There are many attributes to look for in a truck accident attorney, including their familiarity with truck accidents and investigations, as well as regulations truck drivers must follow.
Being part of a truck accident is devastating for all parties involved. If you or a loved one is the victim of a truck accident, you might be entitled to compensation.
Before recovering those damages, though, you must accurately calculate your losses and build a liability case. On top of location, what you should look for in a truck accident attorney is someone that can be on your side, and no one else’s.
When choosing a truck accident attorney, you must think about specific factors. That way, you know you are feeling comfortable and understand how they negotiate and litigate. These factors include:
- Familiarity with truck accidents: How much experience does the firm have with truck accident cases? It might also be beneficial to ask the firm how they would handle one of these cases.
- Familiarity with truck carrier regulations: The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulates how truck companies and commercial vehicle drivers operate, and a truck accident attorney should know these rules inside and out in order to work your case. Some of the rules are about driver’s qualifications, alcohol and drug testing, and more.
- Familiarity with truck accident investigations: If the firm has experience in truck accident cases, they likely know the intricacies of investigating a truck accident. Truck accidents can often have many more negligent parties than a passenger vehicle accident. Therefore, a law firm should know which parties to look into.
How a Truck Accident Attorney Can Help Claimants
Truck accidents can be some of the most dangerous on America’s roadways. If a driver is not using the appropriate level of caution and care, that could place unsuspecting motorists at risk. Working with a truck accident attorney means you receive help for the following types of cases:
- Drugged or drunk truck driving accidents: There are rigid safety expectations regarding substance use and driving a truck, set by the FMCSA. That means the driver must be accountable for their actions when they choose to drive under the influence.
- Defects or truck malfunctions: These types of accidents involve malfunctioning brakes, defective tires, insufficient underride guards, and trailer malfunction. Because the FMCSA says drivers must inspect these defects daily, those experiencing injuries as a result of these issues could be entitled to compensation.
- Trucking company negligence: The cause for many truck accidents involves negligent acts, including inadequate or a lack of training, hours of service violations, hiring unqualified drivers, and a failure to inspect trucks.
- Driver negligence or error: If a driver is unwilling or unable to make safety a priority, they could be responsible for truck accidents. Those accidents might involve aggressive driving, driving in adverse conditions, hauling too much weight, and failing to use turn signals.
What a Truck Accident Attorney Can Do for You
Aside from the types of cases a law firm handles, how they handle the case is often important to the outcome. Some of the things a truck accident lawyer should do for you include:
- Investigating the truck accident
- Handling all claims documentation from beginning to end
- Negotiating damages with insurance companies
- Taking your claim to court
- Recovering the compensation you are entitled to
Recoverable Damages for a Truck Accident
Another factor to consider when choosing a truck accident attorney is recoverable damages. Because every truck accident case differs, attorneys must take several steps toward proving fault. Then, they also consider the facts of the case, the nature of your injuries, and several other factors, including limits on applicable insurance policies. Examples of recoverable damages following a truck accident include the following:
- Burial and funeral costs for wrongful death cases
- Current loss of income
- Diminished quality of life
- Disfigurement, disability, or paralysis
- Future loss of income
- Loss of companionship and support in wrongful death cases
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- PTSD and other emotional distress
Contact Morelli Law Firm Today
If you are a victim of a truck accident, we are available to help recover the compensation you deserve and need. Call Morelli Law Firm today at (212) 751-9800, so we can review your case today.