Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare apps are common methods of transportation. Unfortunately, while many riders find rideshare apps useful, they can also be quite dangerous. When you choose to ride with a stranger in their vehicle, your safety is in their hands. Sometimes, a rideshare situation ends in a crash.
If you were a rideshare accident victim, you have legal rights. In some cases, you could even pursue compensation. A Passaic rideshare accident lawyer with Morelli Law Firm can help you determine if filing a claim or an injury lawsuit is an option for you. You can learn more today during a free consultation with our team.
Recoverable Compensation in a Passaic Rideshare Accident
People who have been in a rideshare accident may be able to pursue compensation for the emotional, physical, and financial damages they suffered because of someone else’s negligence.
Emotionally, the sudden trauma of an accident could leave you feeling anxious, fearful of traveling, stressed, and even depressed. You also could be experiencing sleeplessness and other ongoing effects of your accident.
In some cases, rideshare accident victims must live with emotional trauma. You may even need therapy or professional help to cope with the aftereffects of your accident.
Physical injuries also occur in rideshare accidents. Minor injuries like cuts, scrapes, and bruises are common, but so are more severe injuries like broken bones, dislocations, injuries to the head and neck, loss of mobility, and more.
The bills from doctor visits, expensive prescriptions, damaged property, and other losses can add up quickly. It is likely that you had not budgeted for such a sudden flood of expenses.
You Could Be Compensated for Medical Expenses, More
While every rideshare accident case is different, you may be able to seek compensation for:
- Medical expenses (past and ongoing) and legal fees
- Damages for your emotional hardships
- Lost wages, lost earning capacity if the accident affected your ability to work
If you choose to file an insurance claim or an injury lawsuit, having a lawyer representing you could be helpful for many reasons.
Rideshare Insurance Can Be Complicated When Determining Accident Liability
One of the complicated aspects of rideshare accidents is that they potentially involve multiple parties and insurance companies. As a result, it can be challenging to figure out exactly which entity is liable for your damages.
This is because rideshare drivers could have personal vehicle insurance, rideshare insurance, and liability insurance through an application like Lyft or Uber. There could also be potential gaps in coverage after a ride has been confirmed but before passengers have officially been picked up.
The bottom line is that if you were in a rideshare accident, you deserve to be covered. A lawyer with experience in accidents like yours can help you sort out the details of your case and determine if you can seek compensation from the party or parties responsible for your accident.
Passaic Rideshare Accident Lawyer Near Me 877-751-9800
Why Hiring Our Passaic Rideshare Accident Lawyer Can be Beneficial
If you hire a rideshare accident lawyer from Morelli Law Firm, you could strengthen your case and ease the stress of filing your action in several ways. Our lawyer team will:
- Investigate your accident and collect evidence to support your case, including speaking with eyewitnesses
- Explain the types of compensation that you are due if your claim or lawsuit is successful
- Negotiating with the liable party’s insurer
- Filing a lawsuit on your behalf if a settlement is unreachable
- Answers your questions and explain all laws that apply to your case
- File all case paperwork on time, meeting key deadlines
We Will Meet Your Case’s Statute of Limitations Deadline
The statute of limitations refers to the time you have to act following a rideshare accident or the onset of injuries. This means that your window for taking legal action could be closing.
In New Jersey, you have two years to act following an accident or the onset of injuries, per NJ Rev Stat § 2A:14-2. Speaking to our Passaic rideshare accident lawyer will help you learn how much time you have to file legal action and whether that is the next step for you.
Negligence Can Cause Rideshare Accidents
Many rideshare accidents are preventable, often caused by negligent behavior. Negligence, by definition, is failing to act safely or reasonably in context of the task at hand. If you use a rideshare service, for example, a driver engaging in unnecessarily dangerous behavior could be liable for your damages.
Examples of Negligent Behavior
Potential examples of negligence on the road could include:
- Mechanical failures: Using a rideshare app means you are entering an unknown vehicle that may not be safe. If your rideshare driver failed to keep their vehicle up to safety standards, they could be liable for your accident.
- Speeding: Speeding raises the potential for loss of vehicle control, and it could have led to or played a role in your accident. A speeding driver is a negligent driver, and you could have a case if speeding was a factor.
- Distractions on the road: Distracted driving injured more than 400,000 people in 2019, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Examples of distracted driving include looking away from the road, eating, engaging in conversation, listening to loud music, playing with a rideshare app, and more.
- Reckless driving: Sudden lane changes, careless maneuvers, failing to obey traffic laws, running stop signs, and other forms of reckless driving can put you in danger.
- Driving under the influence (DUI): Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is illegal and dangerous. A rideshare driver operating a vehicle under the influence could be at fault for an accident.
Call Us Today About Your Passaic Rideshare Accident
If you think someone else caused your accident, you may have a case to hold them financially accountable. You can learn more about your legal options with our Passaic rideshare accident lawyer today.
If you are ready to take action today, Morelli Law Firm can help. Call (212) 751-9800 today for a free consultation before it is too late.