New York, New Jersey and Nationwide
If you are one of the millions of women working in the US work force, you have been exposed to comments or treatment that is prohibited by the law. However, men can also be the victims of sex discrimination; being treated differently because of your gender in a way that is detrimental to your “terms or conditions of employment.”
If you have been subject to negative work treatment or harassment in the workplace because of your gender, the experienced employment discrimination attorneys at Morelli Ratner PC link to firm bio want to help you receive the justice you deserve according to federal law.
Types of Sex Discrimination
Sex discrimination can affect any aspect of your workday, but some of the more common ones are specifically prohibited by law. You may be the victim of sex discrimination in the workplace if you experience different treatment because of your gender in the following categories:
- Hiring – If you are not hired because of your gender.
- Firing – If you are fired because of your gender.
- Job classification – If you perform the same tasks as your coworker, but because you are different genders you receive a lower job classification.
- Benefits – If you are denied benefits or the use of benefits because of your gender.
- Pay – If you experience a pay cut or are denied a raise because of your gender, or if you perform equal duties as your coworker, but your coworker is paid more because you are different genders.
- Sexual harassment – If your employer or management makes sexual overtures toward you, causing you anxiety or discomfort in your job position.
Protection for Sex Discrimination Victims
As a victim of sex discrimination you are protected from retribution for choosing to pursue legal action against your employer. Your employer is prohibited by law from firing you, demoting you, or lowering your pay because you pursue the company or individual for sex discrimination.
Sex Discrimination against Students
Under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, schools and teachers are also prohibited from discriminating sexually against students. This includes both curricular and extracurricular activities, and protects students from pre-school through graduate school against negative or different treatment based on gender.
In New York or New Jersey, if you have experienced sex discrimination either as an employee or as a student, please contact the sex discrimination attorneys at Morelli Ratner PC today and let us protect your rights in New York City, Long Island, Staten Island and the surrounding areas. We also serve clients nationwide.