The boroughs of New York City play host to an endless amount of construction projects, shipping terminals, and other operations that require cranes. As a result, many workers and unsuspecting passersby are injured in crane collapses and other crane-related accidents every year.
If you’ve been injured in such a construction accident or another incident involving a crane, you’ll need a seasoned legal team to get you the compensation and remedies you need to put your injuries behind you. Contact a Brooklyn crane accident lawyer from Morelli Law to get the experienced counsel and representation you deserve.
How a Crane Accident Lawyer in Brooklyn Can Obtain Damages for You
When you take legal action after a serious workplace or construction accident, your attorney will aim to get you the damages you need to pay your medical bills and get back on your feet. Doing so involves several different steps that require a skilled legal mind and access to important resources.
Here’s how a Brooklyn crane accident attorney can help you obtain the compensation you’re owed:
Calculate Your Settlement Value
Knowing how much your claim or lawsuit is worth is crucial if you want to get the financial remedies you need to come back strong after an accident. To calculate how much you’re owed, a lawyer will first identify the damages you’re eligible to receive. Then, they’ll determine how much you’re owed for each one using bills, invoices, and other records.
If your case is successful, you could receive any of the following damages:
- Medical expenses
- Ongoing and future treatment costs
- Cost of assistive devices and physical therapy sessions
- Lost wages
- Decreased earning ability due to long-term condition or disability
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Identify the Liable Party
This is an important step in your case, as the liable party is the individual or entity that will be held responsible for the economic and non-economic losses you’ve suffered. To determine who should be held liable, your lawyer can conduct an investigation into the accident, figure out what caused the accident, and find the evidence they need to prove who’s to blame.
A crane accident attorney in Brooklyn can determine which of the following parties should be held liable for your injuries and accident-related expenses:
- Your Employer: According to OSHA requirements, workers must have the proper training and certification to operate a crane. If your employer failed to train a crane operator, hired one without the proper licensing, or committed another type of OSHA violation, they may be held responsible for the accident and the challenges it’s caused you.
- A Crane Operator: If a crane operator caused the accident due to negligence, intoxication, an honest mistake, or reckless behavior, your attorney could file a lawsuit against them.
- A Crane Loader: Workers must be cautious about how much they attach to a crane, as all cranes have a certain weight limit. If you were injured in a crane collapse caused by overloading, your lawyer might take action against the individual(s) responsible for loading the crane.
- A Maintenance Provider: Cranes require inspections and maintenance to protect workers from serious accidents and injuries. If our team finds that your crane accident was caused by a maintenance company’s failure to provide effective repairs,
- A Manufacturer: All it takes is one defective component or poorly designed part to cause a major crane safety hazard or dangerous mechanical failure. If the accident you were hurt in was caused by a faulty part, the manufacturer might be held accountable for your injuries and suffering.
Demand Fair Compensation
Depending on the circumstances of your accident and who is responsible for it, a crane accident lawyer from Brooklyn, NY, may choose to file an insurance claim or a lawsuit against the at-fault party. If they pursue a settlement via a claim, they’ll probably have to negotiate with the insurance provider, as most insurers are hesitant to offer damages.
At Morelli Law, our attorneys have dealt with stubborn insurers since 1998. As a result, we have the negotiation skills and knowledge necessary to reach a fair agreement with the liable party’s insurer. However, we can still take your case to court if we cannot obtain a sufficient settlement.
If we take your case to trial, we’ll present the evidence we gathered during the investigation clearly and effectively. Then, your attorney will make a strong argument as to why you should get the justice and fair verdict you deserve.
Have You Been Injured In An Accident? Contact Morelli Law877-751-9800
Taking Legal Action After Losing a Loved One in a Crane Accident
If your family member or spouse has passed away due to injuries suffered in a crane accident, we are sorry for the grief and loss you’re experiencing. During this difficult time, it can be hard to take the actions necessary to bring the at-fault party to justice and get the financial support you need to move forward.
Fortunately, a wrongful death lawyer from our team can help you file a lawsuit against the party responsible for your loved one’s passing. If your suit is successful, you could receive compensation for the decedent’s medical bills, funeral and burial costs, loss of financial support, mental anguish, and several other losses.
Filing Deadline for Crane Accident Lawsuits in Brooklyn, NY
If you or your loved one has been involved in a crane accident at work or in another setting, CPLR § 214 states that you have three years from the date of the incident to file a lawsuit. EPTL § 5-4.1 gives you two years to submit a suit for wrongful death damages.
Whether you’re taking action for an injury or the loss of a loved one, it’s critical to the success of your case that you get your suit filed on time. Submitting your lawsuit after the state-imposed filing deadline could result in you being denied the compensation you need to put the pieces of your life back together and protect your future.
A crane accident lawyer located in Brooklyn, NY, can manage your case efficiently and make sure all the necessary documents are filed promptly. If you believe your filing deadline has passed, they can advise you on any alternative legal options available to you.
Our Team Is Eager to Get Started on Your Case
No one should have to shoulder the burdens of a serious crane accident without receiving compensation for the financial losses, and other setbacks caused. If you’ve been affected by a crane accident, the team at Morelli Law can help you develop a strategy for your case and pursue maximum compensation for your losses.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with a Brooklyn crane accident lawyer. If they agree to help with your claim or lawsuit, you won’t have to pay an upfront legal fee. Instead, they’ll provide the services you need for a contingency fee, which is a portion of the compensation you receive from your case. If we don’t win your case, you don’t pay!