered injury or loss because of big business negligence, you may feel as though justice is a hopeless consideration. However, you might discover that you are one of dozens, hundreds, or thousands of people suffering.
When a corporation, government entity, or other large institution violates the rights of employees, consumers, patients, or students, it takes just one voice to begin the change. With representation from a Clifton class action attorney from Morelli Law, you can pursue justice.
When Can I File for a Class Action?
Filing a class action can begin as soon as the actions of the organization caused harm to you. There is no waiting period to file a class action complaint. If a company harms hundreds or thousands of people, a consumer class action lawsuit is likely to be appropriate.
It all begins with one person filing a class action complaint. Class action attorneys in Clifton are able to help you make that first step and walk you through every part of the process.
How to Choose a Class Action Lawyer
When thinking about filing a class action suit, choosing the best class action lawyer for your needs should be your goal. There are some simple questions to ask and consider to help you determine which class action law firm will be the most suitable match.
Your attorney should be able to navigate different jurisdictions. Class action cases may begin in district or state court, but in cases that meet certain criteria, The Class Action Fairness Act (CAFA) of 2005 allows defendants to remove class actions to federal court.
Procedural differences between higher courts and municipal courts are vast. An experienced class action attorney will possess understanding of the jurisdictional differences and possibilities. Experience in all these courtroom settings with class action cases is critical for your success.
Being on solid working terms and getting along with your attorney contributes to a smoother process. It benefits no one if you feel awkward, disrespected, or uncomfortable dealing with a law firm. Some questions to ask yourself as you consider a class action attorney are:
- Are your questions answered in a way that is understandable to you?
- Can you talk comfortably and openly with the attorney about the case?
- Does your attorney respect your input and value your opinions?
- How available is your lawyer?
- Are concerns responded to within a reasonable time?
lass Action Experience and Track Record
Law firms accustomed to handling high profile class action litigation may field multiple calls regarding the same injuries, losses, or violations. Experienced class action attorneys in Clifton, NJ recognize the value of seeking class certification in these cases, or when it is wise for you to pursue an individual lawsuit to be fully compensated for your loss.
Find an attorney who has a successful track record serving as the lead counsel in class action cases. Pleading and proving class certification and having the skills to determine the best possible representatives in your class are hallmarks of the expertise that is specific to class action filings.
The amount charged by the attorney in the contingency fee agreement can vary from 25-35% or even higher in complex cases. Every lawyer you meet with should be transparent about fees and address your questions to your satisfaction.
The lead plaintiffs should evaluate the fee agreement, seeking a law firm that emphasizes cost management. Class action investigations and litigation are notoriously expensive as a rule because the cases are very complex and the number of plaintiffs involved can be huge. Good attorneys understand the stakes and work to reach the best outcome in a timely manner.
Though contingency case legal fees do not come from the plaintiff’s pocket, the cost of litigation will be tacked on to the settlement agreement or award in most cases. Efficient attorneys that are experienced in this type of litigation will save you money in undue mistakes and wasted time.
Clifton Class Action Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
What Are the Steps of Filing a Class Action Lawsuit?
Here is a brief overview of the steps to file your suit. Your Clifton class action attorney will walk you through every step of the way.
- First, you and your peers will designate a primary plaintiff. There can be more than one primary, and often several are named in more substantial cases.
- The complaint will be filed to begin the case with the primary plaintiffs being named officially. Following that is the formal request to become certified as a class. In order to be certified as a class, several conditions exist. First, there must be enough plaintiffs, the complaint must be common in nature to all the plaintiffs.
- Then, it needs to be proven that a specific action is the cause of all the complaints. It is not enough to simply declare “fraud.” Once that is proven, the counsel and the lead plaintiffs must be free of any conflicts of interest in order to prove their adequacy to represent the entire class fairly and adequately.
- If these conditions are met, the class action suit will be approved as long as the court decides that the action is in the pursuit of justice and that there are enough similarities between the parties to outweigh differences. Then, the attorney will be free to begin working the case, negotiating and moving forward with the class action lawsuit.
Costs and Fees for a Clifton Class Action Attorney
Attorneys for this kind of litigation will charge an average of 25-35% on a contingency basis. This means no money is paid until the case is won or settled. Plaintiffs have no financial obligation to the firm if the case is unsuccessful.
However, it’s important to clarify fees and get them in writing up front to avoid any issues in the future. Our practice is to accept class action lawsuits on a contingency basis with no cost up front. Not having to worry about unexpected charges lets you focus on the case.
Call Today to Learn More About Your Legal Options
There is no need to feel intimidated by giant organizations. The attorneys of Morelli Law have decades of class action litigation experience and know how to handle complex litigation. We remain passionate about obtaining justice for clients who have been harmed due to the negligence of another. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.
The Morelli Law Firm is the preeminent firm for class actions and mass tort lawsuits. Attaining record-setting wins in civil rights cases and product liability litigation, our class action lawyers in Clifton, NJ have delivered over $1 billion in awards and settlements to plaintiffs who truly deserved compensation.