Firm Represents Waitress Who Suffered Burns to Arm from Gas Leak
A Manhattan woman who was 23 years old when she was severely injured while working as a waitress by a gas explosion, received $3.1 million in damages against the lighting company. The plaintiff was on her break in the employees’ bathroom when she lit up a cigarette next to a pipe that was leaking natural gas, which ignited and engulfed her face, hair, arms and hands in fire. She was hospitalized for a month, and was permanently disfigured from the burns and numerous skin grafts that were required to repair her face.
When a jury rules like this in a sexual harrasment case, they know that it was international, and they also know that the reason this manager was able to get away with this was that the company had to be looking the other way."