As a Carbondale business owner, you need to be on the lookout for problems in your business before they cause profit loss. However, there are some issues that it’s better to have Carbondale commercial litigation lawyers deal with.
At Morelli Law Firm, our personal injury lawyers in Carbondale can help you identify your business issues and develop a plan to solve them. We offer a free consultation where you can learn if you have a valid case.
Are You Facing Any of These Types of Issues in Your Carbondale Company?
Our team of commercial litigation attorneys in Carbondale has over 40 years of combined experience helping businesses in Illinois protect their companies’ success and shareholders. If you’re facing any type of these challenges, we can help you:
- Employment disputes
- Debt collection
- Property issues
- Contract disputes
- Intellectual property protection
- Shareholder and partnership disputes
By hiring our team, we can help you find solutions to these issues and save you the stress. You can focus on your business’ success while we work on your case. In your consultation, you can ask any questions you have.
Have You Been Injured In An Accident? Contact Morelli Law877-751-9800
Resolving Common Commercial Litigation Scenarios
Our commercial litigation attorney in Carbondale at Morelli Law Firm is familiar with the most common business issues owners face and has a strategy in place. Here are the most common scenarios and how we resolve them:
Breach of Supply Agreement
If a manufacturer fails to deliver ordered inventory on time, it can seriously disrupt a retailer’s operations and cost them money. Our lawyers can thoroughly analyze the supply agreement contract language regarding production requirements, delivery deadlines, and what constitutes a breach.
We can send a formal demand letter to the manufacturer outlining the issues and requesting damages be paid. If they refuse to negotiate reasonably, we are prepared to file a commercial lawsuit on your behalf. During legal proceedings, we will provide evidence of the breach and lost profits you sustained as a result to recover monetary compensation.
Dispute Over Payment
Non-payment of contractor fees is a common cause of conflict in construction. We would work closely with our client contractor to gather all documentation relating to the project payment schedule, change orders, and amounts still due.
Our goal would be to settle the final bill amount through an alternative dispute resolution process like mediation, if possible. However, if the developer continues denying payment, we have experience litigating payment cases in court. As their legal representation, we would make all necessary filings and effectively argue our client’s position to obtain a ruling enforcing compensation for work performed.
Patent Infringement Allegations
When a startup faces allegations that a new product unlawfully uses another company’s patented technology, it can threaten its very existence. Even if you’re a small business, our team of commercial litigation attorneys will thoroughly evaluate both the patent claims and your design to determine if an infringement truly exists.
We may file petitions to invalidate questionable patents. Also, we could open negotiations with the other company to explore a mutually agreeable solution, such as a licensing agreement allowing our client to continue operations. If litigation becomes unavoidable, we will strongly advocate your case in court.
Partnership Buyout Dispute
Valuing and dissolving a partnership smoothly requires careful handling, given the inherent conflicts between existing and remaining partners. We assist by examining the operating agreement for provisions outlining buyout processes, valuation formulas, and dispute resolution methods.
Our role includes advising on leverage points to negotiate a fair price, given current circumstances. When an agreement cannot be reached, we represent your partner’s interests in mediation or arbitration proceedings. If needed, we file legal actions to enforce contractual rights and fiduciary duties, ensuring your interests are equally considered.
Landlord-Tenant Rent Dispute
Interpreting lease amendments, particularly those made under extraordinary market conditions, adds complexity for landlords seeking back rent. In this scenario, we will demand rent records from your landlord and obtain details about payment shortfalls.
We dissect the amended lease language addressing rent obligations and grace periods granted. This guided approach informs whether pursuing arrears through the judicial system or alternative dispute resolution is the best strategy. Our goal is to either successfully defend against a tenant’s non-payment claim or collect what is contractually owed.
What Can a Carbondale Commercial Litigation Lawyer Do for You?
Throughout the legal process, we can help you with a variety of legal tasks in your commercial litigation case. If your business is involved in a legal dispute, having an experienced commercial litigation lawyer on your side is important. Our commercial lawyers in Carbondale can help you:
- Represent your business in court: A commercial litigation lawyer will aggressively represent your company’s interests in negotiations, mediation, arbitration, or trials. We know how to build a strong case to obtain the best possible resolution.
- Analyze contracts and agreements: Any contracts or agreements central to the dispute will be thoroughly examined for ambiguous terms, hidden provisions, or ways they can support your legal position. We offer guidance on strengthening documentation going forward.
- Pursue legal claims: Our commercial litigation lawyer in Carbondale is familiar with the potential legal claims involved and how to build the most persuasive arguments for your position. We will work to establish liability or defend against the other party’s allegations.
- Provide litigation strategy: A strategic approach is key to successfully managing risk and winning litigation. An experienced lawyer can create a game plan, anticipate tactics, file appropriate motions, and take other steps to maximize your odds of a positive outcome.
- Negotiate settlements: Most disputes are resolved through settlement negotiation rather than trial. Your lawyer brings negotiation skills honed from years of business litigation experience to get the most favorable settlement terms possible.
What Damages Can You Recover in Commercial Litigation Cases?
After you experience losses in profits or even labor at your Carbondale business, you could be eligible to recover damages. Some of the most common you could recover include:
- Compensatory damages: These are intended to compensate you for actual losses and harms you suffered. This can include economic damages like lost profits, lost business opportunities, and repair costs.
- Consequential damages: Broader damages that were a foreseeable result of the breach or conflict but may not have been expected, like lost future business.
- Punitive damages: Imposed in some tort cases for intentional/reckless misconduct to punish and deter similar acts.
- Liquidated damages: Pre-agreed upon damages specified in a contract, if breached, that must still be reasonably related to anticipated losses.
Contact Us For Carbondale Business Litigation Solutions
At Morelli Law Firm, our commercial litigation attorneys in Carbondale are ready to help you and your business thrive. We’ll gather evidence and determine what damages you qualify for.
Contact us today for a free consultation.