The aftermath of a car accident can leave you feeling lost and helpless. Where do you turn after you’ve been in a crash? Can you call any lawyer to help?
The truth is that, while you can call any number of lawyers to help you after a car accident, you should have high standards for your attorney. Some law firms just care about money and some lawyers don’t have the experience nor the skill necessary to get you the compensation you deserve.
Read more about how and when you should choose your lawyer. When you’re ready to talk to someone about your car accident, don’t hesitate to book a free consultation with a lawyer from Morelli Law Firm. Our team knows what they’re doing and has your best interests at heart.
When Should You Call a Lawyer After an Accident?
Car accidents happen every day. Sometimes there’s no need for a lawyer – accidents happen, and if nobody was at fault or no damages occurred, then there’s no need to call an attorney. However, that’s often not the case.
With the advancement of smartphone technology and people’s constant need to be connected at all times, it can seem like negligent drivers are a bigger problem than ever. If someone else was at fault for your accident, then you could benefit from at least talking to a lawyer. If the following are true, then you could have a valid car accident claim:
- The other driver owed you a standard of care, which is the basic level to which anyone can be reasonably expected to treat other people. When you’re on the road, no matter who you are, you owe other drivers a standard of care.
- The other driver breached that standard of care. This is known as negligence.
- The other driver’s negligence caused you quantifiable damages, usually due to injury.
It’s important to keep in mind that, in New York, your injuries need to pass the serious injury threshold to be grounds for a lawsuit. If you’re not sure whether you have a valid claim, you can get a free consultation with a New York car accident lawyer who can assess your case and tell you what your options are.
Is It Worth Hiring a Lawyer for a Car Crash?
Yes, if you have any damages from your car crash, then it’s worth at least talking to a lawyer about them. You may be tempted to let your accident go, but medical bills can pile up and if you weren’t responsible for the accident, then you shouldn’t have to pay.
Attorneys often do more for car accident victims than you might expect. When you hire the right car crash lawyer, they’ll do more than just argue in court–they’ll take care of every step of the legal process and try to prove that you deserve maximum compensation. Things that your attorney will do for you include:
- Investigate your accident and gather evidence
- Calculate your damages to accurately show how much you’re owed
- Negotiate with the other party’s lawyer and the insurance company
- Fight for you in court, if necessary
What If My Case Needs to Go to Court?
With the right lawyer, most car accident cases are settled outside of court. However, cases do occasionally go to trial. If that happens, our team will fight for you in the courtroom to get you the best deal possible.
If you’re tempted to try taking on your case by yourself, you should probably rethink. People who try to represent themselves are often missing vital information and skills that they need to take on the other party’s representation.
If you’re not sure whether you should hire a car accident attorney in New York, it’s at least worth it to talk to one for free. At your initial consultation, a lawyer will be able to tell you what they can do for your specific case so you can make an informed decision.
How Do You Choose an Attorney for a Car Accident?
When trying to choose a lawyer to represent you after a car accident, it can feel like there are just too many options. It may be tempting to just pick the first one you see on an ad, but there are some criteria you should hold your attorney to. After all, you shouldn’t call just any lawyer–you should call the right one.
When choosing an attorney for a car accident, you should look for one who:
- Specializes in car accidents. There are some law firms that seem to do a little of everything, but you should pick a firm with lawyers dedicated to helping car crash victims.
- Has experience. Without experience, lawyers can miss details or neglect to do something essential for your case. You should pick a law firm that has been helping accident victims for decades.
- Shows results. Some law firms talk a big game but don’t have any results to show for themselves. Look for a law firm that has clear and impressive case results.
- Doesn’t charge anything upfront. When a lawyer is truly confident in their ability to get you results, they don’t charge anything unless they get you compensation.
- Gives free initial consultations. Your attorney should be transparent enough to talk to you for free before you hire them. If a lawyer doesn’t offer free consultations, that’s a red flag that they might not be totally honest about their services.
The best way to choose a lawyer is to actually talk to them and make an informed decision. At your first meeting, you can go over your case with one of our car accident lawyers in New York and see how we’ve secured over a billion dollars for our clients.
Talk to a New York Car Accident Lawyer for Free
After a car accident, it can be hard to know where to turn and who has your best interests in mind. Some lawyers just want your money and don’t care about your recovery. The New York car accident attorneys at Morelli Law Firm do care.
Call us or contact us online to talk to one of our attorneys today. One meeting will show you why we’re better than just any old car accident firm.