The amount of the monetary settlement you receive from your nursing home abuse case will depend on several factors that include the type and severity of the abuse inflicted on your family member. It also depends on the psychological abuse they endured, the treatment required to restore their health as fully as possible, and the costs of relocating them to a facility where they will feel safe and well cared for.
Our nursing home abuse lawyers help elderly victims, and their families get the compensation they deserve by assessing their individual claims. Therefore, we do not seek an average nursing home abuse settlement for the clients we represent. Instead, we work hard to ensure your case is thoroughly and accurately valued, and we fight hard for the favorable settlement you deserve.
What Damages Can I Pursue in a Nursing Home Abuse Case?
The National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care guidelines dictate that nursing home residents have the right to feel safe and secure and receive quality care that enhances their lives while in the facility you chose for them. If your elderly family member is, instead, victimized in their nursing home, we help you seek the following recoverable damages:
- Emergency room and hospital stays
- Required prescription medications
- Surgical procedures, therapy, and rehab
- Treatment-related travel expenses
- Mental and emotional health care
- Physical pain and suffering
- Punitive damages, if applicable
If your loved one succumbs to their abuse at any time after it occurs, we also help you seek wrongful death damages. These can include the reasonable costs of their funeral and burial. It can also include losses for your family, including the loss of their companionship and their loss of enjoyment of life.
Types of Elder Abuse That Occurs in Nursing Homes
According to National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA) research, your loved one can be victimized by six different types of abuse in a nursing home. These can include:
- Physical abuse, including all acts of violence or forcible restraint
- Sexual abuse, including any unwelcome sexual contact
- Psychological abuse, including threats, intimidation, and humiliation
- Financial abuse, including theft of personal property and cash
- Neglect including refusing to clean, care for, or interact with the resident
- Peer abuse, including any form of abuse inflicted by another resident
When you chose a nursing home for your relative, you expected them to be cared for with the compassion, kindness, and respect they deserved. Our nursing home abuse attorney will help you fight back if they were abused and seek financial compensation from the at-fault facility or their insurance provider.
What will a Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer do to Help My Case?
Investigating abuse, uncovering the details of your loved one’s abuse, and gathering evidence – particularly photos and videos that could be graphic and difficult to view – can be difficult for the victim’s family. This is where our team comes in. Our legal team gathers the evidence that supports your case and:
- Builds a compelling case file
- Identifies and interviews witnesses
- Handle communication and correspondence
- Negotiates a favorable settlement on your behalf
Nursing home residents are entitled to compassion and do not deserve to be neglected or abused by their staff or peers. However, if your elderly loved one was, we are committed to fostering their physical, financial, and emotional recovery. We start the representation process by listening to their story with empathy and with a goal toward an appropriate financial settlement.
Learn More About Our Client Service Experience
Victims of nursing home abuse and their family members deserve legal service and support, leading to financial compensation. When they tell others about our supportive environment, they leave testimonials like these on our client reviews page:
- “Their services were exactly as expected. They were helpful, patient, & kept me informed in all steps. I would hire them again.” – Janice Miles
- “Michael Schlesinger was excellent in every way…Michael’s team was first rate as well. I am so appreciative.” – J Moses
- “I contacted the Morelli law firm regarding a personal injury case. They were super-fast and professional in answering my questions.” – Thomas Weber
- “Attorney David Sirotkin was amazing… I would recommend Morelli Law Firm to anyone who needs a top-flight law firm.” – Dillon John
- “Morelli Law Firm was the best to deal with and David took the time to always talk and treated me like family… Thank you, to all.” – Brian Busche
We will work as hard for you as we have for each of these clients. Your loved one and your family are entitled to compensation for their injuries, humiliation, and psychological care.
Contact Our Office Today to Learn More About Nursing Home Abuse Settlements
Request a no-cost evaluation of your nursing home abuse case to find out how we can help you pursue the negligent facility and collect a favorable nursing home abuse settlement. Contact Morelli Law Firm today by calling (212) 751-9800.