When you hear about large truck accidents, that means those involving 18-wheelers, buses, cement trucks, trucks carrying fuel, and more. According to data presented by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), large truck crashes during 2017 resulted in 4,237 fatalities. They are not uncommon in this country.
About Common Truck Accidents
Common causes for large truck accidents include:
- Aggressive driving
- Alcohol, drug, or medication intoxication
- Defective parts, tires, or trucks
- Distracted driving, including texting and CB radio use
- Driver fatigue or exhaustion
- Driver inexperience
- Excessive cargo or improper loading
- Trucks in poor condition
- Violation of federal law by driving too many hours
Have You Been Injured In An Accident? Contact Morelli Law877-751-9800
Understanding the Common Injuries Resulting from a Truck Accident
When you are thinking about common truck accidents, understanding their resulting injuries is just as essential. Examples of common truck accident injuries include:
- Back and neck problems: These issues lead to a host of symptoms, including acute or chronic pain, reduced range of motion, numbness, and paralysis.
- Broken, fractured, or shattered bones: When the body experiences the blunt impact of a large truck, it is not built for withstanding that impact. As a result, arms, legs, and other bones in the body risk breaks, fractures, or shattering.
- Knee damage: If your knee experiences an injury during a large truck accident, that could affect its bones, cartilage, discs, ligaments, muscles, tendons, and more.
- Internal organ damage: Acute injury, bleeding, and bruising to internal organs could potentially lead to complications that are severe or life-threatening.
- Spinal cord injuries: During large truck accidents, the spinal cord is particularly vulnerable. Victims might experience changes in sensation or strength, loss of function or mobility, pain, and a host of other problems according to the Mayo Clinic.
- Traumatic brain injuries: There are two ways a victim can experience a traumatic brain injury during a truck accident. The first is a direct blow to the victim’s head. The second is jostling to the victim’s head.
- Wrongful death: As devastating as this is, many large truck accidents could result in the loss of life.
Let Morelli Law Firm Help You Recover the Compensation You Need
Understanding common truck accidents might confuse many, particularly if you are a victim of one of these crashes. When you work with a truck accident attorney, that means they are building your case using every possible resource. That involves looking at the federal laws regarding common truck accidents, as well as their resulting injuries.
No two truck accidents are the same. Therefore, victims might benefit from legal help. A legal professional outlines the factors they focus on regarding building a successful case and recovering as much compensation as possible. Those factors include:
- An in-depth understanding of the state’s and federal trucking regulations and violations
- Having thorough knowledge regarding the collection and preservation of evidence
- Locating and preserving evidence that is typically “lost” by trucking companies
- Fully understanding which recoverable damages are available to the victim and their families
About Federal and State Trucking Laws
Truck accidents, as well as just about every other type of motor vehicle crash, typically fall under personal injury laws. Specific federal and state laws also apply to truck accidents. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration defines strict regulations regarding the safe operation of large trucks. Examples of these regulations include:
- Driver logbooks
- Employment records
- Hiring, training, and licensing of personnel
- Hours of service
- Truck driver schedules
- Use of alcohol, drugs, prescriptions, and over-the-counter medicines
Recoverable Damages for a Trucking Accident
It is unimaginable what the victims and their families go through following a truck accident. Not only are there immediate consequences, but there are long-term issues as well. Our team understands the severity of these challenges, as well as the need for compensation to cover expenses. Therefore, we work diligently on your behalf for recovering damages, including:
- Emotional distress
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Lost wages or disability
- Medical bills and other expenses
- Ongoing care costs
- Pain and suffering
Contact Morelli Law Firm Today
If you experienced an injury from a trucking accident, we are available to help recover the compensation you are entitled to. Call Morelli Law Firm today at (212) 751-9800 so a member of our team can review your case today.