If you don’t know what to do or how to get your compensation after a crash with a semi or an 18-wheeler, our St. Charles truck accident lawyers can help you get the money you need. Truck accidents can often lead to catastrophic injuries or loss of lives. This can, in turn, cause financial ruin and alter the victim’s life.
This is largely because of the sheer size of the trucks, which often weigh about 80,000 pounds when fully loaded. Compared to the relatively small passenger cars or even smaller-sized trucks, which weigh between 4,100 and 15,000 pounds, their weight means that they can easily crush these smaller cars and their occupants.
Yet, truck drivers and/or their companies often try to shift liabilities or blame. This is why you need an experienced truck collision attorney in St. Charles, MO, who will fight to ensure that you get the money that you deserve.
St. Charles Truck Accident Attorneys and Identifying Liable Parties
Truck collision cases are usually more complex because of the many potentially liable parties that could be involved. Although most people typically think of the driver as the liable person, the reality is that’s not usually the case.
So, even if a truck driver is found to have been driving while drunk, texting while driving, or under the influence of some substance, there may also be some other people or entities responsible. For example, a driver may engage in reckless or aggressive driving just because they were compelled by the company to exceed their hours of service.
If they’re involved in an accident while engaging in such acts, the victim can sue both the driver and the company that forced him to drive for longer than the mandatory hours. Apart from the truck driver, some other third parties who may also be held liable in a truck collision case include:
- Truck owners
- Truck company
- Truck and truck parts manufacturers
- Safety inspectors
- Maintenance companies and service providers
- Cargo loaders
It is imperative to ensure that a thorough investigation is carried out to ascertain the various parties whose negligence likely led to your crash. Also, you’ll need to be very patient when it comes to an 18-wheeler wreck case as most cases take between 1-2 years before they’re resolved.
However, please note that even though these cases typically take time, the insurance companies involved might be willing to settle on time. Just make sure that you speak to an injury lawyer at Morelli Law Firm before taking any money from the at-fault party or their insurance companies.
We will evaluate the offer they’re giving you and determine if it’s fair. If it’s not, we can send them a counteroffer that we think is fair.
Compensation You Can Recover in a St. Charles Truck Accident Claim
Injured victims in a wreck between multiple semis or involving other passenger vehicles can claim the following compensation under Missouri Law:
- Lost wages – You may be able to seek and recover any loss of income caused by the accident. For example, if you have to be out of work for 6 months, this compensation will take care of that.
- Medical costs – This covers all monies spent on past, present, and future treatments. If you have spent some money in the past or are continuing to do so, you’ll get the reimbursement. And if you’ll be needing additional care in the future, this will cover it.
- Extra costs – These cover all extra expenses that you may have made as a result of the accident and the injuries you sustained. Examples include childcare costs, home modification costs, transportation, and other costs brought on by your injury.
- Loss of future earning capacity – This is awarded when someone’s injuries are likely to impair their ability to perform their jobs at pre-accident levels.
- Pain and suffering – This covers compensation for emotional and mental trauma that can’t be easily quantified in dollars and cents.
You may also be able to receive benefits such as punitive damages. This depends on whether the driver’s recklessness was intentional, or they intentionally acted in a way that endangered the health and safety of other road users.
St. Charles Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
Factors Affecting Compensation in a Missouri Truck Collision Claim
How much you’ll get as compensation depends on the following:
- Who was at fault
- Other liable third parties
- The at-fault party’s insurance coverage
- The extent of your injuries and/or property damage
- Competent legal representation
Every truck accident case in St. Charles, Missouri, is unique. Some cases attract higher settlements than others. Also, your role in the crash can affect how much you’ll get as compensation.
For instance, if you’re partly responsible for the accident, Missouri, being a pure comparative negligence state, will award a settlement amount. However, the settlement you’ll eventually receive will be less by the percentage to which you were found culpable too.
For example, if you were awarded a $500,000 settlement but were found to be 10 percent responsible for the accident, the state will deduct $50,000 from the total sum, and ask the insurance company to pay you $450,000.
Get Help from an Experienced St Charles Truck Accident Lawyer
Our experienced truck crash attorneys serving St. Charles, MO, can increase your odds of getting the highest settlement amount possible. Morelli Law Firm is a nationally acclaimed law firm that caters to victims of truck accidents.
We have recovered over $1 billion for our clients because of our expertise, skills, and tenacity. We work hard and will fight for you until you get the money that you deserve. Remember that you didn’t ask to be in an accident, you didn’t ask to be hurt, you didn’t ask to lose your loved one, and you didn’t ask to be out of work and worrying about your loved ones.
You should get all that’s due to you. And that’s our promise to you at Morelli Law Firm. Get in touch with us for a free case evaluation today or call our law offices for a free consultation.