Car accidents can leave victims struggling with expensive medical bills and a number of other serious losses. If you’re dealing with the aftermath of an auto collision, you might be unsure whether or not you need to hire a lawyer.
At Morelli Law Firm, we believe contacting an experienced car accident lawyer is always beneficial, even if your losses are minimal. However, at the end of the day, it’s up to you to decide if hiring a lawyer is best for you.
To help you make an informed decision, we’ve compiled a list of six reasons why it’s good to hire a car accident attorney.
1. A Car Accident Lawyer Can Investigate Your Crash
To get you the compensation you need to pay for medical treatments and other related expenses, you’ll need evidence. More specifically, you’ll need evidence that shows the other driver was responsible for the collision and that the accident caused you to sustain bodily harm, emotional damage, and financial loss.
A car accident lawyer can work with investigators to collect footage of the crash, source relevant police reports, gather testimony from eye-witnesses, and even analyze vehicle damage. Once they’ve found the documents and statements they need to hold the at-fault driver liable, they’ll compile it in an insurance claim.
Have You Been Injured In An Accident? Contact Morelli Law877-751-9800
2. A Lawyer Will Negotiate With Insurers
Another good reason to get a car accident attorney is that they can deal with insurance companies. Insurers are always trying to take advantage of unsuspecting claimants by offering lowball settlements and looking for ways to delegitimize honest claims.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident caused by another driver, you won’t want to go up against their insurance provider alone. If you do, it’s highly likely that you won’t receive the amount of money you need to make a full financial and physical recovery.
If you hire an experienced car accident attorney, they’ll be able to negotiate with insurers to reach an offer that accounts for all your losses. Lawyers know how to deal with even the most stubborn insurance adjusters, and have hundreds of hours of experience negotiating with them. They’ll make sure you receive every last cent you deserve.
3. Car Accident Attorneys Have Essential Courtroom Experience
While most car accident victims get their compensation from an insurance settlement, some are forced to take matters to a civil court. If the guilty party’s insurer refuses to offer a sufficient payment, your only option will be to file a lawsuit.
A car accident lawyer can help you navigate the difficult and confusing process involved with taking a negligent driver to court. They’ll present the evidence they’ve gathered to the jury, bring witnesses to the stand, and make a carefully constructed argument as to why you must receive ample compensation.
While the likelihood that you’ll need to file a lawsuit is relatively low, the potential for a courtroom battle is still a good reason to hire a car accident attorney. You never know if you’ll have to resort to a trial to get the money you need to get back on your feet, so it’s important to be prepared.
4. Your Lawyer Will Meet Important Deadlines
Their knowledge of important legal deadlines is another excellent reason to hire a car accident attorney. If your lawsuit must be filed by a certain date, your lawyer will be aware of it and will work quickly to get everything submitted on time.
In New York, personal injury and car accident lawsuits are governed by CVP § 214. This law states that all auto collision lawsuits must be filed within three years of the accident date. If your claim is filed late, you could risk going uncompensated for the pain, bills, and mental distress you’ve been faced with.
Each state has a statute of limitations for filing personal injury claims. Your lawyer will be knowledgeable about these deadlines in your state.
5. An Attorney Can Determine Which Damages You’re Owed
Without a background in personal injury law, you might be completely unaware of some of the damages you qualify for. A car accident attorney can evaluate the effect your collision has had on every aspect of your life and determine which losses are legally recoverable. They’ll make sure receive compensation for every loss you’ve experienced, including:
- Medical costs: These damages can pay for any doctor’s appointments, medical procedures, surgeries, prescription drugs, or assistive devices you need to recuperate from your injury.
- Lost wages: If you missed work because of your injury, these damages can compensate for the wages you weren’t able to earn.
- Decreased earning ability: Long term injuries can prevent car accident victims from performing their workplace duties. If that’s the case for you, an attorney can secure compensation to make up for your decreased earning ability.
- Vehicle repair bill: The collision you were injured in may have also damaged your vehicle. If you provide your car accident attorney with a copy of your repair bills, they’ll get it reimbursed for you.
- Pain and suffering: The pain from a severe car accident injury can be unbearable and can prevent people from focusing on daily tasks and enjoying life’s simple pleasures. If you’re dealing with a significant amount of physical pain and suffering from your injury, your lawyer can request these damages.
6. Car Accident Lawyers Don’t Charge Upfront Fees for Their Services
The majority of car accident attorneys don’t charge upfront or out-of-pocket fees for their services. Instead, they charge what’s known as a contingency-fee. If you haven’t filed a personal injury claim before, you might not know that a contingency-fee is a portion of your settlement or jury verdict.
In exchange for legal counsel and representation, attorneys generally take 30% of your overall winnings. If your claim is denied, you won’t have to worry about paying out-of-pocket, as there is generally no fee unless your attorney wins your case. Affordable advocacy is yet another reason why you should get a car accident attorney to help with your case.
Hire an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer Today
Now that you know all the reasons why it’s good to get a car accident attorney, it’s time to take action and hire a legal expert. The car accident lawyers at Morelli Law Firm have decades of experience helping victims of auto collisions obtain the compensation they’re entitled to.
An attorney from our firm will investigate every aspect of your case and use their findings to build a solid insurance claim. If need be, they’ll also represent you in court and meet any deadlines that apply to your claim. To get the affordable legal counsel you need, contact our firm today to schedule a free case evaluation.