New York, New Jersey, and Nationwide
As either the only employee of a small company or one employee of a large corporation, you may experience sexual harassment at your job. Sexual harassment is expressly prohibited by federal law, and you have the right to pursue legal recourse without fear of losing your job, income, or benefits because of your legal actions.
If you are being sexually harassed by your employer or another employee, the employment discrimination attorneys at Morelli Ratner PC want to help you protect your legal rights and gain compensation.
What is Sexual Harassment?
Legally, a coworker or employer may not make sexual advances toward you which:
- Do not end after you have expressed the desire that they stop
- Create a hostile work environment
- Threaten you physically or emotionally
- Affects your job status or security if you do not accept them
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) was created to protect you from unwanted sexual overtures at your job, and federal laws give you the right to retain your job and job status if you choose to pursue legal action against offenders. Sexual harassment may also constitute:
- Comments of a suggestive manner
- Requests for sexual favors inside or outside of the workplace
- Derogatory or offensive sexually-oriented comments
- Actions taken by any gender toward the opposite or same gender
- Derogatory statements about your gender which were not directed to you, but which were made in your hearing by a member of the opposite gender
- Derogatory statements about your sexual preference
Protecting Yourself against Sexual Harassment
Sexual harassment may happen at any time to any individual, regardless of age, race, gender, or sexual preference. If you have been the victim of sexual harassment in your workplace, you should contact our legal staff immediately to learn what steps you can legally take to protect yourself.
You should not be afraid of losing your job or position at a company because of your legal action against sexual harassment. The law prohibits an employer from firing or demoting you for taking legal action against sexual harassment offenders. Additionally, your employer is prohibited from docking your pay, denying you benefits, or denying you promotion on the grounds of your taking legal action.
If your boss or coworker is harassing you sexually, please contact the experienced sexual harassment attorneys of Morelli Ratner PC today, protecting your rights and the rights of individuals throughout Manhattan, New York City, New York, and New Jersey. We also serve clients nationwide.